• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Coming out to teachers at school?

Guest feathering

Guest feathering

At the beginning of the school year, almost all of my teachers had us write a sort of "about me" kind of thing and on the back we were supposed to say something that we wanted them to know. Having difficulty speaking to people in general, I chose to write something along the lines of "I am transgender and prefer male pronouns" instead. None of the teachers said anything about it or acknowledged it, which honestly didn't bother me that much since they have over two hundred students each and I don't think they can keep track of the who-said-what, especially at the beginning of the year.

The only two teachers I ever came out to were my English and Science teachers from my freshman year when I started the Gay Straight Alliance. But after a semester of school and starting up the new year, I'd really like to talk to my current teachers and ask that they use the proper pronouns. I have a lot of problems speaking to anybody, especially at school and especially teachers, so I know it'll be difficult for me, and I just have no idea how to go about it? I'm an aid for my old English teacher and her entire class sees me as male without me having to say anything, so I know I pass fine to people not in my own grade who have known me for a while. I'm just very bad at talking to the teachers I don't know well, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips?

Guest aleon515

Well I doubt that they'd remember that kind of paper or associate it with any one in particular. If you are better on paper than out loud, you might write it down and hand it in person to teachers you think might be sympathetic. I have found that my gut has been pretty good at recognizing people who will get this. I think you are going to have to start standing up for yourself. I don't think being socialized as a female necessarily encourages this type of thing, so you are going to have learn it yourself.

--Jay

I understand what you feel but I had it a tiny bit easier. My therapist told all my teachers cause I came out my last year in high school almost 3 years ago now. I only told one of my counselors before i even got a therapist and it was hard. I was shaking the whole time lol.

If you have trouble talking to people how about writing a letter expressing what you want? I know some of my teachers weren't generally uncomfortable with me wanting to be called male but they were more uncomfortable with what other students would think. From my experience only my friends caught on or people who knew me. Everyone else didn't even notice or care to say anything. So you can explain that. Students tend to follow teachers. After a while when the teachers got used to it everyone else just did it because all the others were.

I will tell you it's important though to make sure that they understand this is what you want and that you understand it will take time. I had one teacher who is very liberal but had the hardest time with me. She called me "walking class" one time because she just was embarrassed about what other people would think when she was trying to get my attention from down the hall. She got over it after a couple months. It takes time. People mess up but in the end its rewarding. My teAchers would switch from he and she in the beginning and I'm sure students just thought something crazy was going on. But if you act like you don't care and everything is normal, they don't care. Transitioning is hard and we just have to know its going to be slippery but we just gotta keep our heads up and walk on and not worry about what others think. Easier said than done but its a start.

Would your parents back you up? Do they have official emails? A note with a parent signature along with your request would probably go farther, but by the time they bother to learn students' names, they should also figure out the pronoun thing if you told all of them on intro papers. I can't think of any reason a teacher would have students do that except to help them actually learn who their students are (names at least!).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 46 Guests (See full list)

• Lorelei
    • Petra Jane
    • MaryEllen
    • Susie
    • Quillian
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

defox
    Newest Member
    defox

1. Alin RP
      Alin RP
      (27 years old)
    2. CipherKai
      CipherKai
      (48 years old)
    3. Dawn2020
      Dawn2020
      (75 years old)
    4. Irwin
      Irwin
      (18 years old)
    5. luke_b
      luke_b
      (21 years old)
    • Sally Stone
      Personally, I think the moderators here strike the perfect balance, and I'd like to thank you all for your efforts.  
    • Sally Stone
      Don't forget TJ Maxx for purses.  I have purchased several from there.  They offer a great variety with good prices.  You can even find high-end bags at affordable prices.   @Ladypcnj purses are one of my weaknesses as well.
    • Mmindy
      You look wonderful.   🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • April Marie
      When I get stuck in androgynous mode for an extended period I have to admit that I salve the dysphoria at times through retail therapy.    And, I've been busy. I search for bargains a lot of eBay, put items on my watchlist, wait for an offer and then typically make a lower counter-offer. Most of the items I buy are new. The strategy has gotten me some amazing deals on brand name clothes.   I will also admi to being a Talbot's Girl and all these are Talbot's items. Their clothes just seem ti fit me well. New in my closet are:  
    • VickySGV
      We have even had them here from time to time I am afraid.   The rights of Free Speech actually carry a weighty responsibility to take the consequences of making that speech and it is that responsibility where the persons making the FREE hateful statements break down.  They insist that the Right shields them from the consequences, but it makes them all the more liable for them in reality.   
    • April Marie
      I hope you have a wonderful day and lunch!!
    • Jani
      When and if a post is removed here, there is always a PM to the poster to explain the action and offer them an opportunity to amend the post to align with T&C's (if possible).     Certainly!  There are always those who will flaunt the rules.  
    • Birdie
      Good morning!! Nice day preparing hamburgers and chips for lunch today for a visiting house guest.   
    • April Marie
      Actually, Memorial Day is the day where we remember and honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country.   Veteran's Day, November 11th, is the day where we honor all who served.   Here is something I found that distinguishes among Memorial, Veteran's and Armed Forces day.  
    • Ladypcnj
      I think Norstrom and Marshalls would be the top leading stores for both fashion and their collections of purses.
    • April Marie
      Welcome to TGP, Amy! You'll find many like-minded people here as well as tons of information. Don't worry about trying to describe yourself. Relax, ask questions, and join in where you feel comfortable.    I started out like you, crossdressing in private, even hiding it from my wife, before coming to the realization that it was much more. I'm still only out to my wife, therapist and priest.....and, of course, everyone here. We all understand how difficult it can be to find oneself amid the emotions and challenges.    We are each unique yet share many commonalities.    We're glad you found us!
    • April Marie
      You are more brave than I. It's only 60 here right now.
    • Charlize
      I was doing my best to get past the fear and shame i felt whenever i went out in public so when i went to therapy and later to my doctor i presented as the woman i felt myself to be.  There was a policy that one had to live as their chosen gender for a year prior to starting HRT.  In some ways that seemed almost right to me as one of the hardest things we do is the entry into society as ourselves.     Of course the way you dress is up to you but be assured that your doctor is there to support not denigrate your decision.   Hugs,   Charlize
    • Lorelei
      And now wearing my hiking dress/swimsuit cover dress as I prepare to kayak back to my truck. 
    • Mirrabooka
      You are right, there are no actual 'roos in Tassie, just their smaller cousins like wallabies and pademelons. Devils are really cute. If you got to see the adults in full noise, you can easily understand why they got portrayed that way in the Looney Tunes cartoons! Emus, or 'bush chooks', have a habit of sneaking up on you and stealing food. I was at an open range zoo a few years ago and was holding a bag of pellets behind me to hide it from the emus in front of me, when one snuck up behind me and stole it. I've never jumped so high in my life! I almost needed to change my undies! 😆
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.