• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Just a few questions.

Guest soclosetobeingshawn

Guest soclosetobeingshawn

I came out to my dad via text but he basically chose to ignore it, he still calls me his "daughter."

Anyways. Where do you guys get your binders? Is there anyway I can sneak mine somehow to my house? What else should I know about them?

Also, bathrooms. Do you use the mens room? I can't pass, so I most likely can't go in there without being reported. I really would like to start using it, but I'm so afraid.

thanks for anything you can help me with.

shawn~

Guest Dragonseeker

Your dad just needs some time to think about what you told him. This is very hard for parents to accept and it rarely happens overnight. My mom has known almost two years and is still struggling with it. Just keep talking to him about how you feel and ask to speak to a gender therapist.

I purchased my binder from Underworks. I got the tri top. I like it and I was able to sneak buy it cause I have my own money and debit card. And I was home when the package arrived. It feels pretty good, just make sure you get the right size. You don't want it to be too tight cause that will cause a lot of problems. It only takes me about 5 seconds to get in mine but I know others have taken much longer getting theirs on..

I don't use the men's room at the moment. I pass prolly 65% of the time but I just avoid public restrooms right now unless I absolutely have to go which isn't often. Hopefully a guy on here who is using men's restrooms can help you out some more.

-Jake

• Forum Moderator

Hi Shawn

When I still wore binders I got most from ebay. Far cheaper. But the longer I live male the less I like binders. Males move freely and binders can interfere with that if they are tight which most of us seem to be driven to do. But if you look closely at natal men they are not flat fronted after early puberty and start putting on any muscle AND they are never flat straight across, There is a slight divot across the front that binders don't create, I use a couple of athletic compression shirts which allow me to move and breathe freely, are not dangerous as all binders ultimately are, and give a more natural look. I also plan to get a mens Spanx undershirt next month to see how they work because chest "firming" is something they specifically talk about targeting. They create natural lines and are a garment made to look natural under clothing with technology no binder can match because we are just not a large enough target audience for research to pay off. BTW I am uber chest dysphoric and have to fight my own inclination to bind-and over bind though I KNOW it looks less natural and is dangerous

I didn't start using the men's room till I was passing close to 100%. I'd say to use the bathroom of the gender you are being seen as because people are funny and sensitive about bathrooms. I must confess I have never ever been questioned or even gotten a funny look in the men's room. I use an STP and always use a stall but that first time in a men's room was one of the scariest things I ever did. I thought I chose a time it would be empty too and instead hit when there was a room full of men coming and going. Still no problem. It is a place men mind their own business and just get in and out. I'd be scared to use the Women's now. In fact awhile ago on a day out with my daughter when the mens room was full she told me to use the women's instead. I told her to look closely and tell me she thought it would be okay. She looked at me and said "Nope. Forget that You'll just have to wait"

It all comes in time. And eventually becomes routine. But I also vividly remember once transition started I felt just wrong being in the women's room and scared to go in the men's after a lifetime of conditioning against it. I had forgotten though till I saw your post. It does resolve and then fades because the time drags while you are going through it but is really just a temporary situation ultimately.

Johnny

Guest Jaques

binders can be bought or made, as im in england i cant tell you where to get yours - but i wouldnt use the mens WC until you pass, as has been said, it can sometimes cause problems - i actually got barred from a club for doing so - even though i had my gender change certificate on me - as you have probably understood by now, these things can take a lot of time and energy when transitioning, particularly with parents, so patience is important - good luck with it..........

Guest Oxygenic

Your dad will come around soon if you convince him enough, hopefully. You have to remember that it doesn't happen overnight.. my mom is the same way, but she's working on it. Parents and friends won't be making a shift to address you by the correct pronouns and titles within a day or two. It takes patience.

As for binders, I don't even have one yet. I'm getting one tomorrow though, probably, and I'm ordering it from FTM Underworks with a coupon that marks off about 10-20%. Ebay carries them fairly cheap, and there are some compression tanks you can buy off of Amazon for about $20. It basically looks just like a tanktop, so you don't have to be too obvious about your purchase. There isn't any place you can buy them in public, unless if you go the Ace bandage route which is a no.

