• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

CA Republican Convention Wrestles With TG Issues

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

Support for TG anti-discrimination legislation, and a split vote concerning opposition to the student athletes right bill. The Republican Party, nearly an endangered species in California, is taking a more reasonable approach to our issues. :thumbsup:

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2013/10/07/2740571/california-republican-party-endorses-anti-transgender-discrimination/

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

I noticed the article did hit the point that the proponents of the AB1266 repeal are questionably on legal ground. My own research on the CRI is that there are two organizations with that name, one is a non-qualified corporation doing business in California which due to some earlier work by a member of the playground, years before joining here, has no ability to defend itself if someone asks to have the petition drive stopped by a court order. Sloppy!!!

Guest LizMarie

I'm not sure I read that the same way, Carolyn. The article doesn't say they endorse legislation making anti-transgender discrimination illegal. The article says they endorsed anti-transgender discrimination - in other words they want the right to discriminate against trans people. I read it several times and can only come to that conclusion, especially when I see other articles like this:

http://www.frontiersla.com/frontiers-blog/2013/10/07/calif-republican-party-endorses-repeal-of-trans-student-law

What am I missing? Or did I get it right?

• Admin

You got it right Liz, they are for trans* discrimination at this point in time, but it is early in the game for the California scene and could change when Perry leaves the state lines.

Carolyn is right that at the minutes Republicans are feeling and looking like an endangered species here is good old CA at least as far as holding the party line with the national party. Neither of the article here get that across per se, but they do not have any but the smallest remaining areas of the state being a "sure thing".