• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Transgender Catholic

Guest Jazzz650

Guest Jazzz650

Hi everybody,

My name is Jaz I am 22 years old. I am a transsexual and also Roman Catholic. I frequent Confession and receive Holy Communion. I have very supportive friends. My parents are Eucharistic Ministers. My dad is 100% supportive. If it is God's Will, I will undergo SRS in 2015. This message is for all transsexual Catholics: you are precious in God's eyes!

• Admin

Welcome to the Playground, Jaz, and thank you for an uplifting and positive post. I hope you find here what you need, and look forward to hearing more from you.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

Welcome dear. I'm glad you have found acceptance in your church as well as your family life. Thank you for sharing and please remember that this is a wonderful place to offer help and to receive it as we need.

Hugs,

Charlize

• 1 year later...
Guest Razilee

As I understand the Church's teaching (CCC 2297, DS 3722) "amputations, mutilations and sterilizations ... are against the moral law." :unsure:

Raz

• 1 month later...
Guest Razilee

Re-reading my post I think I need to explain further. The Church has not yet specifically addressed just when it is a therapeutic necessity to surgically mutilate functioning body parts. The suicide rate before and after SRS a both very high, so it does seem highly questionable. I doubt that it would be God's perfect will, Jazzz650, though it might be His permissive will. So far I am noho (no hormones) and no SRS.

God bless you on your journey.

Love

Raz :wub:

Hi Jaz, and welcome! It's great to hear about another trans person integrating faith into their life...hmm, or a person of faith growing into their true self, rather. I think I like the latter better.

Personally, I had to shed some defective dogma in order to be a healthy, Christian, trans woman.

Love wins!

Hello Jaz and welcome to Laura's. I am a Christian and transgender. One of the greatest events in my life was when I came out to my faith comminity. I was accepted with open arms.

:thumbsup:

Guest Astrosmurf

Hi Jaz, that's so cool to hear! Thanks for sharing that. My own thinking on some things is still Catholic, but for myself I had to leave the organised side of it behind. I didn't know there was dogma about 'mutilation', as Razilee pointed out. Dogma only becomes set if things have happened consistently and universally amongst believers throughout history (Vincentian Cannon). But Church history is very diverse. It's worth remembering that St. Origen castrated himself, St. Jerome frequently cross-dressed, and there are quite a few medieval paintings depicting Christ as an actual hermaphrodite or with breasts! Those things are good points to bring up if any right-wing Catholic ever wants to get legalistic on you. Ultimately though, I agree with Tracey -- Love wins every time! It's really great you have so much support, anyway :)

• Admin

I am in a "small 'c' catholic" church where I have been wonderfully accepted and even had my Baptismal and Confirmation name and gender changed and blessed by my Bishop. I have none-the-less heard about the dogma that Razilee mentioned, and like the Leviticus and Deuteronomy passages used against LGBT people, those dogmas refer to priests and ordination specifically. My grand children are being raised in the "capital 'C' Catholic" church and when I go to their special moments in the liturgy, I have not had a problem with acceptance, other than at actual communion. I think the day will come when even the top leaders will come around. So good to have you here.