• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Would You Dress Up As Opposite Gender?

Guest Fooly

Hi people I admit that I'm mostly lurking around here from now and then and hardly ever post anything at all. But I had this thought once and out of curiousity I wanted to ask what you guys what you would do!

Lets say that for example, you are in school and your class decides that in your schoolplay all boys and girls are going to play the opposite gender in the story (a guy plays the princess and a girl plays the prince etc etc (and yeah I know its very common in manga and stuff lol but nvm that)). Would you then dress up as a girl (wear dress or whatever) and play a female role in the story? <--and the opposite for MtFs

I would.. but how about you? What if the play were to get very stereotypical and you had to wear GIANT PUFFY DRESS WITH YOUR FACE (THAT CANT EVEN BE SEEN AS A FACE ANYMORE DUE TO THE OVERDOSE OF MASCARA AND LIPSTICK) DROWNING BENEATH THAT PINK FLOWER HAT? Sorry for caps, but would it make you feel too uncomfortable to do it?

Guest Kelly Ann

Fooly...DUUuuuuude...you HAVE to lighten up on the caffeenine LOL...and that means chocolate and aspirin...and a lot of other stuff. :P It's only trappings so why not...do I get to smear vaseline and coffee grounds to look like a beard on my face?...I was Merlin once upon a time...the film is almost painful...there will be NO academy award for that, thankfully...breathing easier now...Kelly Ann

My school has a dance called Dragfest every year where the boys dress up like girls and the girls dress up like boys. Last year I went in a poofy blue dress and heels, but avoided any sort of makeup. It was the first time I had worn a dress since middle school. It was pretty fun, but I was glad to be able to change back into my regular clothes again afterwards. I'll be going in a dress again this year, and maybe I'll brave the makeup. I'm not sure. But all the other boys do it, so why not? :D

Did it in H.S. back in the day. All the other guys thought it was "goofy."

Me I was in seventh heaven and breathing hard. But pretended it was all in fun whilst in the chorus line. Me, I hated to change out of those skirts and cheerleader sweaters. Darn it, then we all went out for Ice Cream and Sodas, and I wanted to be in that cute little skirt, but alas back to khakis and crew necks.

Sound like Archie and Jug head, well that's the age and society I grew up with..... B) MIA. Johnson/Nixon and all that Jazz. Sigh

Guest Little Sara
Hi people I admit that I'm mostly lurking around here from now and then and hardly ever post anything at all. But I had this thought once and out of curiousity I wanted to ask what you guys what you would do!

Lets say that for example, you are in school and your class decides that in your schoolplay all boys and girls are going to play the opposite gender in the story (a guy plays the princess and a girl plays the prince etc etc (and yeah I know its very common in manga and stuff lol but nvm that)). Would you then dress up as a girl (wear dress or whatever) and play a female role in the story? <--and the opposite for MtFs

I would.. but how about you? What if the play were to get very stereotypical and you had to wear GIANT PUFFY DRESS WITH YOUR FACE (THAT CANT EVEN BE SEEN AS A FACE ANYMORE DUE TO THE OVERDOSE OF MASCARA AND LIPSTICK) DROWNING BENEATH THAT PINK FLOWER HAT? Sorry for caps, but would it make you feel too uncomfortable to do it?

Nah, would not do it.

The pain of rejection, and fear associated to it, is very tied to being perceived as male. I don't want it to happen, and I'm very glad to pass without trying (no make-up, bed hair, jeans, t-shirt).

I would dress up as a girl only, even very frilly, but probably not in front of a large public to perform in front (social anxiety). A small group of friends in the middle of (a crowded) downtown is fine, as I wouldn't be alone. Friends and people 'doing a play with you' is not the same to me. One is chosen, the other is circumstantial.

Guest CharlieRose

Blegh, no. It makes me feel stupid, wearing girl's clothes. I don't like it at all. I haven't fully been able to grasp a complete male identity yet, though, so that might have something to do with it. (By that I mean, I still get called she on a daily basis; I'm not male enough for dressing to really be drag, it'd more be like "She's actually dressing like a girl, for once!")

Guest OneOutOfnOne

I am currently in a production of Princess Ida by Gilbert and Sullivan. It's the story of a princess who has renounced all men and refuses to marry the prince she has been promised to since the age of one. The prince and his two friends sneak into Castle Adamant, the all-girls college which the princess established, dressing as women in order to gain access.

Well. Guess who gets to play Florian, one of the prince's friends. Indeed, I have been granted the opportunity to appear on stage and sing in a dress, albeit for a baritone role. Also, the character isn't very good at acting feminine. I've had mixed feelings about the whole thing, because the play does use males failing to pass as females as a source of humour. But G&S are over a century old - it's like reading old racist American literature, which in its time was perfectly acceptable. It's a good show for reasons that have nothing to do with its use of cross-dressing as a plot device, and actually supports gender equality.

I noticed that the FTms are the ones who wouldn't do it - but if you were to go on stage as male?

