• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I was abused by the VA

Guest Emily Ray

May 13th I was starting to feel unsafe and so I went to my local hospital. But, they were full and none of the other hospitals in town had room for me, so I was transfered to the VA. It was a reluctant decision on my part considering my past experience with them. My VA has a blanket policy of requiring all patients to wear only VA pajamas on the unit. I have spent the last year trying to get them to see that this is illegal under title 38 17.33 Patient Rights. No one would listen to me.

So, when they asked me to get dressed in the PJ's I said no. They could inspect them for contraband and dangerous cords but that I wanted to have them back afterwards as is my right. They refused. The Doctor and charge nurse called the police who placed me in metal handcuffs. Then two shifts of nurses came into my room and two of them started to take my clothing off. When it came time to pull my pants off they wanted me to lift my bottom, but because my hands were cuffed I couldn't do that. The cop grabbed my shoulders pinning them to the bed and putting all my weight on my cuffed wrist causing great pain and leaving a bruise on my shoulder. After pulling my jeans off the cut my top off.

I was not a threat to myself, others, or property at the time I was placed in restraints which is illegal under federal law and Minnesota law. I have a history of trauma. I was once strangled by a man in Mexico and was held captive for several days. Restraining me caused me to relive all of that on top of the trauma that was taking place at the moment.

I really only want responses from veterans on this thread. Not that others can't be angered by it. But many people don't get why I made this sacrifice. Veterans will because they have sacrificed a part of themselves for the rule of law. Wearing PJ's all day for a week is degrading and not in the best intrests of most patients. If what happened to me gets them to change their policy then it is a win for us as veterans. I at least have the attnention of Hospital leadership. I also have made a report to the Inspector General.

Huggs

Emily

Guest Emily Ray

I am trying to be OK, but I know that I am not. I feel betrayed by so many people. Between this and being discharged from the Emily Program and an Eating Disorder that is destroying my life I am lost and unfocused.

Thank you for asking :-)

Emily

Wouldn't it have just been easier to put on the PJ's and make a complaint later instead of urinating off all the staff and possibly upsetting all the others that were there for care? I'm all for fighting the good fight, but this comes across as you were asking for help, but wanted to fight instead.

I wish you all the best.

• Forum Moderator

I am sorry this is happening again Emily and hope you find some resolution

Johnny

Guest Elizabeth K

Emily

You know here on Laura's Playground we all love you and want the best for you.

Please be careful and NOT give them a reason to lock you up and throw away the key.

Lizzy

Guest Emily Ray

Nova, I have been complaining for a year about the policy being illegal. Yes, it might have been easier, but righting a wrong or fighting abuse is never easy! Now, they will have to explain their actions in front of a Judge and Jury. They have been abusing patient rights at this facility since at least 2005 and it needs to stop! The Law was written for a reason, to protect patient dignaty. The other patients hate wearing PJ's as much as I do and were supportive in my fight for them as well as my own rights.

It was a short stay this time, just 5 days. I am afraid that next time when I need help, that I won't get it because of how I was abused this last time.

Huggs

Emily

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 84 Guests (See full list)

• Heather Shay
    • April Marie
    • MaryEllen
    • Betty K
    • MirandaB
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Alisa Anne
    Newest Member
    Alisa Anne

