• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

In Need of Fashion Advice For Body Type

KieranD

I am short with incredibly short legs (26 inch inseam). I'm also chubby but have been losing some weight making clothes that used to fit me in most places not fit me. I'm hoping to eventually get a new wardrobe once I'm able to afford it. So, I'm looking for some help. I don't have a body shape or size that's common, and it's hard for me to find clothes that do what I want. I've been trying to figure out how to get clothes that fit properly on my body as I'm short and curvy with narrow-ish shoulders. I'd like to hide my curves because I'm still not being seen as male despite being on hormones for over a year and a half. At the same time, I don't want to look sloppy with baggy clothes, and want my own personality to stand out with what I wear.

Any suggestions?

Guest Lupi

I know this is a totally jerk-worthy thing to say, but if you can't exercise it off or you're not willing to wear baggy clothes, have you considered lipo?

I know this is a totally jerk-worthy thing to say, but if you can't exercise it off or you're not willing to wear baggy clothes, have you considered lipo?

I've been losing weight (don't really want to). I feel like baggy clothes make me look bigger and not so awesome looking. I can't have surgery and don't want any sort of surgery.

Guest Haidos

i'm a similar shape to you but i've just gone with baggy stuff.

i can get trousers to fit pretty well, skinnyjean type but so they're still fairly baggy and i roll up the bottoms (in a fashionable way of course)

but i'm quite top heavy - stomach, chest and shoulders so can't help you there.

Ah, I don't really like the way rolled up jeans look on me...mostly because there's so many rolls that it looks bulky and also because it makes me look shorter.

IMG_20120602_1730051.jpg

This is the tightest shirt I own which I bought before I put on weight (it's from high school/middle school), the shorts are my younger brother's because none of my trousers/jeans/shorts/bottoms stay on without a belt. I feel like this shirt is too baggy and the shorts look bad but it's the closest fitting stuff I own.

Guest Haidos

i'm all for the shorts =3 the top does look baggy but not excessively just more like skater fashion.

if you want a tighter top just go for it!

i thought of something else that may help, may not. if you wear like a regular short sleeved shirt with a T-shirt over the top it can make you look like you have broader shoulders (dunno if that's an issue for you?) and make the bagginness look intentional and stylish :P

>.<

The problem is that I'm 25, looking for work and the skateboard style is nowhere near who I am or how I want to present myself.

• Admin

Time to go to a place that does tailoring. The stuff you do not like rolled up can be hemmed and sewn. Does cost some extra money, but since you are job hunting you need job hunting clothes for a job you qualify for. Once you get the job and are off any probation time for it. Slobbing up a bit will be OK after you get some time on the job, of course, by then you will have money for the clothing.

Time to go to a place that does tailoring. The stuff you do not like rolled up can be hemmed and sewn. Does cost some extra money, but since you are job hunting you need job hunting clothes for a job you qualify for. Once you get the job and are off any probation time for it. Slobbing up a bit will be OK after you get some time on the job, of course, by then you will have money for the clothing.

Problem with getting clothes altered is you could pretty much only get straight leg pants. Alterations in the shoulder/width are much more expensive in comparison to sleeve shortening.

Whot's wrong with straight leg pants?

I just don't like 'em...plus if I have to alter 'em (now that I think of it) I would need to shorten the crotch/seat. Jeans/pants/trousers always end up having the crotch near my knees unless I wear the waist around my chest.

• Admin

Take up sewing as a hobby and learn to adjust patterns to fit your body, or for that matter it could become a productive business. Its a profession that is filled with both and mixed gender people. I've met a few over the ancient years I enjoy.

Take up sewing as a hobby and learn to adjust patterns to fit your body, or for that matter it could become a productive business. Its a profession that is filled with both and mixed gender people. I've met a few over the ancient years I enjoy.

The costs to start sewing mixed with not being all that into it in the first place makes it not such a good idea. It's like wood working (especially fine woodworking)...it's something you do because you love it, not because you want to make a buck. I think the start up costs for patterns, fabric, and equipment ends up being around $200 which seems like an expensive hobby to me.