• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I Finally Got To See A Therapist

Guest Draik

I finally had my first therapist appointment on Wednesday (or was it Tuesday?) and the therapist was really cool. She's had experience with Trans Teens and is ready to do something about transitioning and stuff. The only um "bad" thing is she wants to put me on anti depressants because according to my mom out of 1 to 10 on the depressed scale I'm about an 8. So I'm pretty excited about this. She wants to start seeing me about 1 or 2 times a week. The last therapist I have wasn't very understanding and saw me every 3 weeks so this is a good change. :]

Congratulations!

That sounds like a very positive step!

You might be able to do away with the anti depressants rather quickly if you see this therapist as often as she would like - it all sounds so good and like you are really headed in the right direction!

Yeah! Oh and the ever popular Woo Hoo!

Love ya,

Sally

Congrats! Like Sally said, whether or not she keeps you on medication will depend on what happens. A lot of times as people start therapy and see hope of being who they always saw themselves as open up, the depression subsides. Your therapist is doing what she sees right now and in truth is making the most positive move to get you to physical transition. The standards say that any preexisting issue such as depression if present in such a way as to inhibit functioning significantly or cause worry as to making responsible decisions (Example: not wanting you to be in depression and one day deciding to OD on your shot) the therapist needs to deal with that first before recommending to HRT. And I'm paraphrasing what it says (since I don't have adobe on here) but basically it doesn't say you have to "not have any psychological problem" but rather that its under control, managed, and that you're displaying being stable. :)

Guest Jackson

That is great.

I was on three months of antidepressants from April to June of this past year. I was not a really nice person to be around. I was a little depressed, but I was really grumpy and short-tempered. I got a three-month sample from my doctor. I told her that I was starting to see a gender therapist in May. I saw the gender therapist and explained I was just on the med for three months until I felt that I was actually actively doing something about the dysphoria and that was it. After the three months, that was it. Haven't needed it since.