• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Gettin' International Here

ChristianRay

Hi everybody!

I'm Christian, I'm a 17 year old transman/FtM (almost 18, though), but I'm still pre-testosterone, which I will probably start taking sometime in spring 2009. Currently, I live in Austria, even though I'm actually German. Well, what's left to say? I have a step sister in Boston, I lived in Spain for five years, so... any language you wanna talk to me - feel free!

I have also started a blog where you can read a bit more about me, in case you're interested: http://transitioningwhackjob.blogspot.com/

I found this board through google because I was looking for a place to meet new people, and not just FtMs for once. ;)

Greetings frm Austria,

Christian

Guest Donna Jean

Good day, Christian!

Nice to meet you! We have folks from all over in here and we welocme more! Please make yourself comfortable..maybe some hot coco and a cookie or two? Relax...you'll meet lots of wonderfull people here ...I'm sure some will be around shortly to say "HI!".

Kick off your shoes and find a comfy chair...

welcome!

Donna Jean

I would greet you in German, but then you might think that I actual new more than good day, good night, please and thank you. :D

I'm a bit of a world traveller so I've been to Germany, Austria and Spain,but being so typically USof A type American - I've never been to Boston. :lol:

You came to the right site to meet more than just FTMs! As you might have noticed Donna Jean and I are both headed the other direction and speaking for my self a great deal older than you. (Donna Jean will have to make that confession for herself! :P )

Feel free to ask questions, read all posts, answer questions, give advice and state opinions (within the guidlines - Laura and the moderators work very hard to keep this site a safe place) and consider yourself part of the family.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Frank67

Hi Christian,

I'm living not far away from the city where you were born :D and yes I have read the whole blog ( a bit more about me :P )

So, all I can say is welcome to Laura's playground, nice to have you here.

Grettings from Germany to Austria

Frank

@Sally

no, no. no

I wrote some weeks ago something in German. It was just a little sentences and I got a PM not to do this again. That is one of the rules and I'm fine with it.

The forum is moderated and this for good reasons.

Thanks for the reminder, Frank, I am so homolingual (I just made that up - it should be the opposite of bilingual, shouldn't it?) that I never stop to think - I'm just so excited that I know something in another language! :D

Christian, I just read your blog - I stayed awake all the way to the end! :lol:

It is amazing how much I find that I have in common with so many diverse people. We are headed the opposite directions and you are 40 years younger, but we like a lot of the same things! It just proves that the more different we are the more we are the same.

Love ya,

Sally

Thanks for the warm welcome, people! It'a always good to know there's somebody sharing at least a part of your own story, having the same problems...

And thanks for reading the blog. ;)

Guest Elizabeth K

:D Christian

Welcome - American English is my choice of language (only choice I have - typical of us here in the USA) but it is so good to have an international flavor.

:rolleyes: There are good people here at Laura's and you should have good answers to any FTM questions you might have as that group is well represented. So look around, post often - and don't forget to look at the chat room. If you don't see anyone in the FTM room, that is because everyone is in the Community Center.

WELCOME - WELCOME - WELCOME :lol::lol::lol:

The people here are diverse, but Homolingual? perhaps monolingual or multilingual? But then I am Lingualphobic. :)

Christian, I suspect if you wish you could drop in a few phrases in German and put a translation in parenthesis. It would be good to hear your native language. Where I grew up in Texas, there were so many German speaking people - second or third generation - and it's wonderful to know catch phrases.

We are always ready to learn something new, here at Laura's, am I right, moderators? :P

Liz

Guest Frank67

Liz,

that's unfair :D . What is about me? I could do this, too *sniff*

If you want to know something, just ask. Christian and I are glad to help with some phrases in German.

I'm too afraid :unsure: to post something without permission now

Guest Elizabeth K
Liz,

that's unfair :D . What is about me? I could do this, too *sniff*

If you want to know something, just ask. Christian and I are glad to help with some phrases in German.

