• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I Think I'm Doing It Wrong...

Guest Zack L

Guest Zack L

Okay. I have several questions that have been raised during the last hour and a half or so. I got my STP today and rushed to the shower to try it out. After a few failed attempts I finally managed to get the pee through the tubing and was super excited! But it seems really...low. And when I put on my boxers I can't use the little flappy thing it's supposed to go out of, cause it's too high. So either I'm wearing my boxers wrong or I'm doing something with the STP wrong. I tried adjusting my boxers but they have to be lower than like...low rise skinny girl pants for it to work. Not gonna happen. I have a feeling it's the STP. Which brings me to question number two, which is slightly awkward. Or more awkward than the rest of this post. XD;; How far back is the little spoon supposed to go? It seems like it's too far back, but I wasn't getting the pee in if it was farther up. Where it is now it's irritating both the front and back of...my clit? I guess? I think so, never really examined myself or any anatomy pictures. And now onto the next one, the little sup thinger is supposed to come out of that area when I'm not peeing...right? If not I don't see how I'd be able to do much beyond walking very carefully. XD And also...won't it look weird if I'm like manuevering it after I get it down more, when using the urinals? I can't say for SURE, but I get the feeling bioguys don't adjust like that. XD

I'm off to mess with it more now. XD

Guest Adam_Mazur

Poor Zack that sounds super complicated and very hard to use. I hope in a lot of training it will help you out a lot. Practice makes Perfect Bro. I still have to get over the fear of going to the bathroom in public it still wigs me out I am afraid to hit the womens room cause they will definately call me a dude and if I go to the dudes room I am afraid they will notice me as a girl.

Guest StrandedOutThere

I had a lot of the same questions/issues when I got my STP. Here's what I've learned:

1. With regard to "positioning": the place that works for me does feel like it's further back than it should be. The thing to remember is that the urethra is BEHIND your junk, not integrated into the junk the way a bioguy would have it. It's kind of in between the junk and the other thing. If you check out the DJ Knows ****s website, he has a helpful diagram. BTW, I've never met him in person, but I suspect that DJ is pure awesome. He seems to have a great sense of humor. I bought my first STP from him and I plan to be a repeat customer.

2. I still haven't decided where to keep the receptacle when I'm not using it. I think some people leave it in the "ready" position. That doesn't work for me. I tuck it up and out of the way, kind of next to the packer. I always use a stall in the bathroom. I don't think I can position it fast enough to not look funny using a urinal.

3. Unless you wear a harness of some kind, it isn't going to work in boxers. I haven't had much luck with boxer briefs either. Tighty whiteys are the only underwear that really hold it where it needs to be. This may sound weird, but check out some Calvin Klein underwear ads. That'll give you a good idea where stuff's supposed to hang. I wear my STP in the cup pouch of an athletic supporter. That keeps it where it needs to be and I don't have to worry about losing it out the leg of my pants. However, I have to fiddle about a good deal to get things set up for bathroom time (hence the need for a stall).

4. Practice makes perfect. You have to practice, practice, practice. At first just stick to the shower. Then try it sans clothing. When you are good with that, try it dressed. Expect to have "accidents". I did. It's really hard to get the position and seal just right so that it doesn't leak. Even now, I hold my breath a little when I first start going. You may find that STP's aren't for you. I think a lot of guys give up too soon. For me, I am a clean freak. I cannot use a men's restroom unless I can stand.

If the receptacle end on your STP just isn't working (one size does NOT fit all here), you might try other options. Where'd you order your STP from? (oh...I've ended a sentence with a preposition) They seem to use different types of receptacles. For me, the medicine spoon end seems to work best. You might try modding your STP with a turkey baster end. Those are softer. With my STP, it would be easy to change the receptacle part.

Guest StrandedOutThere

Oh yeah, I almost forgot this. My bioguy friends say no one uses the hole in their underwear. They just hoist stuff over the top. I don't know if this is universal or not.

hmm....well i've only just figured this out myself, but i must say that i've gotten it down to quite an art :lol:

now, i'm not so good with explaining the "technical" stuff.....so i'll just add that it is in fact possible to use a urinal without looking too strange...it helps quite a bit if they have those dividers also. if you practice enough, you can get to a point were you don't need to look down to situate the receptacle, so you can basically stick your hands down there and do all that without looking too strange....it'll just look like you're "fishing it out"......although you've got to position it just right.....it still freaks me out every time i start to go when i'm in public.

and with keeping it positioned in your pants, if you have briefs (easier to keep it in one place) just situate the testicles kind of low against your pubic area....which should be fairly easy if they have a flat back.....and tuck the shaft in whichever direction you want, keeping the receptacle kind of tucked up to the side...if that makes sense....

the one thing that i do know for sure is that it can stay in place in briefs even with rigorous activity.............i took a class once that involved wrestling......in just gym shorts (nothing vaguely supportive) ...and it managed to stay where it should.

hope that helped a little.