That;s they way I read the question, would you play the role of the gender opposite to your perseved gender?

Yes, in a heartbeat! In Junior High School I wanted to play Charlie's Aunt in that play, but at the time I was kind of small and would have passed too easily for the broad comedy of the play - like everything else in life, the role went to the captain of the football team/president of the student body/most popular. prom king who dated the head cheerleader, like he needed anymore boost to his massive ego. (it also ensured a full house.) :angry:

Sorry,

Sally

Guest Little Sara
I noticed that the FTms are the ones who wouldn't do it - but if you were to go on stage as male?

That;s they way I read the question, would you play the role of the gender opposite to your perseved gender?

Yes, in a heartbeat! In Junior High School I wanted to play Charlie's Aunt in that play, but at the time I was kind of small and would have passed too easily for the broad comedy of the play - like everything else in life, the role went to the captain of the football team/president of the student body/most popular. prom king who dated the head cheerleader, like he needed anymore boost to his massive ego. (it also ensured a full house.) :angry:

Sorry,

Sally

Changes a lot if you've already transitioned. The opposite of my perceived gender would be the one I've been seen as for 20 years (male), so been there done that, don't want to do it again. As a girl is easy enough though.

Guest Donna Jean

Oh, YES!...

That would be FUN!......................

Heck, like Lizzy says...." They may see that I really love this".... and you'd get to do it all the time....lol

HUGS

Donna Jean

Once I no longer have to do so I plan on never ever wearing a dress again. However, I'm in highschool. I'm in the women's chorale.

We had chorus picture day yesterday. I was forced into a dress. >_<

And I had no bra, since I only ever wear my binder now. It was awful.

However, I changed back to my normal clothes in the choir room (Where everyone else was, didn't change there because I was wearing boxers and my binder and was afraid) and no one said anything, even if I got some weird looks. Though not as many as when I walked down the hall to the bathroom carrying this dress. -_-

*endrant*

Sooo not looking forward to concerts.

Anyways, no. I won't be doing this once I have a choice. XD

I would be perfectly fine with wearing a dress so long as people were in on the fact that I was cross dressing. Dresses only make me feel even more masculine (which is why they're so completely uncomfortable when I'm supposed to be seen as a girl), so as long as people are in on it I'd view it as a joke and enjoy it. And crazy makeup would be fine with me too. It's when I'm supposed to be wearing eiher of these seriously as a girl that I can't stand it.

Guest Christy.dancer

Would I???? Heck, I joined the Drama Club for exactly that opportunity! Even if I wasn't t/g, the gay male inside me would draw me to the opportunity like a bug to a bright, neon "open for business" sign.

I'm petitioning our drama club to do "7 Brides for 7 Brothers".

When I've gone to drag events, I did not wear a dress or other feminine clothing. I would have felt too uncomfortable, was too afraid that my hips would look feminine, and take gender way too seriously for that. It seems disrespectful of my own identity and of those of MTF crossdressers and transsexuals to do something like that. However, if EVERY other guy did it, I would feel pressured to the same, even if it meant frilly dresses and make-up. I'd probably hate every minute, but I'd do it.

Guest Little Sara
When I've gone to drag events, I did not wear a dress or other feminine clothing. I would have felt too uncomfortable, was too afraid that my hips would look feminine, and take gender way too seriously for that. It seems disrespectful of my own identity and of those of MTF crossdressers and transsexuals to do something like that. However, if EVERY other guy did it, I would feel pressured to the same, even if it meant frilly dresses and make-up. I'd probably hate every minute, but I'd do it.

If everyone else did it, I still wouldn't. To hell with 'em. I'm not a sheep, and proud of it too. I grew my hair to 36 inches long (and kept loose 98% of the time) while presenting as a guy, and thought nothing of it.

Guest Jackson

Eh, I'd do it.

Maybe it's just because I've cross-dressed for so long before I even realized I was TG (for my reenacting). I wouldn't enjoy being in a dress. That's for certain sure. But I'd do it. Maybe I'm just so apathetic now that it doesn't matter to me.

Guest Alexander

I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm a guy, and if guys were all wearing dresses...then I'd be wearing a dress. I don't object to feminine clothes, I object to being female.

Guest Sydney_W

Y'know, I've actually been thinking about something like this. I might be open to occasional crossdressing after I've transitioned. Sure, I hate wearing women's clothes now, because like Alexander said, it's the "being female" that I have a problem with. I used to like wearing women's stuff. Applying makeup is kinda fun 'cause it's like painting. (Who knows, maybe I'll end up putting it on other people as a job someday.) But for me it's like the fun of putting on a Halloween costume. I wouldn't want to be perceived as female, I'd rather look like a guy goofing around in drag. Maybe not on a stage. Maybe for a themed party or something.

Then there's this guy, an FTM drag queen. They talk about that at about 5:30 in, but the whole interview is interesting. He has a good way of describing the difference between an effeminate, gay male in drag and a woman. And I agree with what they said: if he has fun doing it, why not?