• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hi I'm ____ and I am an addict

Guest Thin Mike

Guest Thin Mike

Hi. I'm kind of between names, using Mike as a placeholder until I decide. I've known I'm male for about as long as I can remember, and I've used drugs on and off since puberty, until I started going to NA meetings about two months ago. I came out as trans in the meetings because I felt safe, but I often regret that decision. I'm trying to find a therapist to help me with dysphoria and possibly additional mental health issues, but I'm having trouble weighing the costs and benefits of speaking with somebody less expensive and local who does not specialize vs relying on family or potentially NA friends to speak with somebody who specializes. I'm in my early twenties, not going to school, not working, living in a community coop house (not a sober living house or the like). I came out for the first time last fall, if when I was very young doesn't count. I'm here looking for some help and support, ideally from another transguy in recovery from drug addiction. I'm hoping to chat in the meeting on here this week, though I sometimes get paranoid about the Internet or texting or talking on the phone or talking in person.

I'm glad to virtually be here. I feel very nervous around people but hopefully I'll feel better in time, effort, money, open-minded honest willingness, practise, and I look forward to being able to give back to the addict and the trans* community, and help show 'mainstream society' we're not necessarily terminally unique.

I'm hungry, and since I'm not using or on a hunger strike, I'm going to breakfast.

Thanks everybody who's already posted on here.

With that, I [worry enough about whether I] pass.

Guest ~Brenda~

Hey Mike,

Everything is going to be OK....OK? There is no reason to justify yourself with us. You are cool.

Simply put, you belong here with us and you are very welcome to be here.

Laura's chat has a dynamic of realtime talk, discussion and safety.

One of the most important things about Laura's chat and forums is support in the context of safety.

You are safe here.

Love and welcome

Brenda

• Admin

HI and welcome Mike. I'm Vicky and I am an alcoholic and addict who just recently had a 5 year birthday.

We do have a group of us here who speak the language of addiction and recovery, and over in Chat on Sunday nights, we have a Trans* AA/NA meeting at 9:00PM Eastern US time. We do get some of the guys in with us from time to time, but us girls love it when a good looking guy drops in and stays for a bit because it does help focus on the trans issues that are community wide. You do have to register separately for the chat, but you can use your same screen ID and password there. We have been having about 5 of us there regularly and we take drop ins or shoo ins when a chat crisis mod thinks our meeting could do someone some good.

There are a bunch of other Trans* men around here on the forums and the FtM topics do get some action that you will enjoy. I don't know of any who are too open or active about addiction issues here, but they are friendly and helpful as only "men" can be so you will feel safe and at home with them. Hopefully a couple of the other Mods here who admit to being some sort of addict will be around in a bit and introduce themselves. When you have 5 posts in here, you can use the PM feature, and when or if you find yourself in trouble or just on edge, feel free to PM us and we will try and get with you. Also with a chat registration, you can go to a crisis mod, because a couple of them are also in recovery and can work with you a little faster than we can here on the forums.

Good to have you aboard, you will not regret coming here, unless you do not come here when you need us. Why don't you post another more general intro over in the Introductions Forum where the other guys will see you quicker, and that will get your count up to use PM and get your profile updated. Just saying high to the folks that answer this will help that too.

PS -- The chat is in the Substance Abuse AA/NA chat room (yipes)

Edited by VickySGV
PS inlieu of new message