Drew

oh, and if that wasn't terribly clear feel free to ask me to clarify when i'm more awake.....it's been a long day..

Guest Laura1977

Having been a bio guy all my life, and having been around other more manly bio guys, two things I'd like to add. Yes, almost every guy I know goes over the top of the underwear rather than through the window, and yes, most of them "adjust" themselves. In mixed company, too, I might add.

Guest MrAwesome

Well, I'd suggest FIXING your UNDERWEAR!!! *yes, sounds stupid rite? lol just make the flap longer... OR switch to briefs, which I'm working on rigging up so that it's easier to wear my STP in them when I get it...

I'm having a similar problem with my STP. I can't really get it to work very well. I don't wear whitey tighties (I am 18 years old :P), but I can't make myself a godamn harness. I am not good at any kind of handiwork or craftsmanship. So usually when I pack (which I would LIKE to be always, but I can't afford to buy a whole new assortment of underwear), I wear boxer briefs (only have about 3 pairs).

Here's the awkward part that I have not heard discussed: the thing makes it look like I've got a boner, for Christ's sake. It pokes out and really looks like an male function. If I take the tubing out, it'll hang just fine, like a real cocknballs. But seriously, with the tube it's like I've got a four inch hardon. It's awkward in jeans (I'm always having to step into the men's room and...er, reposition), and I can't do it at all in work slacks. There's a huge bulge!

Guest Zack L

I made a discovery!

My tubing leaks. I pulled it out of the packer to test, and the part where the medicine spon meets the tubing is dripping when I run water through it. So I used this glue I use for my cosplay stuff to try and seal it. Hopefully it'll work. But I also think I'm overflowing it, cause the leak was faster than the drops I was having with the water. Gonna have to continue tweaking, but if worse comes to worse I can make a new tubing system. I think I could do it. =3

And as a note. I wear it in my boxers, but I have a harness. I learned the hard way that if you leak, you WILL get the harness wet. XD I now don't even wear that when working on it. XD

Cal, I had a similar issue at first. It went away when I stopped having the medicine spoon part positioned all the time. If you tuck it up it forces the packer to face more down and it's not an issue.

All in all I'm not sure I'm happy I bought it from where I did. Once I have another to compare it to I'll make a more firm choice, but right now I don't think I'll buy from them again, think I'll use DJ.

Guest Crossroads

I just tried this for the first time yesterday, and my partner, Angie, had to give me an anatomy lesson. I had no idea, like you, where it came from. (I sound like a 5 year old) So, after that, she helped me position it. you're right, it did seem far back! But anyway, she made it out of a medicine dropper (which has that pumpy thing at the end that actually helped with the "end game", as you called it Ainsley), and then two short lengths of tubing, one wider and one shorter. I spent about $3 on that.

It works fine, except you really can't wear it anywhere. I feel this is true with most of the STPs out there. So she's making a wider and more comfy packer/STP for me. It's pretty cool. And only cost us around $5 for everything to make one. We'll see how it goes. The last one she made I didn't even get to try out.

Guest StrandedOutThere

Let's talk more about STP! ...cause it's fun to think of ways to say stuff without actually saying it.

Guys, I am all about the STP packer. Seriously. I am now like some kind of STP freak. Mine is from DJ and doesn't have that "happy" look that ya'll are complaining about. Now, I did have to get the little guy. I think the bigger fella would seriously be too much bulge for a dude who is 5'6". Anyway, me and my STP packer are BFF.

I'm too chicken to wear my packer flying free in my underwear. I wear boxer briefs, so I don't know if it would stay anyway. What I'm doing, which may or may not work in the hot summer, is stuffing him into the cup pouch in an Under Armour athletic supporter. It works great. The only thing is that you have to fish him out and position him for bathroom 'bidness. As long as you are in a stall, it's all good. I don't think that'd work too well for a urinal. I'm going to work on some mods that will let me solve that problem.

Anyway, I have to say that mastering the STP has been the bestest most awesome thing I have ever done (pretty much). I'm free!! I have been home visiting my family. Me and the STP are lighting up the town. Today I went to the men's room at a restaurant. It was so awesome not to have to sit.

Oh, and this was so awesome... I went out to the beach with my friend. We were walking around and checking out this old Revolutionary War fort that's out there. There were like cannons and stuff. Anyway, we'd both had like 3 cups of coffee and needed to "go". Well, she was out of luck, but I just strolled down to the end of the beach and went all over the rocks. That had to be the most liberating and fun thing I have ever done in my life. It's weird but so true. My friend was all like "I hate you". I feel like the part of The Wizard of Oz where the movie starts to be in color. :)

Oh, and that "end game"....it worked out fine. I like to wash it out when I'm done, but a nice, hearty shake does suffice.

