• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Yet Another School "Controversy"

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

Sorry Carolyn, it is not a single transgender child causing the chaos, it is a group of ignorant parents that will do that, whether the child is within a 90 mile radius of the school or district or not!!

I have a 9 year old CIS male grandson who told a friend at school that all he cared about if a Trans* boy was on campus was that the boy could play soccer like a boy!! The things that get home to parents!!

The emphasis on gender is his even without knowing the term "cis"!!

Guest KimberlyF

I wonder how much time the families had to adjust to the info and how things were worded?

When people feel forced, they're much more likely to push back.

The author, for example, is taking her time getting use to the AP style guide, but if she were called out for it, she may turn resentful?

Guest Carla_Davis

I agree with Vicky "it is a group of ignorant parents that will do that, whether the child is within a 90 mile radius of the school or district or not!! "

As a former teacher, I feel the best time to teach children about Acceptance and Tolerance is when they are young.

Children are not born bias or discriminatory, they learn it from their parents.

I feel that few of the children had any concern about this issue, it is all about narrow-minded and ignorant parents.

Hugs,

Carla

Guest KimberlyF

Children are not born bias or discriminatory, they learn it from their parents.

I feel that few of the children had any concern about this issue, it is all about narrow-minded and ignorant parents.

Hugs,

Carla

So then if any of our own children don't accept us, they must have of course learned that behavior from us, right?

From us, and their other parents, and after a certain age (that applies less when talking about elementary kids), their peers.

I for one work hard to make sure my kids DO NOT pick up such attitudes. And that was true before my trans issues came to the fore in my life. It is unfortunately not true of a whole lot of people. Taking your kids out of school because "you don't want to deal with" one kid who maybe goes to their school socially transitioning is idiotic overreaction.

Any inappropriate behavior on the part of the transitioned child would, presumably, be handled just like inappropriate behavior by any OTHER child would be. It isn't a crisis. It's ridiculous to have such a brouhaha over ONE child.

Guest LizMarie

You can raise your children one way but when they become adults they can go somewhere else entirely. If you've done the best you can, then the fault isn't yours.

I raised my children to be tolerant but my eldest son married into a right wing religious family. He began dating this girl seriously in high school and it didn't seem to affect him then. He chose to go to the same college as her, a private small Christian college and for the first few years he was still very tolerant of GLBT people. But by his senior year even his friends were noticing changes in him. After he finished school and was married, those changes became more and more visible, more and more reactionary, and less and less tolerant of differences in others.

I know that I didn't raise him that way but that's how he is as an adult so I just have to accept that, including that he refuses to allow me to see my grandchildren by him.

There are places other than the home where intolerance can be learned but it seems most often that the home environment gives the greatest effect, at least when they are young. Their later experiences may change them yet again but once they are adults, there's little we can do but try to gently guide, and that assumes they will even respect or listen to us, which my son clearly does neither.

Guest Jenn348

Sorry Carolyn, it is not a single transgender child causing the chaos, it is a group of ignorant parents that will do that, whether the child is within a 90 mile radius of the school or district or not!!

I have a 9 year old CIS male grandson who told a friend at school that all he cared about if a Trans* boy was on campus was that the boy could play soccer like a boy!! The things that get home to parents!!

The emphasis on gender is his even without knowing the term "cis"!!

Definitely. Kids are fine with trans issues until some idiot they trust tells them it's not OK to be transgender.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 120 Guests (See full list)

• AmandaJoy
    • Adrianna Danielle
    • SamC
    • MirandaB
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