I'm too afraid :unsure: to post something without permission now

:o FRANK - no no no

I am just a member here. I was trying to see if it was okay to use phrases in other languages - I think the idea is to keep it understandable for what is said - so there are no misunderstandings. Probabably only a few here could translate anything - German, Spanish, Frenc, Italian - whatever). So adding the translation in the text takes care of that. ;)

That said - some of my favorites - what is German for:

People and endearments: Girlfiend or sweetheart, Boyfriend, Wife, Husband? Small child - shall child with endearment. Baby/infant, young girl, young girl with endearment, young boy, devilish young boy.

Dating: Hello, my name is..... Is this seat taken? Are you from Germany (the USA, Australia. Camada, Mexico - Mars?) May I buy you a drink (pitcher of beer - something alcoholic to loosen up the converation) Are you seeing/dating anyone? How long have you had that skin condition?

Salutations: Hello, greetings, good morning - (day/afternoon/evening/night) How are you? Hey, dude, what's happening? Good to meet ya, nice to see you, good bye, see you around, have a nice day (when you really mean it), and have a nice day (go away - I hate you)

Soft exclaimations; Rats, I just hit my thumb with a hammer, Darn I just ran over my dog, Gosh, that lady just hit my car and drove away, Shucks, I really think I am gonna throw up.

One worders: Poo, Oh No, wow, whew, yikes, good-grief - and stuff like that

And the standard: yes, yeah, okay (I don't think that translates except as okay), alright. And no, no way, not a chance, get outta here. You gotta be kidding, what makes you think that?, are you outta your mind?

And good old standard phrases like: I love your mother's mustache. Your sister is really hairy. I love how that tattoo looks on your forehead.

And anything else we need to know :lol:

Lizzy

hey Christian :) welcome to the forums. it's nice to have you here. and i also made it all the way through your blog :P

and @ Liz :lol: to "how long have you had that skin condition?"

Guest Elizabeth K
hey Christian :) welcome to the forums. it's nice to have you here. and i also made it all the way through your blog :P

and @ Liz :lol: to "how long have you had that skin condition?"

Sassy! Can you say that in German?

If I'm allowed to, I could translate any of the above. But beware, German's very tricky. You'll have tied your tongue into a beautiful pink ribbon before you get a word out. ;)

BTW, *lol* at "I love your mother's mustache" And if anybody wants me to, I could translate that stuff into spanish as well. But french... Ew. Always hated that in school.

Guest Frank67

Eh! Liz

that was really a lot, but i tried my best

"you" in English is in German du, dich, dir, (these are personal and for one person and "euch" for some persons) and sie, ihr, ihnen (these are formal and for more persons the "sie" could be one or more persons)

I hope this post is granded, if not, I will jump out the window :lol:

Please mods let it be my New Year present for Liz

@Christian

I know it is not perfect, maybe you can help and I like that

You'll have tied your tongue into a beautiful pink ribbon before you get a word out.

Girlfiend - Freundin

Boyfriend - Freund

sweetheart - Liebling(f+m)/Süße(f)/Liebste(f)/Liebster(m)

Wife - Ehefrau/Gattin

Husband - Ehemann/Gemahl/Gatte

Small child - shall child with endearment - ?

Baby/infant - Baby/Säugling/Kleinkind

young girl - junges Mädchen

young girl with endearment - ?

young boy - Knabe

devilish young boy - Satansbraten/Teufelsbraten mabye if it is the same like hellion or young devil

Hello, my name is..... - Hallo, mein Name ist.../Hallo, ich heiße...

Is this seat taken? - Ist dieser Platz frei/besetzt?

