• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Jacci's Stormscapes :)

Guest Jacci

Guest RainBird

I thought I would make a general thread to keep the photos all together instead of posting several random ones..

I'd just like to share with you some of my storm chasing adventures lol.. I'll update new pics as they come ;)

Please enjoy! :D

xo

Well, here's the latest one.. (clickable thumb)

th_DSC_1779a2sml.png

Guest Donna Jean

Well, there you go again, Jacci....more beauty for our world!

......................................................................Here, let me step out of the way so everyone else can admire it!

Wonderful!

XXOO

Donna Jean

Guest Felicia Anne

eep!!!

(diving under the bed to hide)

that's my way of saying two things. first, i am scared of thunder storms. and two, your photos are that good! please keep them coming :)

That one with the dark scape background is award winning. Just when I think I am good at photo shop an award winner shows up and makes me work harder.. Great job Jacki...Photo winning hugs...Mia.

Guest RainBird

Here's one from a while ago, quite typical of the wet season weather here.

This photo shows what is called a shelf cloud along the thunderstorms' gust front.. When mature squall line thunderstorms become outflow dominant, they often produce spectacular cloud structures, microbursts and damaging wind gusts in their wake before they dissapate, This particlar storm was severe warned, producing gusts to 104km/h at Darwin Airport. A funnel cloud was also sighted from the Harbour, observed by a another chaser friend of mine.

While supercells may be uncommon here, we certainly get some awesome beasts. Darwin is also know as one of the most lightning prone areas in the world, much like Florida in the USA :)

th_CSC_1087.png

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments, big hugs all round! :)

Excellent again. Do you study meterology at your university.

My assumption is you hava the gift of left brain and right brain..... B) Mia.

Well you are a gift to us...Mia.

Guest RainBird

Hey Mia :)

You know the funny thing is I've done one of those brain hemisphere tests! lol!!

I came up right brain dominant (which might explain why I'm bad at math lol)

I don't really know much about meteorology in intricate details to tell the truth, I just learned some simple and valuble steps that were explained to me from other friends who are big weather boffins, learning their jargon, terminology and soaking up a bit of knowledge, the rest is up to an artistic eye, practice and experience with SLR photography ;)

Luv,

Jacci :)

xo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Donna Jean

AWwwww, Jacci!!!

The dark to light shades of blue in that pic are incredible!!!!

You're filling up the folder that I have on my computer just for your pics...BTW...don't worry....they'll never leave my sight. No one will get them...

Do you have them protected? I wouldn't want them showing up on another site under someone else's name!!!

Big Huggs, Sweetie!

Donna Jean

Guest RainBird

Aww thank you Donna!! :D

Yeah, I normally watermark any photos for the web larger than this size and are copyright to www.stormbirdphotography.com.au.. small sizes like this are ok because if anyone tried to steal credit for them as their own they would be put to shame when I prove to have the high res originals ;)

You guys are more than welcome to save any of the pics in here to your PC :)

Much luv and hugs,

Jacci :)

Guest Jackson

Whew! Thank you kindly, Jacci. I've been dying to save a couple of your lightning photos for my desktop image. They are some of the best I've ever seen. Makes me want to come down under and chase storms.

Guest RainBird

And one from a chase earlier this evening..

I can't believe I got this one!!

I was absolutely speachless when I saw it on the LCD screen.. daylight lightning is very hard to capture, it relies on fast reflexes!

Annaburro NT - 20th Feb 2009

_DSC2295asml.png

xxoo

And one from a chase earlier this evening..

I can't believe I got this one!!

I was absolutely speachless when I saw it on the LCD screen.. daylight lightning is very hard to capture, it relies on fast reflexes!

Excellent, I can't believe that you caught it either, do you leave your camera's auto focus turned off and set to infiniy when you are shooting storms? I can't think of any other way for the camera to respond quickly enough. So that is what I do.

Just trying to get a little help for people with out a lot of camera background.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest RainBird

The focus was set to infinity manually ;)

I used a tripod with a remote shutter cable attached so I didn't have to touch the camera (which can make it blur or shake)

A rather tight apparture was used to lengthen the shutter speed a little, it was too bright to do long exposures like in the dark.

A very low ISO was used, the lower the better imo, it will produce less grain and noise.

The only way to cheat chance and reflexes in daylight is to buy a compatable lightning sensor which mounts on the flash shoe.. only I can't afford one atm lol! :lol:

Thank you Zabrak and Sally! :)

xxoo

Guest Jackson

I'm telling you, Jacci. Those are beautiful. Thanks for the info about the camera settings. I've always wanted to have the reflexes and the ability to photograph lightning. But first I need to get a manual camera.