• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Do you ever regret joining?

Guest GinaInside

I don't regret joing the US Army. It was the only time in my life when I thought I could beat my TS, but, I'm not very masculine, and despite my efforts was fairly easily read. But initially I joined for 3 reasons:

1) I believed then, and still do, that it is every able bodied person's duty to stand for our freedom, as so many did before us.

2) I believed the Army could make me a man.

3) If #2 did'nt work out, I thought I had a reasonable chance for an honorable death.

I went to basic a week after I turned 17. Already, I felt like I was dying because of my TS. I thought serving in the Army would "cure" me. Well, it not only did'nt work out, I only served 2 years 2 months of a 3 year enlistment, because of my TS.

If I could do it all over again, I would have been more careful about my mannerisms, and speech, which were what started causing me problems. But, 1 of the top 3 mistakes of my life, was not accepting my TS, when I did'nt cut it as a Soldier; I should have started on Transition then, that is my regret.

I have to admit that I regretted joining the Navy very much. Like many of you, a huge part of why I joined was to “make me a man”. This was also in the final days of the first Gulf War and was proud to be able to serve my country. I then spent 6 of the most miserable years of my life not fitting in AT ALL. I was deeply depressed and often suicidal. To this day, sixteen years after being honorably discharged, if I get too stressed out, I will have one of my “Navy Dreams” where I wasn’t able to get out or suddenly have to go back in.

Now, if I could do it all again would I… that I don’t know. I never would have met my wife. I wouldn’t have my daughter. Who knows if my life would have been better or worse.

Guest Elizabeth1974

Alex,

Thank you for your service.

I know the feeling while I don't regret joining and never will we were in at about the same time and fir all the great memories I have there are just as many horrible ones if not more. Like the time while a mess crank I broke down crying in the scullery or the hazing the engineers provided. But my two kids and the many great places and the good experiences allow me to see them as just part of life a tax for all the good things we do have.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest_

Not for a second. I was Active Duty Air Force for 4 years, and was in the reserves for 18 1/2 years. Was activated for Desert Shield / Desert Storm. Went over seas several times, and got to see some interesting places and things. I will never regret joining. Wii have a nice retirement when I turn 60. Please remember all of our military in todays world. Keep them in your prayers. Amber L.

Guest LizMarie

I don't regret joining the army. It didn't do what I wanted it to do (make a "man" out of me) but it taught me very, very much and for that I am thankful. And it wasn't just being in the army either. It was living in Europe for three years, living in Colorado for just over a year and a half, living in Texas and then Virginia each for another year and a half each. All those places, all those people, all those experiences enriched my life and helped to slowly open my eyes. It would take me another 28 years after leaving the army to fully open my eyes, but the blinders that this small town child of coal mines and steel mills had first began to fall off when I was in the army.

• 5 months later...
Guest DanielleH

There are times where I have feelings of regret, but overall I do not regret joining. I also joined in hopes that the Army would make me a man, so I decided to enlist for what I considered to be the manliest MOS that I could think of, Infantry and airbourne. Ended up getting the boot from Airbourne school for rolloing my eyes at a black hat. Talk about feeling like you failed and starting out on the wrong foot. I'm glad that I did serve though, I got to see some cool places. The only thing that I regret is that I had wished that I knew myself a little better then and not tried to be someone I wasn't. My service though is one of the few things that I am proud of though.

Guest Jennifer T

And thank you Danielle for your service. Actually, I thank all of you who have served and those who still do. Whether the military made men of us or not, serving a nation for its ideals and the protection of its people is an honorable task. And should never be glossed over.

Reading through all these replies, it is amazing to me to see that so many of us did try to become men in this fashion. But for any who doubt, you are all proof that bravery and self sacrifice are not the sole domain of men. Many brave women, CIS of TG, have given of themselves in this fashion and proved that honor is in the heart.

Again, I salute you all.

Peace.

Guest mbmeen12

I dont regret enlisting and I am currently still serving, I needed to get out of town to see the world and break free of my parents and there life decisions they made.

I have no regrets at all. As it turned out, it was the best things for me. The year I joined (1971) was a turbulent one for me. My family was having problems. The nation was changing and I was confused and lost. When the smoke cleared I saw many things for what they were. Getting away from New York allowed me to see life from another perspective. Many positive things happened at a critical juncture of my life. Looking back now, I needed to get away.

Guest KellyB

I've never once regretted joining the military, sure, there were days that I wished I hadn't joined (mostly days that involved conex boxes and inspections) but overall the military has been one of the greatest things I've ever done... It did get me to become hyper masculine and develop a less than truly me physique, but mentally it has given me so much. The strength and conviction and determination I've needed to overcome a lot of obstacles in my life... So much of the military is mental. With the right attitude, some common sense, and willing to work as a team, you can overcome anything. The military also gave me a place where it didn't matter what my gender was (other than in a PT test). We all wore the same uniform and were held to the same standard. In my short time in, I've never come across true discrimination (i'm not open or out about being trans, and while I'm on duty its all business, I restrict access to my personal life to a select few)... All in all if you meet the standard, it doesn't matter your gender, color, or orientation... What matters is you can get the job done and done well. I'll probably continue my military career to retirement.