• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

A binder I can exercise in?

Guest Seth1992

Guest sierrathompson1

Hey guys,

So I got a tri top over a week ago and I've finally been able to break it in, I wore it 6.5 hours yesterday and around 10 hours today, I didn't even notice I was wearing it it is so comfortable,

So even though I love it I can't really imagine working out in it, considering you have to step out of it it would be way too hard to get off if I was sweaty. Does anyone know of a good binder that you can exercise in without hurting yourself? I think even though the tri top is comfortable since its supposed to be so tight it might be dangerous to exercise in. Any advice? I really want to get a workout binder so I can gain muscle, my arms so long and skinny they don't look manly at all. Thanks guys, I love this site. :)

-Cameron

Guest ShortyT

Well, I'm no expert in the area of exercise (bwahahahaha, me and exercise... bwahahaha) but when i go hiking and whatnot, I use the cotton concealer muscle shirt. I found that it didn't bind as firmly as the regular binder, which made it more comfortable (and I'm assuming more safe) although that obviously means I need to deal with being a lot more lumpy. I always wear a t-shirt regardless, so I often just flip it and put the cotton side to my skin. I have tried sports compression shirts, but they didn't work well for me.

So anywhoo, that's what I do.

I could never work out in my tri-top. Just thinking about it hurts my ribs.

I use my oldest and crappiest binders to work out in, since they get all sweaty and gross and I usually have to wash them after 1-2 workout sessions. I use the style 978 from underworks (the v-neck T-shirt) with the arms chopped off, or the style 974. Those are tight enough to have a decently compressing effect but not to cut off air supply.

Also, if you buy a chin-up bar and some dumbbells, then you can work out in the comfort of your own home, wearing anything you please. I can't stand going to the gym because it makes me self conscious and dysphoric.

Guest Raging Shadow

the underworks body suit alwyas worked for me. it didn't bind quite as well as the try top, but it also didn't roll up or dig. it's probably best to workout binderless, but sometimes it can't be avoided, like school gym class.

• Forum Moderator

I use an athletic compression shirt a size smaller than I am to workout. Oxygen is necessary for a good and effective workout and anything that restricts oxygen-as any binder pretty much has to do-will cut down on your stamina and your results.

Under armor makes a racerback athletic compression shirt that is actually for females and has an extra layer to flatter and firm on top for exercise, I found that especially effective. Like the famous but impossible to find frogbra that was famous for minimizing and holding everything in place. Heard of transguys wearing those and prefering them to binders but eben on ebay the few that come along are more costly than a binder.

Johnny