• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Need some relief from Bible Thumpers?

I didn't quite know where to share this and I preface to say my intention is not to start the Great Debate or new Holy War, so if that's your thing, please start your own thread, Having said that, please let me share:

I consider myself a spiritual Christian that is saved by God's grace not some religion. I'm not fond of religion at all. I do really love God and God loves me. I don't like being called an abomination, but I far hate it worse when I hear sad stories here, that my sisters and brothers have to take that flack. Somewhere about ten years back I heard about a book and I bought it, read it, cherished it, lent it out and lost it. It is still in print and available at the public Library, where I checked it out after I waited for it to come back. Oh yeh, the book? The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning ISBN0-7862-5704-0. For me, and only me, this book is the searchlight into the darkness of oppressive religion. It may also let others here feel just as uplifted as it did for me. I read this way before my transition, but now today it is even more pointed and helpful for me. It is a message that makes me feel good about me and a tool (not a weapon) to push away the hate. I call it a must read.

The book is funny. thought provoking and a feel good about yourself kind of information, for all people that are broken inside and human. Hmmm... I guess that covers about everybody on the planet. Giggle. One of my favorite things he said I will paraphrase. Horrible sinner comes to God, broken hearted that the church won't let him in. God replies, I don't know what you are complaining about they won't let me in either! LOL! This is the wit of a Minister and Author that was broken by his own addictions and finding recovery and a new slant on God. I'm not sure just how many Bible Thumper would be willing to have their beliefs challenged by this information, so it may only be here to strengthen us. God loves us too, we are perfectly acceptable as we are, at what ever phase of our transitions and transformations. Thanks for letting me share this and I hope you take the time to read the book. Hug. JodyAnn

Horrible sinner comes to God, broken hearted that the church won't let him in. God replies, I don't know what you are complaining about they won't let me in either!

That's great :)

• Admin

A couple of books I would recommend are both by John Shelby Spong who is a retired Episcopalian Bishop. Rescuing The Bible From Fundamentalism and Reclaiming The Bible For A Non-religious World are "behind the scenes" looks at what is really being written and more importantly why they were written as they were. They are not as homey as the book Jody mentions, but they are eye openers and have sent me into new spiritual paths within Chriistianity.

The truth of the matter is that very few people who quote the Bible have read the Bible. Even fewer look at it as a book that tells the story of its authors and the times they were writing, as well as the story ABOUT (and not BY) the diety they were looking to for cultural and spiritual life. The Bible is a book that shows a history of cutural introspection and change that seems contradictory, but was not since it was a "growing up" experience from a very tribal group of people with a tribal centric identity into broader cultural settings and the beginning of person centered identities in urban cultures. I like my Bible better seeing it from that point of view, and think its time for a new version to be put in the presses.

Guest DianeATL

Timely post, did you hear the Pope's comments this week? Paraphrasing, the church needs to get off of the hyperfocus on issues like gay marriage or it will collapse like a house of cards.

I too have a personal spiritual connection but don't have a lot of love for the buildings and power structures that try to represent the 100000 flavors of religion. I think my fed up point came when they told my sister that despite having undergrad degrees in religion with languages and seminary post grad degrees she could never be a full minister because she lacked a Y chromosome. Gee, imagine birth gender assignment being a sensitive subject for me. ;-)

There are certainly many good people and good works from those organizations but rigid interpretations and hard line dogmas keep me away.

Hugs

Diane

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Andrea_Heilotes

Timely post, did you hear the Pope's comments this week? Paraphrasing, the church needs to get off of the hyperfocus on issues like gay marriage or it will collapse like a house of cards.

I too have a personal spiritual connection but don't have a lot of love for the buildings and power structures that try to represent the 100000 flavors of religion. I think my fed up point came when they told my sister that despite having undergrad degrees in religion with languages and seminary post grad degrees she could never be a full minister because she lacked a Y chromosome. Gee, imagine birth gender assignment being a sensitive subject for me. ;-)

There are certainly many good people and good works from those organizations but rigid interpretations and hard line dogmas keep me away.