1. cigsandsaints
      cigsandsaints
      (30 years old)
    2. cygnusKP
      cygnusKP
      (47 years old)
    3. Georgina
      Georgina
      (46 years old)
    4. MaK30
      MaK30
      (31 years old)
    5. Mandymike
      Mandymike
      (54 years old)
    • KatieSC
      Yeah, the insurance companies are like a minefield. They have many exclusions. Read the fine print. Although they will pay 60% out of network, that means they will only pay 60% of what the insurance company deems as the average cost they usually pay, not what you will pay the surgeon. Yeah, I know they claim that in those fancy looking benefit sheets when you sign up for the plan, but they have an awful record of paying. Some insurance companies like Kaiser Permanente have a lot of coverage for transgender individuals, and some do not.    I ran into the same thing you did, with my facial surgeries. I wound up not getting any reimbursement. It was a hard miserable event. It is not true that most of the good surgeons for trans surgeries do not submit to insurance. We are somewhat vulnerable in that a fair number of us have thought about this surgery for a long time. There was a time when no insurance companies paid a dime. They claimed all of this is cosmetic. Yes, there is a cottage industry based on us. We are vulnerable. I know a fair number of women on here have willingly paid the a lot of money for all types of procedures. That is how serious we are about this surgery. I have friends who have paid out of pocket to a variety of surgeons. I myself paid out of pocket for facial surgery. However, there are some really good surgeons out there associated with university hospitals who can do every bit as good as the surgeons in private practice.    The good news is that United Healthcare is accepted at several big centers with some really good surgeons. Rush University Hospital in Chicago has a wonderful surgeon, and an incredible gender affirming program. They have one of the best integrated programs in the country. Rush makes sure you have wall-to-wall care. Rush meets every one of the WPATH criteria for comprehensive transgender care. There are several other university hospitals with comprehensive programs. I failed to do my research and paid a fortune for my facial surgeries. I could have also had many of the procedures covered in network had I known about Rush, University of Colorado, or Mayo Clinic. Think it through. While there are a number of surgeons offering this surgery with what looks like less hoops, shorter waiting times, but you will pay out of pocket. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    • Susan R
      I completely understand the feeling. It’s much like watch a kettle come to boil. Looking back the changes were much like that boiling kettle…the less anticipation, the faster the results seem to have come or became noticeable to me. I do have to say that there was sort of an immediate placebo effect in just the fact that I knew I was finally making it real and that the process had begun. I was immediately at peace with my decision which up until that point I kept second guessing all the negative possibilities it might create. Almost 6 years in, I wouldn’t change my path in any way.   And a big congratulations for being able to make that leap toward authenticity. That is a huge milestone!   Best of luck on your journey, Susan R🌷
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      I'm not sure that's quite true.  If it was done by private entities?  Like most landfills here are privately owned, as are power plants.  I can't see a reason they couldn't be combined.    Right now, garbage companies in my area harvest the methane produced by the landfill to run their trucks.  The put all sorts of pipes in among the layers of the landfill to collect it.  Compressed natural gas (CNG) can be used with only minor modifications to existing engines, and many truck stops are adding CNG pumps as some fleets transition to it.    A fuel's usefulness is often measured in BTU's per gallon.  CNG has approximately the same BTUs as diesel or gasoline (138,000 or so.)  Pure ethanol and E85 have much less - like 76,000 BTUs. 
    • JessicaMW
      Well, after a week on HRT, as many would probably have predicted, I've noticed exactly zero mental or physical changes. Patience appears to be the key here as hard as that will be after finally getting my transition moving. Guess I just need to sit back and enjoy the ride. Hope that my first blood tests after two months will show hormone levels moved acceptively. 
    • Maddee
      A therapist appt is a great place to dress femme, If you want to!   It also sounds like a great safe venue to speak softer and more feminine, if that’s where you want to go.     Not sure the rules now.  But if you’re seeking HRT you might have to show them something to convince the money system that your case is medically necessary.  Obvious feminine clothes and mannerisms displayed by a human assigned male at birth (perhaps this is you?)  could be check marks towards them pushing your case through.     Please be whatever brings you love for who you are.   I have pursued this all the way through obstacles, mistakes, humiliation, and pain. And I  am so so so grateful  Hugs 😊 🌈🌈
    • StrainAsylum
      Puzzled.  My United Healthcare Medical Advantage DOES cover gender affirming surgeries.  The HARD part is finding a surgeon that's in-network.  If the surgeon is out of network, the coverage is 40%/60% (they pay 60%).    Sadly, the surgeon I'd like to have, Dr Russell Sassani, in south Florida, is out-of-network and requires full payment prior to surgery.  I'm certain that there have been insurance issues for him and others, in the past.  Most GOOD surgeons for trans surgeries don't submit insurance, though they WILL help you with the codes, etc.  Actually, he does accept some regular insurance and original Medicare.     Anyway, I hope you were able to get your surgery or at least closer to being able to do so.  
    • EasyE
      Welcome Madelyn, glad you are here and best wishes on your journey!!   I started HRT about two months ago... Had my initial appointment in December... Other than a bra underneath my clothes, I likely didn't look feminine at all ... I was nervous as heck but the doc put me at ease...   Just be yourself... do what feels comfortable for you ... The pace is up to you... Remember, you are one of a kind and have inestimable worth...    EasyE
    • Madelyn Rain
      Thank you for sharing your experience☺️
    • Carolyn Marie
      This thread has about run it's course and the replies are getting problematic.  I'm going to lock it.   Carolyn Marie
    • Amy Powell
      Thank You! Nice to meet ya.
    • Willow
      Welcome to TGP. Be sure to look around there are lots of topics and threads you might find interesting and or helpful.   hugs   Williw
    • Amy Powell
      I have been creating a space to be expressive. It's def not completed yet, I have loads of ideas still. Thinking about re-painting, maybe a light pastel purple or light pink, with a satin gloss. Honestly I'm hung on which would look best. Leave a comment if you think it would look better pink or purple. This area is a combination Man-Cave / She Shack. This is my sacred space, I think it's coming out well so far. I love this room, it inspires my creativity. Tho, I think there's not much man left in the cave lol.        
    • Abigail Genevieve
      Then there is how FDR is revered, and the ridiculous reluctance of the left to ever say anything negative about Biden.  It destroys their credibility.  Obsessed with Trump, they ignore how much worse Biden is. 
    • Abigail Genevieve
      The title of this thread is highly offensive.
    • Ivy
      Oh…. Now I get what the transgender agenda is.  I missed it.   I just didn't realize he was running again.   Silly me.   I'm going to quit now.  I've already been an ass
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.