• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Commentary: The High Cost of Transition

Carolyn Marie

Guest LizMarie

My own estimates going forward are:

Expected Therapy costs over the first 5 years of transition = $6600

Electrolysis @ $69 per hour X 150 hours = $10,350

Voice surgery (required due to medical condition) = $12,000

Estrogen (lifelong) @ $12.50 per month X expected 30 more years of life = $4,500

Sex reassignment surgery (estimated) = $20,000 -- This could be somewhat less or a bit more but it's a close ballpark figure for now.

Optional FFS (overseas to control costs) = $20,000 (probably slightly less overseas but this is a working number and close)

Optional hair transplants if I can get enough of my own hair to come back in naturally to make it worthwhile - $15,000

The above does not include divorce costs, name/gender change legal document costs, wardrobe costs, etc., nor a host of other costs incurred in transitioning. My core bills will exceed $50,000 all by themselves. The optional items add another $35-$40K if I do them (no guarantee that I will but I might). The legal costs are all TBD but I am sure they will be extensive too. I'm just glad I have a good job at a company with entrenched policies protecting LGBT folks across the board or I couldn't even think about most of this.

I think 30k to 50k is a reasonable assessment of the costs involved if you do not get FFS , BA or voice surgery, i totaled my costs up from just my GCS and it came to just around 20k, my topic is here:

http://www.lauras-playground.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35498

In addition to the 20k i spent over 10k for laser and electrolysis, not covered under insurance, also not covered are my Endo visits every 6 months and blood work once a year, thank goodness my therapy sessions were covered due to the way my therapist coded my visits, and don't forget to add in clothes, makeup, shoes etc.

If you want FFS, BA and voice surgery in addition to everything else the total could come close to 100k or more.

Paula

Guest (Lightsider)

You are all making me think too hard.

I would say my costs were so far:

1. Voice therapy $100.00 Turned out I did not need it. Went to one consult and was told my voice was spot on. I am partially deaf so I never knew I always sounded female.

2. Hair removal in 1998. $2000.00 laser package.

3. Maintenance laser over the years $250.00

4. Orchiectomy Free. Insurance covered it.

5. HRT. $15.00 a year. (Insurance covers a large amount of it. and because I had an orchie...my dosage is real low.)

I suppose if I went for facial surgery which I don't think I need and paid for SRS out of pocket (Which I do not have the money for either) I would be up around 50,000. I think over all since 1998 I would say it has cost me under 5000.00. (including counseling)

Guest Melissa~

I'm expecting around $60k, assuming I skip a bunch of procedures that ultimately would help me to pass. Therapy alone is coming in at $9100, per year, but I have plans to mitigate that. The usual SRS is prospected to be $32k, for the primary and follow ups. The misc procedures I hope to skip like tracheal shave each could add up to $25k. HT ~$350 a year, laser, electrolysis etc.

Now to say my out of pocket is anything like that would be inaccurate, for example I feel my SRS may be covered by my good insurance, but that does not mean the cost isn't there. My fathers heart operations near his end totaled more than $250k, out of pocket was capped around $7k.

So far my cost have been $25 a pop to see my doctor. $25.00 a month for therapy. I was paying $60 an hour for electrolysis, but I did 30 hours of remodleing work for the lady who does my electrolysis. So I getting a bunch of free sessions. I'm planning on FFS and I'm expecting it to cost me about $16,000.00 in Mexico. And yes, I want GRS. So I'm lining up allies and friends, polishing my arguements, and I'm going to keep coming to my employer until I get it covered by insurance. I have complete optimism that I am going to be successful. I don't give up.

I'm not counting clothing costs because I love shopping anyway and I'm not buying any more male clothing. My therapist commented that so far, I've been pretty successful coming out to friends and family and at work. She thought it was do to my complete acceptance of myself and that I am comfortable in my own skin. I know what I want, have a plan that is reasonable, and I'm patient enough to work for what is important in my life. Kathryn

Guest Valerie

Monthly HRT costs = $400.00 (35 months now)

Shots (Progestrone and E twice a month)

Scripts (Spiro, Propecia, E, Cemitedene)

added new (Lavostatin, Asprin)

$14,000.00

BA = $8,500.00

$22,500.00

Laser $2,000.00 (5 sessions @ $400.00 ea)

$24,500.00

Labs, hmm close to $5,000.00

Total = $29,500.00 (roughly) so far for 35 months.

My insurance does not cover any of the above and my Endo does not take my Tricare.

Expected upcoming costs.

SRS, $9,000.00

FFS, $12,000.00 - $15,000.00

None of my therapist's visits are included.

Yes, Hawaii is VERY expensive.

Currently looking like $54,000.00 and that is not adding in the any dr's, labs or scripts.

/Love

Valerie

Guest Valerie

Thought I would also add something else, that was not correct in this article.

From what I have read in the 2012 HRC Corperate Indexm there are 207 companies that now fully cover a persons transition. This includes, therapy, HRT, SRS, speech therapy and time off for post-op recovery.