I don't like using bathrooms in public. I'm not very confident when it comes to passing. I look too androgynous to even dare venture into the mens room, so I try to find a gender neutral bathroom or quickly run into the womens one when there aren't many people around because I can still come across as male... I live in the worst state when it comes to the bathroom situation. (Unsure if I'd actually have to stick with the womens bathroom due to a bill.) I'd say if you're confident with passing, give it a shot. But if not, try to find a handicapped/gender-neutral restroom.. and if worst comes to worst, go with the female restrooms.

Guest José rawks sox

I came out to my dad via text but he basically chose to ignore it, he still calls me his "daughter."

Anyways. Where do you guys get your binders? Is there anyway I can sneak mine somehow to my house? What else should I know about them?

Also, bathrooms. Do you use the mens room? I can't pass, so I most likely can't go in there without being reported. I really would like to start using it, but I'm so afraid.

thanks for anything you can help me with.

shawn~

hey shawn,

sorry to hear that your father ignored the text, try to give him some time even though it's hard. he may come around. it's very hard to come out in the first place do to how people may react or so I find myself feeling fear at times due to that so I give you a lot of credit being able to tell him. I was terrified to come out to my own father even though he lives all the way in Puerto rico an i'm in ny. as far as binders, I've looked on various websites to get an idea of price range ect but I haven't actually ordered one made for an FTM, ive been binding for a long time now however what ive used to bind i wouldn't recommend due to it being very constricting and not comfortable at all. if you are small on top some guys can get away with wearing an athletic compression type shirt, another possibility if you are small would be a high impact sports bra (the word still makes me cringe at times but it may work depending on your size.) as for bathrooms, if you use the mens restroom use caution if you have trouble passing. if you do use the mens room, most importantly do not make eye contact or speak to anyone, just get in and get out as quickly as possible. i try to find a stall farthest away because i feel most comfortable that way, i never like using any public bathrooms even if they are gender friendly, i can't always go when people are around lol. sorry if i wasn't able to be of much help but i wish you the best of luck with your father coming around about this!

Guest Specter

I got mine from UnderWorks. They've lasted a good 4 years too, so it's worth the price in my opinion. As for public restrooms, I honestly haven't built up the courage or confidence to use the mens room just yet, despite being on T for 4 months. I still look for family restrooms. :|

Guest Kai Reddtail

I am pre-everything, and I don't pass 100% of the time, but recently I did use a men's restroom. I kept getting stared at in the women's, and I was tired of going in the wrong one so that day I said "Screw this" and went in the men's room.
I was scared but, for the most part men don't really take notice in the washroom. Go in, pee, get out. Nobody gave me a second look.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 65 Guests (See full list)

• FelixThePickleMan
    • Susie
    • Ivy
    • Karen Carey
    • Thea
    • Lydia_R
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • Mike P
    • VickySGV
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

