• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Interesting article on LGBT down south

Guest KimberlyF

Guest KimberlyF

I have heard this info below stated a few times, but I've never seen it in print. And I'm not totally sold on her reasons why this happens. Maybe it's one part of a few reasons?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/04/opinion/were-here-were-queer-yall.html?_r=1&

"Many people assume that because the South is the nation’s most evangelical and politically conservative region, it is probably also a hotbed for hate crimes against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. But while such crimes do occur, they are less common than in large urban centers, where the absence of a tight community and the abundance of strangers make it easier to target people for their differences."

• Admin

Interesting article, Kim. It is absolutely true that one should never assume any place is "safe." TG-related homicides and hate crimes have occurred in San Francisco, the Pacific Northwest, and in college towns across America. In my perusal of the media reports, it seems to me that engaging in risky behavior is a far better indicator of the likelihood of violence than is what part of the country you're in.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie