• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Who would you report a cop to?

Guest The Avatar

Guest The Avatar

A friend of mine who is also transgender was attacked a while back by a police officer who turned his bike toward the wall (so it couldn't record) and then grabbed her on her way to her house. I've had a conversation with her a few times about it and it always ends in there's nothing that could've been done. When she tried to report it the other cops just made up things about how he was doing his job. A female cop said the best she could do was give the cop a hard time at work if she had his number. That's it. When I think about it I get scared. (I'm a scardy cat btw. I'm always worried about something) I just moved to the town where it happened and my heart races whenever a cop drives by. So my question is... If a cop ever abuses someone who is transgender what can you do? How do you report the law?

It depends on the Police Department. My Lieutenant (Shift Commander) would excalate things into a street brawl. I could tell you stories that would curl your hair about this guy. Seven of us went over the Chief of Police's head and gave statement's to the Police and Fire Commision and we leaked it to the local press. They had a hearing and cleared him. Thier excuse was we didn't document the incidents at the time. One officer flew at his own expense from Anchorage Alaska. I quit three months later. A month after I quit, my former shift commander was at a bar fight that he pushed and was accidently shoved down some concrete stairs. Rumor was it was another police office who shoved himr. He retired with a back injury with disability. I once cleared a fight between two women. Got them to shake hands and agree that if I came back their would be arrests made. This was a biker 4th of July party. My Lieutenant disagreed and wanted the two woman arrested. In Wisconsin, there is a law concerning officer discretion and if a officer doesn't believe that an arrest should be made, he can refuse to make an arrest unless their is a warrant. I refused to make an arrest. Mr Idiot called for backup and went in their to arrest the two woman. I should have let him get his butt kicked, but I had to go in. Got a black eye and my shirt ripped. I met the Chief of Police as he walked in the next morning. Supposedly my idiot shift commander got reprimanded and I got my transfer out of his platoon, but every third week my shift would overlap his command and I had to take orders from him. Sometimes you can go to the Chief and sometime they have internal affairs or a Police Commision that you can complain to. Believe me, the judges know who the bad cops are. I've seen Judge Peplaw toss case after case with one officer. He was finally canned. I'm sorry, but that's the best I can do. Kathryn

Guest WendyJean

They have this neat little fob that costs around $10 that is a camera mike, and records the last 8 hours in a loop. A very handy device, very discrete, but how to use it I'm not sure (yet). So far I've only seen friends, but I'm thinking of buying several just for these kind of uses.

A writer once wrote (paraphrasing), most new inventions are used by governments to surpress the people, eventually though, when they become common, the table turns. This may be such a case.

• Admin

I agree with Kathryn. The first step would be to immediately ask for a supervisor to respond to the scene. You would attempt to report it, although you shouldn't be surprised if they initially defend the officer. But it is your right to file a formal complaint. If the field supervisor won't take the complaint, go to the station and speak to the Watch Commander (or whatever the equivalent might be, i.e. "shift commander.").

It gets more complicated than that if the W.C, won't take the complaint. Some cities have an independent commission or oversight body you can report complaints to. Los Angeles has an Inspector General. You can also write to the Police Chief or politicians. There is always the ACLU, if your case is serious.

Be polite, but be persistent, and hopefully things will turn out all right.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Mia J

Even if they do not do anything your friend should report the indecent. They will at least have it on record which will go against the officer if he keeps getting complaints. Excessive force has been a big issue in Denver in the last few years after the Manager of Safety and a new chief started taking the victims side. Especially when the victims sued and got large settlements.

Mia

• Admin

If the person has a family attorney, that would be the first step I would take. The attorney will probably do ALL of what Carolyn and Katheryn have recommended but will not have the initial personal fear that a victim has, and will know the next steps to take if one fails. Some law schools have trainee and victims assistance programs that are free or low cost. In the case where a citation for court appearance is given, then the attorney can bring the officer's conduct before the judge who can give it high consideration.

Guest The Avatar

Thanks everyone. I can't quote people because I'm typing via cell phone but someone mentioned an L.A. officer and that's not too far from here. About a 45 minute drive. Also they did report it. the feeling is nothing came of it to equate to the damage done. In the long run though I guess it is a process.

• Admin

I just noticed where you are from TA, and my new suggestion is to go to the Orange County GLBT Center http://www.thecenteroc.org/ and talk to them. Some people I have met there are big on the Police relations there in Orange County and could at the very least use this as a teaching contact point.

File a complaint to "big brother"?? The Government may "help".. I don't know.. Sadly, it comes down to a voice V.S. Voice... There's no "proof".... People are sadly also more likely to believe a cop over a citizen.... 

I have no idea what to say...

Guest The Avatar

Kathryn's advice is very good.

It is very good and I'm glad she shared it.

I don't think it neccesarily makes me feel 100% safer but it does let me know that this kind of situation has found justice before. My friend swares she talked to every cop she could find and it is a report. I dunno. This is friend to friend and she's currently at the point where she doesn't want to deal with it. I'm jus thinking of ways to protect myself or at least get advice so if it ever happens to anyone else we'll all know what to do by reading about it.

My friend

I just noticed where you are from TA, and my new suggestion is to go to the Orange County GLBT Center http://www.thecenteroc.org/ and talk to them. Some people I have met there are big on the Police relations there in Orange County and could at the very least use this as a teaching contact point.

When I first moved to Fullerton someone said to me: "We have a saying here. It's called living under the orange veil." to which I responded: " I'm not the type to where veils. If were all hiding how are we suppossed to support each other anyway? Not me, I'm going to make a difference in this world and I'm going to do it as a MTF transgender." Trying to be tough n' stuff. When I heard this story though I got real scared and almost curled up. I still live up to what I said though. I had no idea that there was a GLBT center in orange. I know where the one is in San Diego. When I went there I got free stickers. That's about it. What else do they do there?

File a complaint to "big brother"?? The Government may "help".. I don't know.. Sadly, it comes down to a voice V.S. Voice... There's no "proof".... People are sadly also more likely to believe a cop over a citizen....

I have no idea what to say...

Lani! :D You're Back! and yeah... basically that's how I feel too. Glad for all the input everyone gave but at the same time I'm still thinking it's a pretty bad situation to be in if it ever happens.

• 1 month later...

all good tips here.

the cop's boss is the cheif or course, and of course there is an oversifght/inetrnal affairs whatever they call it, if they have it in that area.. police commissioner, and then the mayor is the boss of all of the police dept. and he gets elected, so he gets concerned when his voters get mistreated. in principle the ACLU should be one to take concern, but in reality these days... they dont do what they originally intended to be, so they wont do much if anything.

theres usually some good lawyers around, if youre a good witness, they wont mind taking your case. Lawyers dont like taking on cases of people who are wimpy or whiners or appear totaly cold and unsympathetic to a jury. they want you to be assertive and properly outraged/indignant over the entire thing.

bad cops ruin it for al the good cops out there, and the good ones get real ticked off about that, but usually theyre not gonna believe you. he's their brother and youre a nutcase after all. Lately im not too thrilled with any cops.

and learn to protect yourself. take classes in karate or something, and carry some kind of defense weapon.

and another thing... if you dont feel safe where you live, move.

I went from one hellhole to another -one frying pan to the fire, but eventually found a safer place, and last i am in a really nice place, thats very safe. that peace of mind is priceless.