his-mom
    Newest Member
    his-mom

1. Ale975
      Ale975
      (27 years old)
    2. BillieB
      BillieB
      (65 years old)
    3. BrokenDays
      BrokenDays
      (34 years old)
    4. Bryson
      Bryson
      (25 years old)
    5. Jolie
      Jolie
    • Lydia_R
      I'm a tracker and I've paid for 100% of my transition costs out of pocket.  Counseling was a huge, huge part of my transition and well worth my money.  Not to be uppity about all of this.  I'm just sharing information I have because I have it and it may be useful for others.  Here is my analysis of my spending on transition over the last 2.5 years:   Medical Doctors and Blood Draws: $2,397 Counseling: $3,800 Medications (brand name): $2,702.85 Medications (generic): $485.39 Total: $9,385.24   I picked up on the internet early in transition that transition is a consumer activity.  I tend to agree with that.   This year (Jan - May 18th, 2024), I've spent: Medical Doctors: $102 Medications: $241.52 Total: $343.52   So I'm on a much more sustainable path with it.  I'm pretty happy with where I am with it, although I do still desire surgery and am nervous about how that will all unfold.  But my doctors have me on this steady state thing.  I could seek out other medications, but what I'm doing is good enough.  Oh, I'm missing something....  I did a bunch of electrolysis that didn't appear to have any effect.  I've always enjoyed shaving and I use pink shaving cream now (I've got some lipstick blond in me).  It's good enough.  Not sure if I'll do electro or laser in the future.  The need to shave my body has become less and less.  Before HRT, I was shaving my body weekly or even every 5 days.  Now it is more like 2-3 weeks.  Everyone's body hair is different.  My beard is very coarse and stiff while my body hair has been somewhat minimal and light.  It's nice to have smooth legs and not have to shave as much.   Counseling was $200/session.  I tried one or two counselors before I found one who resonated with where I really was.  When I was prescribed HRT, I didn't fill the prescription until 4 months later.  I had to take some time to decide that I really wanted to take on that lifetime financial commitment.  And of course the possibly negative health consequences too, but I think I was actually thinking more about the finances of it all.  Maybe 51%.   I did a lot of work to revitalize my career before jumping into medical transition.  I started counseling 3 months before I got the best paying job of my life.  The pressure of wanting to transition was so great that I couldn't wait any longer.  She was coming out.  Even though I had very little money, I splurged on some nice dresses and a full length mirror and then started counseling.  Sometimes you just have to move forward and hope for the best.  Other times it is better to wait and do some hard work.  The grace of it all..
    • Ivy
      And when the pressure is released it sucks in heat.  I had a regulator leaking and it was covered with ice.  It's how a heat pump works as well.   Why do they always pick names like this?  It's like the exact opposite of what it really is. I hate politics so much.  But I still have to follow it.
    • Lydia_R
      Wonderful!  This reminds me of a discussion I had with my brother a decade ago.  I said that things expand when they get hotter.  He said, no, they expand when they get colder.  And I had to think about that for a while.  The weird thing is that H20 is special in that when it reaches freezing, it expands.   The pressure makes the cold and then we see the condensation.
    • KatieSC
      I used to have a really good therapist, however, she does not accept health insurance reimbursement fees as they are too low. I had to pay 130 per session. When she decided to jack the rates to 185 per hour, I cut bait. Without a doubt, counseling is very helpful. What concerns me greatly is that we are a vulnerable population. Unfortunately, we can easily be targeted for some pretty high fees. How many of us have been in the situation where our healthcare provider, surgeons, or counselors, have required cash payments? We get jammed as well by the health insurance companies as they often will not pay for items that could be essential to our well-being. It is my contention that our chances of being targeted for violence, death, or harassment, go up when we cannot easily blend in with the female population.    For those of us that are MTF, some of us are blessed with more feminine features, and many of us are not. We get the whammy of a larger skeleton, bigger hands, bigger feet, a beard, a deep voice, and masculine face. It takes a lot for some of us to be able to blend in. My belief is that the better we blend in, the better chance we have of not being targeted. In this, electrolysis, facial feminizing/gender affirming facial surgery, voice/speech therapy with voice feminization/gender affirming voice surgery, and body contouring are all potentially lifesaving. Unfortunately, many of the insurance companies deem the procedures as cosmetic, and yet there is no cosmetic that fixes all of these issues.    If you pay your money, you can get anything you want in this world. The sad reality is that for us, many of these procedures would enhance our lives tremendously, yet we face ongoing battles with our very existence. Yeah, an empathetic therapist helps, but is it just the concept of reasonable empathy at a reasonable cost? When my therapist jacked her rates to 185 per hour, I said enough is enough. Your mileage may vary.