Hugs

Diane

I have been seeing what the Imam of Rome has been saying lately, my family are devout Catholics and they're in touch with the rest of the local Catholic nutcases and it seems there is popular perception that the Pope's more compassionate remarks are being taken out of context and that at face value they sound good and tolerant, but in reality it's not what the Pope is really saying at all. Which is a shame because it almost makes me want to like the Catholic church again.

I don't know if the Papists are aware that they're shooting themselves in the foot here by undermining the more tolerant remarks of their most holy father.

If the Pope said that the church needs to unfocus on things like gay rights or else the church will collapse... he's only partially right. It occurred to me the other day that the Church has already collapsed in western Europe and most of North America. It's just not present anymore. It's dead as dead can be. Sure there's a handful of old stalwarts amongst the post-catholic population, but the Church has no more influence there.

It seems that the forces of modernity have overtaken the forces of the medieval primitivism. The Church in Europe is in its death throes and it's only a matter of time until it disappears completely. It has collapsed. They might as well just move the Vatican to Buenos Aires or Rio.

• Admin

It is very hard for most people to realize that the "bedrock" of their beliefs is actually turning in to mud that will create a sink hole for them. Maybe I am lucky to live in an area where earthquakes cause a condition called "liquifaction" where hard dirt and rock take on the qualities of soupy mud even for just a moment or two and life comes down around your ears!! That is the physical equivalent of what is happening to many religions today. What an earthquake does is pretty hard on your internal belief systems in the physical world, what about a spiritual shaking of magnitude 10?? Onlly a few people really believe an earthquake is going to hit at any time and have little or no preparation for it. Thus the folks who revere and then despise a religious leader who predicts an earthquake.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 101 Guests (See full list)

• EasyE
    • VickySGV
    • Betty K
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Selkimur
    Newest Member
    Selkimur

