• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Snake Bytes

Guest Lani

What are "Snake Bytes"?

Metal spikes in your lips that make you look like you have fangs.

Something to keep from ever getting a decent job or being thought of as a productive citizen.

Guest Lani

What are "Snake Bytes"?

Something to keep from ever getting a decent job or being thought of as a productive citizen.

Don't judge people!

• Admin

Dentist's love 'em for the extra work they create due to chipped and cracked teeth. Needless to say the dental insurance companies who pay up to $5K or double or triple that for the crowns or bridges needed are less than enthusiastic. But if we can't be young and foolish when we are young, when can we be young and foolish?

What are "Snake Bytes"?

Don't judge people!

I am entitled to my opinion. As are you. I somehow made it past the teen years without marking my body to badly, and now that I am old and not so wise, I can tell you forthright that if you walk into my establishment looking for a job and have them in your face, you do not even need to bother filling out an application, you aren't getting hired. The hospital I work for will NOT let you come to work with them in. Show up with them in and you have 2 choices, take them out, or go home.

Sorry yougin'. troof is troof.

• Forum Moderator

What we do to our appearance sends a message. When we decide to step outside the norm -as is our right-then we have to be prepared to face both judgment and consequences. When it is something we have no choice about-like transitioning-it is just a part of the process and we have no choice. When it is piercing or tats or other voluntary alterations or aberrations then I don't think we can complain about the forseeable consequences.

In other words-do it if you want but take the consequences without complaint because it IS your choice. Part of being adult enough to alter your appearance is being adult enough to accept the consequences of your behavior.

Not saying that you should or shouldn't. Only you can decide that. I would say with any piercing of the mouth or nose please be sure and research the possible medical complications as well as considering the societal ones. They are formidable if any infection develops and can involve the brain

Johnny

Guest Jaques

Im having all my bottom teeth taken out as theyre loose due to having a large overbite all my life and having implants - which im dreading, the thought of anyone deliberately having "snake bites" as described, makes me shudder. However, facial piercings seem to be quite popular with young people. I have a pierced ear, but dont often wear an ear ring as I feel it makes me look a bit of a "sado" as an older guy but now and then wear a diamond in it, if im at a party.

I think the kind of thing mentioned is about making a statement and its not one I'd want to make, but hey ho - all about preferences.

A Snake bite in England is a glass of beer and cider mixed, which sounds equally as abhorent to me, yuk!

I would never get them because I have spent a lifetime trying not to stand out from the crowd as much as I do already.

As a 6'3" transwomen in her 60s I am stand out in a crowd without any other alterations.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Jo-88

You guys do realize that you can take piercings out before you go to work right? I have a brow piercing and it hasn't caused any problems... because I take it out before I go to work. Same thing with tattoos... just get them in a place you can cover them up. I plan to get a partial sleeve done eventually but not far enough down that it cant be covered by a long sleeve shirt.

Guest -Naomi-

I have my lip pierced on one side only and I make more then most people my age. It really depends on the company, places are becoming more tolerant then they used to back in the day. Obviously outward appearances can leave some impressions as that is one of the ways most people judge other individuals. Even so like Jodie said you can always take it out for part of the day. Even plastic peices can be used to keep the peircing from shrinking and be some what invisible.