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      I don't think the temperature matters as much.  Think about how gases like CO2 are stored in cylinders, and they are basically the same in summer or winter.  Any gas becomes liquid under enough pressure.  What does matter is the strength of the pressure vessel.  If exposed to excess external heat, pressure increases and can burst a tank or a pipe.  Household propane tanks are often painted white or silver and have safety release valves, because sunlight can heat a tank enough to cause a significant increase in internal pressure, even though the contents remain liquid. 
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      It has been a long week, and I think this weekend is going to be pretty busy.  The high school is having their graduation later today.  Although we don't have any grads in our family this year, my husband is going because he's involved with the school.  And tonight there's the torchlight ceremony for the county cadets who are finishing their program, and the reading of assignments for the new seniors.  One of my stepkids will be a senior this year.  She's talented, and will be assigned a squad leader position.  My husband is really proud of her, and she's well-liked by her peers even though she's very quiet and serious.    I might get to go on a trip to Texas this week.  The storms that hit Houston caused a lot of electrical damage, so no doubt the utilities in that area will be ordering stuff from my husband's company.  When the big hurricane hit Florida in 2022, we made several trips there with badly-needed equipment, and the entire transportation department was involved in the first convoy.  When he travels, I usually want to go along, since 1-on-1 time is kind of rare for us. 
    • Mmindy
    • Lydia_R
      Maybe surface tension?   I was in a political debate yesterday and it got way too focused on social stuff and I just had to steer the conversation back to how natural gas transitions to a liquid under pressure.  One of the people I was debating had a career working in that field and it was a good opportunity to expose stuff like that.  He mentioned that it isn't just pressure, it is temperature too.  So then I mentioned how the lines are running underground and asked how that played a role in it.  He came back saying that natural gas is a liquid under pressure.  I guess I didn't get a straight answer on that, but it did move my thinking one step down the road.  Perhaps I should have been more direct with him and asked him at what temperature and pressure.  Is there a chart?   I feel people would be better off if they paid more attention to the objects in their environment instead of focusing on some of the things that we hear so much of in the news.  People are pretty clueless as to how much trigonometry plays a role in so many things in our society.  Even land surveyors don't really use it anymore because programmers locked it away in a function.  Much like how cascading style sheets (CSS) is a wrapper for math.  I wonder what former president Trump thinks about all of that?  He must have some knowledge of how his buildings are constructed, right?  There certainly is a part of me that thinks he is just putting on a show about all of this.  Perhaps I'm wrong though.  All kinds of people in the world.
    • Jani
      Me as well.  I can use my left hand for many tasks though.
    • Jani
      Hello Jennifer and welcome back.  I find New England to be a great place to live.  I have a number of acquaintances and friends in Maine and I love the state.  It seems you are doing well.     Hugs,  Jani
    • MirandaB
      Oh, my "maybe this person is an egg" story is the (male presenting) piercing person and I discussed body hair removal methods, he says he doesn't want any hair except on his head, which is what I said during a couple hair removal sessions before and just after the egg cracked.     
    • Karen Carey
      I, too, am lucky.  Here in the UK I have a great therapist, a fully supportive GP, and a psychiatrist and endo who look after me and my needs.  I found the therapist on Psychology Today.
    • Lydia_R
      Over the last few years of being on this site and going through medical transition, I've come to own the M->F identification.  Funny, I made a typo of M->T.  It is a curiosity if I'll ever put Gender: Female on this site.  It is my intention to be there someday.   Right now, because of career stuff and a high stress event with an electric hair clipper last fall, I'm feeling much more masculine than I would like.  I think that once I make some decent headway with my third career, I'll settle into a more feminine feeling.   I never really considered gender very much.  I certainly always used a feminine appearance as my presentation goal. I think that when I was young, I briefly had the idea of transitioning, but I convinced myself quickly that medical transition would be a bad outcome, so I put all those feelings and ideas in the closet for decades.  I'm still very apprehensive about medical transition.  I've always taken health to be a high priority for me.  I wrote a book last December about my fears of it all and my conclusion ultimately is that sometimes there is more to life than being a pillar of health.  It's important to take some chances if that is where your heart takes you.
    • Lydia_R
    • Lydia_R
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.