/Love

Valerie

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 78 Guests (See full list)

• Amy Powell
    • April Marie
    • Ashley0616
    • Heather Shay
    • MirandaB
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Arushi
    Newest Member
    Arushi

1. avery78
      avery78
    2. blinkyrtx
      blinkyrtx
      (25 years old)
    3. Heather Shay
      Heather Shay
      (72 years old)
    4. hormonedifficientin2ways
      hormonedifficientin2ways
    5. IMTH
      IMTH
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • VickySGV
      The numbers were not impressive really considering the magnitude of our largest counties.  The article does not say how many signatures were collected in the right areas or if the signatures were verified by the county ROV's.  The story is meant to be impressive and may sound that way to people in less populated political areas, but I am glad to say it turned out pretty weak. 
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://www.wisn.com/article/milwaukee-man-transgender-woman-murder-guilty-plea/60927766   Very good.  Now for a good, long sentence in prison.   Carolyn Marie
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://www.yahoo.com/news/proposal-limit-transgender-youth-rights-224408735.html     Not too surprising in California, but scary that it still got 400,000 signatures.  Well, there are a lot of right leaning counties, for sure.   Carolyn Marie
    • Betty K
      Hi @Arushi, welcome to TransPulse and thanks for sharing. Your story sounds familiar to me in some ways: I used to go out dressed femme exclusively at night and received a lot of attention from guys. Back then I had no interest in them, mainly since their attention so often resembled sexual harassment. But that was 12 years ago and a lot has changed. Now I am exclusively into guys, and proudly trans.    You ask are you wrong to crossdress; I would say absolutely not. It sounds as if this urge comes from a place deep within you, and I doubt you could suppress it for long if you tried. You also describe no harms that have resulted from your crossdressing. But maybe the real question is how do you feel about it? Leaving aside the societal stigma that can surround crossdressing, do you feel there is anything wrong with your behaviour? And lastly, does your wife know? If not, then that may be a problem. But if so, then imo the problem is in not being open with your wife, not in crossdressing. Crossdressing is a morally neutral act.
    • Arushi
      I am opening up for the first time to someone other than myself. A bit about me; I am an Asian Indian male, 45 , married and dad, working professional from Portland. I have very mixed body features. I don’t have much hair on me and I wax so have a smooth body all over, light wheatish skin color, nicely done eyebrows and definitely size B manboobs, 6’2” tall and slightly curvy body, so I look like a tall woman when I am all dressed up. Growing Up; At a very young age , I got very intrigued with Wigs and Bra’s. I used to try on Bra’s starting age 14 and stuffed them up with socks. I used to roam wearing panties , and gown , usually taken off my dryers from my neighbors laundry. I remember this one weekend , I was all by myself and tried makeup for the first time and did my best , let’s just say it wasn’t bad for my first time. That was my best weekend being in woman clothing’s all day long around the house.  As I moved out of the house for college , I started freely and frequently cross dress, I bought my own silicone breasts , bra’s , panties  and dresses. I used to go to thrift stores and Ross, pick up the best in the lot, 44DD size and go into changing room and try them on with my Silicone boobs. I used to look for slightly worn panties , to make me feel I have been wearing them for ages. I got some cheap makeup, eyeliner, lipstick, foundation and the whole Shabang and 4-5 beautiful wigs. I had a closet full of items . Every Sunday, I would spend 3 hours dressing up , and sneaking out in public in my best woman attire, I used to get compliments all the time, many guys even approached me , I was flattered but never felt aroused for guys. Only when woman would stare , I would get a bulge .  Today: I still have a collection of cross dressing items and really good stuff from Sephora. I still cross dress and roam around in the streets of SF during my work travels (when I am off work) , you may run into me on one of my work trips. My wife and kids go on trips to visit my in laws for a month in summer, that’s when I am always dressed like a woman all around, with nail polish done too. I so feel in my element dressed as a woman. Sexual preference: I am into Woman, dominating woman that would control me, dress me up and take me on a girls night out. Make out with me in ladies room . Am I wrong in doing so? Should suppress my desires to cross dress? 
    • Betty K
      Here’s the Apple Podcasts link: https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/tranzmission/id1676048463?i=1000657096844
    • Betty K
      Yesterday I appeared on Brisbane community radio station 4ZZZ discussing the Cass Review, the recent NHS-sponsored review of gender-affirming care for kids in the UK. This is a seismic event for trans kids and their families worldwide, or as I said yesterday, “a world-class piece of anti-trans propaganda”. I have researched this solidly for the past month and will have waaaay more to say on the topic, but for now I hope you’ll listen to this quick overview. The episode is available to stream as a podcast via Spotify and Apple Podcasts.   Trigger warnings: transphobic healthcare, sexualisation of children (touched on briefly, but it is upsetting).   My heart goes out to trans kids and their families in the UK and anywhere else these policies are being enacted.   https://open.spotify.com/episode/3LAHs3VZB8zuGWGt41rzaL?si=BRUHUvz3QmWr5cyCEYyB0Q&context=spotify%3Ashow%3A3Jay63nMJ67bBMI9M59tKe
    • AllieJ
      No, though I am generally happy with my life. Transitioning later in life has left me in a position where I don't pass, and it sometimes confuses people, which makes me sad. I am able to live quite normally due to a supportive community, but I neither chose nor wanted to be trans, so I do hold a level of conflict with it. Early in my transition, my psychologist told me I needed to come to terms with my new role (but she had no advice how to do this) or I wouldn't find peace, and I doubt I ever will. I have learned to live with this, and I am trying to make the most of my time, but true peace and happiness has eluded me.   Hugs,   Allie
    • Amy Powell
      I love the shadow work on this one
    • Amy Powell
      Stunning! That's awesome!
    • Amy Powell
      My wife and I love to cook together, so we have started to create a recipe book to collect all the great flavors we've cooked over the years. These are amongst my favorites.  
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.