• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

bras

Guest kimberly c

Guest kimberly c

Hi Ladies, what is the best way to wash my bras, they are underwire and not sure I should use the washer each time.

Thanks Love Kim

• Forum Moderator

Hi Kim, I use a hand wash soap called "Forever New" for my bras. I always hand wash my nice bras, this soap makes them smell so fresh and it preserves the elastic, I dry them first with a towel and then hang them up to dry, I never put my good bras in a dryer. It's decorative with colorful bras hanging around in my office. I get this soap at Macys in the lingerie dept.

Cindy -

Guest Sarah1967

I run my nice ones by themselves in the gentle cycle, always fasten the clasps first, then hang them up in the shower to dry.

What about putting the Bra or Bras in the mesh bags for the bra an panties, I think with the bras being in the bag a better chance of the bra not getting messed up in the washer.
Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Bra bags are good, I have one. You don't need to put your panties into it, just toss them in with the rest of the wash. The main point of the bag is to just keep the straps from wrapping around other things and to keep the hooks from snagging on fabric. Never put those in the dryer! Always hang them up to dry.

or if you're doing laundry at a public laundromat, shove them into the bottom of your laundry bag (if you're not out yet) and wait until you get home to hang them up to dry.

Guest Sarah1967

Bra bags are good, I have one. You don't need to put your panties into it, just toss them in with the rest of the wash. The main point of the bag is to just keep the straps from wrapping around other things and to keep the hooks from snagging on fabric. Never put those in the dryer! Always hang them up to dry.

or if you're doing laundry at a public laundromat, shove them into the bottom of your laundry bag (if you're not out yet) and wait until you get home to hang them up to dry.

It might be a good idea to put lace trimmed panties in bag. I had a nice pair of lace trimmed panties get the lace ripped off of them when they got caught under the Agitator. I need to get 2 of those bags one for my bras an the other for my panties.
Guest Lizzie McTrucker

It might be a good idea to put lace trimmed panties in bag. I had a nice pair of lace trimmed panties get the lace ripped off of them when they got caught under the Agitator. I need to get 2 of those bags one for my bras an the other for my panties.

Lol, my panties are plain boring hanes her way or fruit of the loom cotton briefs. If one gets ripped I just toss it out since they're pretty inexpensive.

Guest rita63

I'll have to hunt up my bag its packed away. I used it on canoe trips, fill it with beer, anchor it in 8-10 ft. of water and it chills the beer great. Now if I can find it my bras will be happy.

hugs rita

Guest ZoeG360

I use mesh bags but even though the hooks are closed they work loose and catch on things. I hook them closed on the innermost loops then fold it over and put a rubber band around it a few times. Works great. All it takes is one hook to cause a bra to get twisted tight enough to wreck it (or something else).

Like others said, never put them in a dryer.

Zoe

Guest Sarah1967

I use mesh bags but even though the hooks are closed they work loose and catch on things. I hook them closed on the innermost loops then fold it over and put a rubber band around it a few times. Works great. All it takes is one hook to cause a bra to get twisted tight enough to wreck it (or something else).

Like others said, never put them in a dryer.

Zoe

Thanks for tip about using the rubber band I will remember that...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Damond

I don't think my mother or I have really done anything special for washing bras. We hook them in the back, like if you were wearing them, to keep them from snagging and thats about it. Wash them with colors or whites like anything else we would. Have never had a problem. (then again the bras are very plain, no lace or anything. Don't know if that makes a difference)

Guest ZoeG360

Mackenzie: That is cool. I have a Walkman thats about the size of a Nano, and I always tuck it in my bra, but it sometimes slips out. This is better

• 9 months later...

I hand wash all my bra's in Woolite. How's that old saying go. You'll Look Better in a Bra Washed in Woolite. Woolite makes a Bra Look Alive, or something like that. Same goes for my panties and nylons. Love Amber L.

I always use a mesh bag, clasps hooked together and a mild cold water wash. Then I lay them on a towel and run my ceiling fan and they are dry in about 20 minutes.

I like nylon panties and wash them separately again in another mesh bag in cold water wash. They to dry quickly under a ceiling fan.

I learned these tips from my mother who was a woman's fashion buyer and clothing store owner. It just makes sense to protect the elastic sewn into the fabric, because when you lose the elasticity, the garment is ready for the trash.

Ksthryn

• 1 month later...
Guest *Natalie*

Umm, I'll have to look into getting myself a bra bag. I've never heard of them to be honest. I just use the hand wash program on my washing machine. Haven't had a problem yet.

Kaylee

LOL I tried hanging them from the ceiling fan. Then forgot and hit the switch. My dog was sleeping and then got pelted with flung bras. I've got the little guy in therapy. It was too much trauma for the little guy. He was seen running through the house with a bra stuck over his head. He still shakes at the sight of one of my bras. Kathryn

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Deenah

hand wash with very little soap. I don't wash mine but maybe once a week if that...Then air dry,I hang them on a hanger and every few hours i'll check to be sure there shape is not getting funny.

Panties i toss in a lingerie bag before they go in the wash,then low heat till dry unless there really expensive ones,then i'll let them air dry..