AmandaJoy
    Newest Member
    AmandaJoy

1. Angel Jamie
      Angel Jamie
      (24 years old)
    2. CallMeKeira
      CallMeKeira
      (31 years old)
    3. CamtheMan
      CamtheMan
    4. Jona
      Jona
      (22 years old)
    5. jpek
      jpek
    • KathyLauren
      Hi, Amanda.  Your story sounds quite familiar, though my pesky body part didn't need the attention of a urologist.  You are in good company here!
    • KathyLauren
      Oops.  Sorry, @AmandaJoy, I see you have already posted an introduction. 
    • KathyLauren
      Hi, @AmandaJoy.  Welcome to Trans Pulse.  Be sure to check out the various forums and join in any threads that interest you.  We'd love to read all about you in the Introductions forum.   -----   I started programming in Dartmouth Basic in high school back in the early 1970s.  I did my degree in Computer Science.  After a brief stint in the "government flying club" (RCAF), I worked as a programmer-analyst and systems analyst for about 25 years.    I am retired now, but I still enjoy programming.  I write a lot of the code for my astrophotography observatory.    
    • Sol
      WOW HAS IT BEEN A WHILE SINCE I'VE UPDATED!!! Welp, I'm updating now, and it's been a lot of changes.  1. My mom is starting to come around a little (I think). She does refer to me more as her child now, and even offered to help me cut my hair so I think we're making a little progress. I'm still planning on going on T later and I'm gonna start saving up to buy trans tape (I can't wear binders because I have GERD), so hopefully the progress stays. My dad, sibling, friends, and my paternal grandparents have all been super supportive and I'm really lucky for that. My sibling also goes out of their way to introduce me as their brother and it makes me so happy :D 2. I've been socializing a lot more! Mostly on Discord, but I've made some new friends and I'm really happy about that!  3. I'm on birth control! I still need to go to the gyno but my GP got me on the depo shot and it's been working for me so far! My dysphoria has gone through a lot of ups and downs, especially around periods, but that source is pretty much gone now and I feel way better. I do have more dysphoria centered around my chest now but that's pretty easily fixed with baggy shirts most of the time.  4. I know 100% now that I'm hoping for a uterine ablation (cauterizing the uterine tissue so it doesn't grow) at some point in the future and it's likely something I'll have to save up for but from my research it's a lot less invasive and safer than a hysterectomy so I definitely recommend it if people are able to access it. I also know that after that, I want to save up for a reduction to combat the chest dysphoria, and I still like having it sometimes so I'll keep a bit of it (I'm shooting for an A cup, I'm a C cup currently).  5. I've been writing more and I've even got some ideas for art projects! I also got an Archive of Our Own account where I post my finished writing, and I'm starting a book project at my mom's urging (she said she wanted that as her Christmas present so I'm gonna try, might not get it done this year though). I haven't gotten to write much lately but I'm hoping to change that this month.  And finally, 6. I'm gonna be a college junior and I have a career path to pursue! I'm gonna be an archivist, hopefully working for a museum (not too specific on where, I just like museums).  So yeah, a lot of stuff has happened and it's been pretty good! 
    • AmandaJoy
      Hi Thea!   Professional coder since ‘90, hobbyist since ‘83. C/C++, C#, Java, Ruby, Python, Ada, COBOL, Fortran, various flavors of BASIC. Love C, but it’s mostly been about Python recently.
    • Ivy
      Welcome Amanda
    • Ivy
    • Ivy
      Welcome Justine
    • Cynthia Slowan
      Welcome Amanda!! 💗 Cynthia 
    • Vidanjali
      Hello & welcome, Ash!
    • Timber Wolf
      Hi Amanda, Welcome to Transpulse. I'm glad you're here.   Lots of love and a big welcome hug,, Timber Wolf 🐾
    • Thea
      Do we have any programmers in the house?! I'm a computer hobbyist. I mainly write code in C and javascript. 
    • Timi
      Hi Amanda! Thank you for sharing.    -Timi
    • KathyLauren
      Around here, a culturally-appropriate gender-neutral form of address is either "dear" or "hun".  It tends to be mostly women who use those, though I did have a man address me as "dear" in a store today.    It could be startling for a come-ffrom-away to hear themselves being addressed that way, but, locally, it is considered a friendly, not particularly creepy, gender-neutral way to address someone.
    • Lydia_R
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.