• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Estrogen Without Anti-androgens Mtf

Guest Leaf

^

I am not sure if andocur is just one of the brands of finasteride? but what my endo told me is there are two recommended anti androgen. finasteride and spiro. finasteride is better because it has something like DHT blocker that concentrates on fighting T on your body... unlike spiro like for example aldactone, it is not really for anti adrogen purposes but for high blood patients that if you take high doses the side effect would be the decrease in T level on your body. If your gonna look at the MTF HRt guidelines you can see there that finasteride is the one which is really prescribed. :)

Guest Leah1026

^

I am not sure if andocur is just one of the brands of finasteride? but what my endo told me is there are two recommended anti androgen. finasteride and spiro. finasteride is better because it has something like DHT blocker that concentrates on fighting T on your body... unlike spiro like for example aldactone, it is not really for anti adrogen purposes but for high blood patients that if you take high doses the side effect would be the decrease in T level on your body. If your gonna look at the MTF HRt guidelines you can see there that finasteride is the one which is really prescribed. :)

Androcur is a completely different drug.

Finasteride is not a T blocker, it's a DHT blocker, which is NOT the same. Finasteride will help people who have minor hair issues, but as I said it's a weak anti-androgen at best. In fact most doctors stopped prescribing it as such a couple decades ago.

Spiro and Aldactone are the same thing. Most drugs have multinames. For example Spiro is also marketed under the name Spriotone as well.

^

yeah aldactone is one of the brands of spiro.. thats what I am talking about.

about finasteride well I might beg to disagree. You could try googling it or use MIMS book that doctors used for medicine info. this link might help you and others as well understanding what is finasteride. Male baldness is something to do with T level that is why they were prescribe finasteride to convert T into DHT to decrease it. These are the links

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Finasteride

http://www.mims.com/...fo/finasteride/

and another reference that might help you understand about anti androgens

The purpose of this was not to contradict what you have said but to make things clear that finasteride is one of the good anti androgen and safer compare to cyproterone.

Edited by MaryEllen
Link containing hormone dosages removed

^

additional to what I have posted, I just figure out what is androcur.

I thought it was a kind of anti androgen but then I found out it is one of the brands of cyproterone. Well as I have said before this is what my endo advise me that if your gonna compare cypro, spiro, and finasteride... cypro is not any more recommended due to it is more risky in terms of health.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

I'm taking both spiro and finasteride. Spiro for the BP (it's main purpose from what I've been told) and the T blocking effect. And the finasteride for the dht blocking. Mainly cause my hair is a little thin and I want to try that prior to spending a bucket of money on hair implants. I know... I'm sooo vain!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sascha
Most modern regimes for MTF also include GnRH (gonodotrophci releasing hormone) and a bit of progesterone.

Really? Do you have a link for that?

Yes I heard about this. GnRH antagonists are very expensive, and mostly used in pre-adolescents or just in/right after the onset of adolescence. It should work for us as well, but the price stuns it's benefits. It would be very attractive method to stop T production, preferably above an orchiectomy.

Guest Leah1026
Most modern regimes for MTF also include GnRH (gonodotrophci releasing hormone) and a bit of progesterone.

Really? Do you have a link for that?

Yes I heard about this. GnRH antagonists are very expensive, and mostly used in pre-adolescents or just in/right after the onset of adolescence. It should work for us as well, but the price stuns it's benefits. It would be very attractive method to stop T production, preferably above an orchiectomy.

Well then, by your own words, it is NOT part of most peoples regimens. Who has thousands of dollars to blow on them? GnRH inhibitors are very expensive and hence just about the only patients they are used on are young teens. At least that's how it is in the USA.

• 3 months later...
Guest gregoryleigh

I started HRT five weeks ago on spironolactone and estradiol patches.. After two weeks the spiro had wrecked my metabolic panel, especially plummeting sodium. I was taken off spire and remained on estradiol only. The third week I had a hormone panel done and my T was 1 pg/ml, barely detectable as the endo described it, and E was 182/pg/ml She says no spire, nor GnRH for me and lowered my estradiol dosage. So, spire does have risks, particularly for us more mature girls who have a lower T level to begin with. So far changes are moving along without an anti-androgen :) Guess there is one benefit to aging.

Edited by Carolyn Marie
Dosages removed per the T & C's
  • 1 year later...
Guest JorjaFox

I probably won't need much in the way of anti-androgens when I start hormone therapy, at the moment I am on testosterone injections as I have low T , so I think when I stop these and start therapy with female hormones my body probably wont make any testosterone. The last blood test I had showed that I was producing practicaly no luteinising hormone (LH), LH tells the body to produce testosterone .

• 3 months later...
Guest JennyChloe

Here in the UK, (according to the lovely therapist I saw last week), they will be starting me on estrogen alone, at a low dose, then increasing, then adding GnRH only if required. They've stopped using blockers alltogether on the NHS, and believe that GnRH is more effective and carries less risks.

Like everyone else has also said, hormone levels will be monitored carefully throughout. The goal is to get hormone levels to match those of a cis-female at puberty.

Also something to remember ... If you take too much Estrogen.... the body converts the excess into testosterone, not really the desired result!!

Hugs

Jenny

xx

Guest Leah1026

Also something to remember ... If you take too much Estrogen.... the body converts the excess into testosterone, not really the desired result!!

That is a popular myth. Although excess testosterone can easily be converted into estrogen, the reverse is quite rare. However, having high estrogen levels is bad for another reason: It greatly increases your chances of blood clots, deep vein thrombosis and pulomonary embolism (which can kill you).

May I please add one more tid bit about Finasteride. My Doctor told me that Finasteride is an old drug used for enlarged prostate. There are newer more effective drugs to treat that. For years my enlarged prostate was a concern about cancer. On my last and I hope final favorite you know where examination, he told me I was no longer at risk for that type of cancer as my prostate has shrunk to the size of an eighteen year old. Three cheers if I never have to have that intrusive examination again.

What Finasteride did for me is; every hair on my head grew back lively and new. Not a single gray one left. I have my original hair line and no thin spot in back anymore. My hair is still as thin as anyone my age so it is no fountain of youth miracle drug. The real kicker that I enjoy is, my lips have puffed up. Oh kiss me baby! Giggle. Just kidding. I thought at first, that it is a side effect that will go away. I don't think it will. Don't bank on that either, effects on lips isn't in the brochure. Thanks, this is just my It Works For Me. Giggle. Hug. JodyAnn

• Dev unpinned this topic