When we were down on the beach we saw where someone had written "Jesus loves you!!" in giant letters in the sand. My friend added "if you're trans" to the end of it and we too pictures. I'll have to post them if they come out okay. It was dark, so we don't know if it'll show up.

Guest Evan_J

I love this forum.

Its the only place in the world I can listen about "pee" and be "comfortable" lol. (**makes notes in case he ever gets an stp, ....end game.....spoon.....soft pumpy end.....tubing.....mmhmm "check")

Guest Cody_T

I don't have to worry about situating it because I just have one made solely from a medicine spoon that cost me about two dollars and fifteen minutes with a steak knife (my brother took my pocket knife, yet again. Loser). I just keep it in my pocket and use a stall. Usually in the womens' room too, cause I can't get away with the guys' around the people I know :P.

DJ's picture would have been sooo useful. The day I spent trying to figure out where the heck it came from was probably one of the worst days of my life. And now I have "vagina" on the drop down list for my image searches :P. Don't worry, I figured it out eventually. But seriously, we need like an anatomy lesson for transguys to use the bathroom. Ooh, gross story! So in fifth grade we had "family life" and they told us that some girls try to put the tampon in their urethra... so in case anyone was feeling bad about their lack of knowledge (like I was, seeing as I want to be a doctor and all..), girls have totally beat us there!

Oh and has anyone else noticed that it's harder to start peeing while standing up? I feel like a total idiot when I go to the bathroom, cause when I was sitting down I had to go like crazy and then at the toilet I just sort of stand there... and wait... and wait...

and then I still can't remember to raise the seat :P

I'm so much more understanding of my brother's inability to keep his pee off of the seat now. 9.999999 times out of 10 I forget to raise the seat, and I'm even sympathetic to the plight of people who have to use it after me.

Guest StrandedOutThere
Ooh, gross story! So in fifth grade we had "family life" and they told us that some girls try to put the tampon in their urethra... so in case anyone was feeling bad about their lack of knowledge (like I was, seeing as I want to be a doctor and all..), girls have totally beat us there!

OUCH!!

Oh and has anyone else noticed that it's harder to start peeing while standing up? I feel like a total idiot when I go to the bathroom, cause when I was sitting down I had to go like crazy and then at the toilet I just sort of stand there... and wait... and wait...

and then I still can't remember to raise the seat :P

Yeah, it takes me a little longer to start going while standing. I just figure it's anxiety, a holdover from my less skilled days when my results weren't as consistent. The first time I went in the men's room, it took forever to start (and I had go to really bad or else I'd have waited until I got home). Not to be a dork or anything, but there is this scientific paper (Middlemist, Knowles, & Matter, 1976). Basically it says that the onset of micturation is delayed when you are stressed. Here's a link to the paper: Middlemist, Knowles, & Matter, 1976

The Middlemist et al. study is one of those studies people aren't allowed to do anymore. It's really funny when you think about it. FYI, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology is one of the top journals in social psychology. That article isn't a joke.

So.... don't feel bad if it takes you a bit to start going. It happens to everyone.

yeah, it can take longer to start going standing up. i think part of it could definitely be the anxiety that you're going to urine all over yourself, but also, standing to pee uses different muscles than sitting to pee does and it can take a while to get used to it. completely normal :)

Guest Zack L

I have trouble starting, but right now I think it's because I have to remember to only pee at half strength. Or else everything gets all covered in urine and it's gross. -_- So you know those fountains at Disney world in Epcot? Where the water shoots out, then stops, then starts, then stops...That's kinda like me peeing, only much less cool looking, and tons of kids aren't excited when the flow starts. XD;;

Guest Cody_T
I have trouble starting, but right now I think it's because I have to remember to only pee at half strength. Or else everything gets all covered in urine and it's gross. -_- So you know those fountains at Disney world in Epcot? Where the water shoots out, then stops, then starts, then stops...That's kinda like me peeing, only much less cool looking, and tons of kids aren't excited when the flow starts. XD;;

haha I love this analogy. It sounds so wrong

Poor Zack that sounds super complicated and very hard to use. I hope afraid to hit the womens room cause they will definately call me a dude and if I go to the dudes room I am afraid they will notice me as a girl.

I jsut have to tell you that I felt so good when I read your post because I feel the same way. I am new to this site and it feels so good to know I am really not alone. It does feel that way in this big huge world. I don't know wnyone like me but here I am one of many. Thanks.