1. BraxtonLee
      BraxtonLee
      (26 years old)
    2. Bryanna
      Bryanna
      (45 years old)
    3. Jayde1
      Jayde1
    4. Mireya
      Mireya
      (66 years old)
    5. Shellianne_Kay83
      Shellianne_Kay83
      (41 years old)
    • Betty K
      Pretty soon I think I might be ready to talk about gender-affirming care for kids, possibly w/r/t the Cass Review and its shortcomings.
    • KayC
      She was a beautiful young woman ...   "What we do know is that the offender was a very violent individual and should not have been on our streets.”  Whether gender related or not, the mental health and incarceration issues in our country are incredibly bad and need to be addressed.
    • Sally Stone
      April,   I'm glad my entries are interesting to you.  TransCentralPA is a great organization with so many caring people.  I would strongly recommend you find a way to attend the Keystone Conference.  I guarantee you'll find it an amazing experience.     Hugs,   Sally
    • KayC
    • KayC
      Dear @Sally Stone.  I think you should author a memoir based on these posts (maybe you're already working towards that?).  You could decide at a later time if/when you might want to publish.   I appreciate you sharing your deep connection with your friend Willa (and I am sorry for your loss) and the benefit of having a Trans friend and mentor in our Life and Journey.  I was fortunate to have found one also in our TGP friend @Kasumi63.   As you know we share many common Life themes in our stories.  Drop me a PM if you'd like to chat about it.  Looking forward to the next 'chapter'.
    • Mirrabooka
      Voting is compulsory here, for better or worse. Would doing the same in the US snap people out of their apathy?
    • Abigail Genevieve
      I am noting you use CRT terminology.  The comment is not out of the blue.  Some of your remarks on religion suggest atheism.  So it is believable that you are a Marxist, knowingly or not.  Are you?
    • RaineOnYourParade
      Congrats to your family on the new addition!
    • RaineOnYourParade
      Funny you think that I would be able to get through more than two sentences with how bad my stutter gets (joking, of course)   My topic would probably be mythology, random Japan factoids in my mind, or a favorite story   (Best option would be a fave story of mine including a lot of factoids on Japanese myths-)
    • Willow
      Congratulations @ivy. Nothing beats a family growing two feet at a time!
    • April Marie
      I read each of your entries and learn so much. Thank you, especially, for the TransCentralPA info. I have been looking fora group and activities where I could express myself safely and with support. I missed this year's conference but next year might be possible and I am going to look at their other events, too.
    • April Marie
      Leadership and Management, the differences and similarities between the two as well as the applications of military leadership principles across the spectrum of professions.
    • Abigail Genevieve
      I have read numerous accounts of trans folk no longer being welcome among evangelicals.   I am here for help and fellowship not to rebuke anyone.  I can take a pretty high degree of insult, etc., and you haven't insulted me, to my recollection anyway :) and I usually let it go.  But I thought I would let it all out there.   I am sure I disagree with you on numerous issues.  I appreciate other people's viewpoints, including those who radically disagree with me.  Intellectual challenge is good. One thing I appreciate about @MaeBe.
    • Abigail Genevieve
      Congrats!
    • Sally Stone
      Post 8 “The Ohio Years” We moved to Pittsburgh because of the job with US Airways.  The job involved classroom instruction and simulator training, but no actual flying, so I kept looking for an actual pilot position.  A year after signing on with US Airways I got hired to fly business jets.  The company was located in Cleveland, Ohio, but I was flown commercially from my home in Pittsburgh to where my aircraft was located, making it unnecessary to live near company headquarters.    My flight scheduled consisted of eight days on duty with seven days off.  Having seven days off in a row was great but being gone from home eight days in a row was difficult.  For the first few years the flying was fun, but after a while the eight flying days in a row, were taking their toll on me.  Those days were brutal, consisting of very long hours and a lot of flying time.  Usually, I came home exhausted and need three days just to recover from the work week.  Flying for a living is glamorous until you actually do it.  Quickly, it became just a job.    After five years as a line captain, I became a flight department manager, which required we live near company headquarters.  That meant a move to Cleveland.  Working in the office meant I was home every night but as a manager, the schedule was still challenging.  I would work in the office all week and then be expected to go out and fly the line on weekends.  I referred to it as my “5 on 2 on” schedule, because it felt as though I had no time off at all.   About the same time, we moved to Cleveland, my wife and I became “empty nesters,” with one son in the military and the other away at college.  Sadly, my work schedule didn’t leave much time for Sally.  Add to the fact that while Cleveland is an awesome city, I just never felt comfortable expressing my feminine side.  Most of my outings, and believe me there weren’t enough, occurred while I was on vacation and away from home.   One of the most memorable outings occurred over a long weekend.  I had stumbled across an online notice for a spring formal being held in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, hosted by a local trans group there.  I reached out to Willa to see if she was up for an excellent adventure.  She was, so I picked her up and we drove to Harrisburg together.    The formal was held on Saturday evening and we had the absolute best time.  It turned out that organizers were a group named TransCentralPA.  Everyone was wonderful and I made a lot of new friends that evening.  We learned the spring formal was one of the group’s annual events but for the following year, instead of a spring formal, the group wanted to do a local transgender conference.  That local conference would become the Keystone Conference, and I would attend every year for the next 12.  My move to the west coast was the only reason I stopped attending annually.  I went to the first annual Keystone Conference as an attendee, but in subsequent years I served as a volunteer and as a workshop presenter; more about those in the next installment.   For my Cleveland years, the Keystone Conference would be my major outlet for feminine self-expression.  Yes, I did get out on other occasions, but they were too infrequent.  The managerial job just didn’t allow me the freedom I needed to adequately live my feminine life, and my frustration level was slowly, but steadily on the rise.  It amazed me how adversely not being able to express the feminine half of my personality was affecting my happiness.   However, a major life change was upcoming, and while it would prove to be a significant challenge in many ways, the events would ultimately benefit my female persona.  First, my mom and dad got sick.  They were in and out of the hospital and required personal care.  My wife and I did our best but living in Cleveland, we were too far from them to give them the support they both needed.  Second, I was experiencing serious job burn out.  I decided I need to find another job and I needed to be closer to my parents.    Things changed for the better when I got hired by an aviation training company as a flight simulator instructor.  I would be training business jet pilots.  The training facility was located in New Jersey, which put us much closer to my parents, and the work schedule was much better for quality of life.  Most importantly, this life change would help Sally re-emerge and once again flower.    Hugs,   Sally       
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.