Are you from Germany - Kommen Sie aus Deutschland/Sind Sie aus Deutschland

May I buy you a drink - Darf ich Sie/Dich auf ein Getränk einlanden/Darf ich Ihnen/Dir ein Gedränk spendieren/Darf ich Ihnen/Dir einen ausgeben - the last one is more colloquial for a drink

Are you seeing/dating anyone - Gehst Du mit jemanden - this is used by teenagers here if you mean "do you have a boyfriend/girlfriend"

How long have you had that skin condition - Wie lange hatten/hattest Sie/Du schon diese Hautkrankheit - not sure what you mean with "skin condition" is it something like a disease

Hello - Hallo

greetings - Grüße

good morning - Guten Morgen (Tag/Nachmittag/Abend/Gute Nacht)

How are you - Wie geht es Ihnen/Dir

Hey, dude, what's happening - Hey Kumpel, was ist los/Hey Kumpel, was geht ab

Good to meet ya - Gut Sie/Dich kennenzulernen

nice to see you - Freut mich, Sie/Dich zu sehen

good bye - Auf Wiedersehen

see you around - Man sieht sich - I'm not sure

have a nice day - Einen schönen Tag noch

have a nice day - Verpfeif Dich - if you mean pi.. off

Rats, I just hit my thumb with a hammer - Verflucht, ich hab mir gerade mit dem Hammer auf den Daumen geschlagen

Darn I just ran over my dog - Verfdammt. ich bin über meinen Hund gestolpert

Gosh, that lady just hit my car and drove away - Donnerwetter die Frau ist mir einfach ins Auto gefahren und fuhr weiter/weg

Shucks, I really think I am gonna throw up. - Ich glaube ich muss kotzen/ich glaube ich muss mich übergeben if you mean to puke and "Shucks" could be Verdammt/Mist i really don't know

poo - Mist/Kacke

Oh No - Oh nein

wow - wow/toll

whew - puh

yikes - huch/pfui/igitt

good-grief Heiliges Kanonenrohr/Ach du meine Güte

yes - ja

yeah - ja - in the case of an agreement

okay - okay/in Ordnung/gut/richtig/ok

alright - in Ordnung

no - nein

no way - nie im Leben/keine Chance/niemals

not a chance - keine Chance

get outta here - das ist doch nicht wahr/das gibt es doch nicht

You gotta be kidding - Du machst wohl Witze/Sie machen wohl Witze

what makes you think that - Wie kommst du darauf/wie kommen Sie darauf

are you outta your mind - Hast du deinen verstand verloren

if these are sayings then idk (good old standard phrases lol)

I love your mother's mustache - ich liebe den Schnurbart deiner Mutter

Your sister is really hairy - deine Schwester ist wirklich behaart

I love how that tattoo looks on your forehead. - Ich mag wie dein Tattoo auf deiner Stirn aussieht

• Root Admin

Words and phrases for educational purposes are ok as long as they are accompanied by an accurate translation.

MaryEllen :)

Guest Kelly Ann

Hi Christian...Welcome and Happy New Year! This is a great place to park, the view is spectacular, weathers perfect and there's ALWAYS the most interesting conversations all about. You just never know what it will be whether informational, helpful, humorous, a shoulder and a hug or a poll. I must thank Frank for the assist in helping me to fracture yet another language...LOL...I see there's enough phraseology there to get me in ALL sorts of 'trouble' :D Keep smiling and posting Christian, Kelly Ann

Thanks to you all again! Kelly Ann,

This is a great place to park, the view is spectacular, weathers perfect and there's ALWAYS the most interesting conversations all about

That almost sounded like the friendly "cabin attendant" I had on my way to Barcelona. But I believe you straight away.

@ Frank... let's see... I corrected some of the translations

Girlfiend - Freundin

Boyfriend - Freund

sweetheart - Liebling(f+m)/Süße(f)/Liebste(f)/Liebster(m)

Wife - Ehefrau/Gattin

Husband - Ehemann/Gemahl/Gatte

Small child - Kleinkind

Baby/infant - Baby/Säugling/Kleinkind

young girl - junges Mädchen

young girl with endearment - [there are no specific "terms of endearment" - you can call loved ones anything you like - my great-grandmother always used to call me "Kätzchen" which means "kitten", so...yeah.]

young boy - Junge

devilish young boy - Satansbraten is probably the best one for that.

Hello, my name is..... - Hallo, ich heiße...

Is this seat taken? - Ist dieser Platz besetzt?

