• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

waiting is more painful than anything so far!

Guest Kyu

Me once again!

I want to ask you all something, but first a story (i'll keep it brief, due to the fact i need to get to bed. =-=)

So i went to my GP and took and insanely deep breath before I told her the straight facts, she took it really well.

She said to me she wasn't really able to help my as far as HRT goes, and that i would have to go to a professional therapist. After my check up she said she would put me forward to a GT.

i left happy, knowing i did the best i could and proper progress was being made. Within about an hour and a half, i received a phone call.

The conversation was a little hard to make out, over the stampede of lunch deprived students (at this point i was at the college). But she told me i would be recieveing 2 phone calls; one from a GT to book an appointment, and one for a physical assessment i think it was. Please correct me if i'm wrong. (i think i have to go to the assessment before i can see the GT)

But i have been waiting almost a week with my phone at my side at ALL times. I realize a watched pot never boils, but i am really exited at how fast the clinic got in touch. But i digress, waiting is absolutely killing me because i have no idea how long it takes.

So (at last) here is my question:

How long did it take for you to hear from you GT? I know it will be different for everyone, i'm just looking for a guesstimate to ease my mind.

And with that out of the way, i really need to sleep. Thanks again guys for the help.

Huggles,

-Kyu

Guest Robin Winter

I waited several months, I waited several weeks to hear from my GT, and another several weeks to actually get in to see him. Totally worth the wait though :D

Guest Lauren~

Why are you waiting for your doctor to do something? I picked my GT Myself, which you probably would want to do. Find someone you're comfortable with, talk to them, see how they are etc. Youre General Doctor might not pick the right one for you. The way I first tried to find these things out was call around to some trans- groups or something to that effect. The women I spoke to from the organization gave me a bunch of GT's names and their phone numbers.

Rachel,

You are in the UK, right?

Here in the USA things work might differently for everybody, depending on location and other factors. I called my GT directly and she called back within a few hours. We have a LOT of options sometimes, but not always...

If you are 'in the system' in the UK, you'll need an answer from somebody more local to yourself...

Major CONGRATS for getting the ball rolling!

WOW!!!

BIG STEP!!!!

Things will only get better from here, me thinks! :)

Love and Patience for you, Svenna

Guest Luturna

I went to my GP and got a referral for my assessment within 3 weeks and when I went to the assessment and got a letter saying they are referring me and thats as far as I've gotten in 4 months. Referrals to GID clinics will take a long time and from what i hear is 9 months from when you put your request in as this is due to getting the referral and the the clinic looking to get the authorization from the PCT to fund you and then for them to have an hour appointment for intake and trying to fit you in which can be a few months down the line.

There is however an option which can help you along the way and it is to do it privately to get hormones which will be faster. First ask your GP if they will authorize prescriptions given from a private practice. If so then you will get it on the NHS pay scale other than the £30+ per script. If you go this method over time it could cost you up to £2000 but once your referral has gone through you can switch back then full NHS treatment.

Hope that helps you.

Lucy

xxXx

Thanks for the response guy, it looks like i'm going to have to hang on a little while huh?

Well at least now i have a rough idea of how long this will take. I will keep the privet route in mind, however i am not in the best financial position. i suppose i could go full time until my assessment goes through, but again that is something that needs thought. I guess i'll ponder on it, on the brighter side it means i can get into shape before i go on to transition.

Still i'm making progress which is all that matters.

Huggles,

-Kyu

Guest Robin Winter

Don't worry hun, it'll pass before you know it and then in a flash you'll forget what it was even like having all that icky testosterone in your blood. Seems like a long time now, but it passes :)

Thanks for the response guy, it looks like i'm going to have to hang on a little while huh?

Well at least now i have a rough idea of how long this will take. I will keep the privet route in mind, however i am not in the best financial position. i suppose i could go full time until my assessment goes through, but again that is something that needs thought. I guess i'll ponder on it, on the brighter side it means i can get into shape before i go on to transition.

Still i'm making progress which is all that matters.

Huggles,

-Kyu

That is a VERY mature and reasonable way to handle the situation, Kyu, well done!

It really IS a big thing to have come as far as you have lately. HUGE advances have been made towards resolving your inner issues, yay!!

As others have said, it seems lime forever, but time still passes as predictably as ever. Soon enough, you will be full steam ahead (IF that is what you decide you want/need)...

Very happy for you, Svenna

I hope so, i'm already in the habit of pampering myself to death. Needless to say my mum's face when she came down this morning to find me wearing a mud mask eating ice cream was priceless :P But in all honestly, i have this forum to thank! If it wasn't for this place i would still be sat in my bathroom. X3

I hope so, i'm already in the habit of pampering myself to death. Needless to say my mum's face when she came down this morning to find me wearing a mud mask eating ice cream was priceless :P But in all honestly, i have this forum to thank! If it wasn't for this place i would still be sat in my bathroom. X3

I hear ya, sister!

Before I found Laura's I was in very BAD shape, but with the enormous amount of quality information and genuine caring and support I found here, I am well on my way now...

I am always pleasantly amazed at how effective this place can be, but as in all things, you get out what you put into it. This place is a well-spring of hope...

Love, Svenna

• 3 weeks later...