• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Alleged Transwoman Robbed In D.C.

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

I say "alleged" because nowhere in the article is it indicated whether she self-identified as a TG person, or how the police came to that conclusion. What really irks me, in this story and so many similar ones, is why is her supposedly being TG even relevant??? Unless it was a hate crime, it probably wasn't. :angry:

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Transgender-Woman-Sexually-Assaulted-Robbed-in-SE-171247191.html

Carolyn Marie

Guest LizMarie

I'm not saying this is right, Carolyn, but Washington, DC has seen a rash of transsexual assaults and murders this year so they may have thought it was relevant in that regard.

• Admin

That's true, LizMarie, but it would have been easy for them to include a line regarding those earlier incidents to make it relevant.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Thats true

youd be inclined to write something like,

another trasperson was mugged in such and such setion of town last week.. curiously, this would be the fourth reported case of this kind since since June Police dept had said.....etc.

i think they use the weird factor, or oddities in articles as the draw or pull for readership. in this case, taking a normal crime article and spinning it with what the writer thinks is something to spice it up as much as can be regardless of relevance. My dad used to work in a news paper and talked about having to find "the draw" for some articles that were otherwise just routine reports.