Are you from Germany - Kommen Sie aus Deutschland? / Sind Sie aus Deutschland?

May I buy you a drink - Darf ich Sie/Dich ("Sie" is formal, "Dich" is informal) auf ein Getränk einladen?

Are you seeing/dating anyone - Bist du mit jemandem zusammen? / Hast du einen festen Freund/eine feste Freundin?

How long have you had that skin condition - Wie lange hast du schon diese Hautkrankheit? [if you ask someone that, you don't really need the formal version. ^^]

Hello - Hallo

greetings - Grüße

good morning - Guten Morgen (Tag/Nachmittag/Abend/Gute Nacht)

How are you - Wie geht es Ihnen/Dir

Hey, dude, what's happening - Hey Alter, was geht ab?

Good to meet ya - Schön, Sie/Dich kennenzulernen.

nice to see you - Freut mich, Sie/Dich zu sehen

good bye - Auf Wiedersehen

see you around - Man sieht sich - I'm not sure

have a nice day - Einen schönen Tag noch

have a nice day - Verpfeif Dich [you can even say "verpi** dich"]

Rats, I just hit my thumb with a hammer - Verflucht, ich hab mir gerade mit dem Hammer auf den Daumen geschlagen

Darn I just ran over my dog - Verdammt, ich hab gerade meinen Hund überfahren.

Gosh, that lady just hit my car and drove away - Donnerwetter, die Frau ist mir ins Auto gefahren und dann davongefahren.

Shucks, I really think I am gonna throw up. - Mist, ich glaube, ich muss kotzen.

poo - Mist/Kacke

Oh No - Oh nein

wow - wow/toll

whew - puh

yikes - Pfui/Igitt [you pronounce that "eee-gitt"]

good-grief - Heiliges Kanonenrohr/Ach du meine Güte

yes - ja

yeah - [informal: Jap ]

okay - Okay [it is that simple somtimes.]

alright - in Ordnung/klar

no - nein

no way - keine Chance/niemals

not a chance - keine Chance

get outta here - raus hier!

You gotta be kidding - Du machst wohl Witze/Sie machen wohl Witze

what makes you think that - Wie kommst du darauf?/wie kommen Sie darauf?

are you outta your mind - Bist du verrückt geworden?

I love your mother's mustache - ich liebe den Schnurrbart deiner Mutter.

Your sister is really hairy - Deine Schwester ist wirklich sehr behaart.

I love how that tattoo looks on your forehead. - Ich finde es toll, wie das Tattoo auf deiner Stirn aussieht.

Guest DeniseNM

Welcome Christian, I see you have already had many of the wonderful people here welcome you. This is a great place with wonderful loving folks. I only speak Southern english (granted that does need translations at times :lol: ).

Liz I can say sassy in another language: Elizabeth K, Donna Jean, Sally, Kelly Ann :P

Denise

Guest Elizabeth K

:lol::lol::lol: and you forgot to add the word "Denise"

And Frank and Christian "Gracias - muchas gracias" opps there is my Spanish vocabulary all used up (Thanks, many thanks).

Its so good to see the international flavor here! Everyone keep posting! Please-please-please

Guest Frank67

:lol: as I wrote I tried my best and I learned something new e.g. "to run over" is the same like "to drive over"

btw what is the difference between i.e. and e.g. (and yes I know i.e. is not the internet explorer from Microsoft :D )

Thanks Christian

Guest CharliTo

After watching Valkyrie, I had this urge to learn German so that stuff above is super awesome. You are now my new best friend :P

lol.

*hug* welcome to the forums :3

Guest DeniseNM
:lol::lol::lol: and you forgot to add the word "Denise"

And Frank and Christian "Gracias - muchas gracias" opps there is my Spanish vocabulary all used up (Thanks, many thanks).

Its so good to see the international flavor here! Everyone keep posting! Please-please-please

Did not forget I used creative license to edit :P:lol: ....lol, besides I would be be sassy (well at least not normally, okay okay maybe when I am asleep)

And that is about the extent of my spanish too Liz

Denise