• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Judy Collins

Guest mia 1

What is Judy Collins saying in that song she either wrote or covered? Did she look at love from both sides now. I take her at her word.

Sometimes that feeling comes even when you are alone. Which lately I'm thinking is the best way to enjoy yourself. Hopefully not offending anyone with that thought or revelation.................What do you think,Mia B)

Guest Elizabeth K

Mia - you just outed yourself on your terribly advanced age - 90% here don't have a clue what ya talkin bout. :o

I also like "Give Them Something to Talk About."

But you're right - We T's /CDs definately look at both sides now.

But I seem to have switched sides somehow and it seems to be rather permanent. I doubt that's what Judy Collins meant :D

Probably refering to looking at love from in it and not - but I always like to think of it as "our anthem". Helen Reddy's "I am Woman" can only work for some of us and Chicago's "I'm a Man" has the same limitations. But this lilting little tune seems to fit pretty well.

My personal theory is that I would rather be alone than with the wrong person.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Donna Jean
Mia - you just outed yourself on your terribly advanced age - 90% here don't have a clue what ya talkin bout. :o

I also like "Give Them Something to Talk About."

But you're right - We T's /CDs definately look at both sides now.

But I seem to have switched sides somehow and it seems to be rather permanent. I doubt that's what Judy Collins meant :D

Ah, Lizzy...Bonnie Raitt..my FAVORITE!!! "Lets give 'em something to talk about" what a song...

My all time anthem...I have come to the belief that if some one has a problem with me ...then that's just it "their" problem...I spent so many years worrying about what other people thought about me and now all that is changing...

Sally said"

My personal theory is that I would rather be alone than with the wrong person.

Love ya,

Sally

And, I should have that tatoo'ed on my forehead!

I have also been reading about TG/TS..etc in other times and societies where people understood their uniqueness and how truly special they are...Both sides, Indeed!

Singing Donna Jean

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Kelly Ann

That's always been a favorite of mine to play on accoustic guitar...it's easy enough for me to remember the chords...and makes me work on my alternate (whhhheeeeee) picking...gulp...sometimes I even sing it just because the words are so pretty. This generally starts ALL the dogs in the neighborhood howling...not quite the Raylette's but I'll give 'em a 9 for 'heart'. Just a pickin 'n a grinning, Kelly Ann

Guest Donna Jean
That's always been a favorite of mine to play on accoustic guitar...it's easy enough for me to remember the chords...and makes me work on my alternate (whhhheeeeee) picking...gulp...sometimes I even sing it just because the words are so pretty. This generally starts ALL the dogs in the neighborhood howling...not quite the Raylette's but I'll give 'em a 9 for 'heart'. Just a pickin 'n a grinning, Kelly Ann

Kelly Ann.....

I'll play guitar along with you and sing harmony, then all the cats can join, too.

Now they'll sound closer to the Raylettes! :lol:

Now...what's that next chord?..F# dim 7..Dang! I can't play that one lets use another.....

Singing Donna Jean

Guest Kelly Ann

I have an early 60's Framus accoustic I've set up in Nashvile Tuning/electric that you could handle with ease (the second light course of strings of a 12 string set) it plays easier than a nylon string and sounds just too cool...we'll reserve that for you Donna Jean...I know I still have that one because it's hanging up behind me (-; with my Fender Montara, a 1960 Les Paul Gold Top re-issue, two Tele's and Special K...I need to look under the bed and in the cases against the wall too...who knows what all is lurking about here...I know I have a Dano Baritone and a Fender Strat 12 string too...somewhere LOL...Kelly Ann

• 8 months later...
Guest Katie Anne

Just for clarity, it was Joni Michell who wrote "Both Sides Now". Her version can be heard on the "Canyons" album. Mitchell never plays the guitar in standard tuning. I believe she plays it in open G with all the strings tuned down a half step. Mitchell's version is more melancholy and slower. I do it in open G with the same chords Collins uses in standard basicly G's,C's. and D's. I like Judy Collins version, but its a bit over produced with the "wall of sound" effect for my taste

Now that I have really dated myself I am going to go away and feel very old. I may howl myself.

Cheers,

Katie Anne