• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Men's Hair

Guest oddly-charming

Guest oddly-charming

Hello,

Hope this goes here. I was wondering what's the best haircut to pass as a male. I have a very gender neutral face, but obviously it's a bit rounder than I would like. I've also always dreamt of getting my head buzzed into a short fade, like for example a clipper number 2 on the sides to a number 4 on top. Would this kind of hair style masculate my features and help me pass easier? If so, how?

Right now I've stuck with a more subtly male haircut, with a 4 on the sides and back blending up into a 1-to -2 inch messy spiky thing on top. I'm thinking this hair style, while masculine, is still too round to really make my features pop as male.

I don't know, thoughts?

Jacob

• Forum Moderator

It's funny but I am thinking in the oposite direction at the moment as it is one thing that seems to make a big difference but I have not bottomed what would be the best style for me. My style at the moment seems too square. I am perhaps looking to taper things a little. Take the sharp edges off anyway. With that in mind I am looking at styles on the internet.

I would suggest that you look around and see what men locally to you have hair like, particularly with your face shape. Obviously some styles are more obviously male but I have noticed that some women can have their hair in very male styles but still look very female. Obviously more to things than hair!

Sorry I cannot help more but as I said, it is on my mind at the moment.

Good luck

Tracy x

• Forum Moderator

Jacob it really depends on your individual face and bone structure. The best way is to ask your barber or stylist. When I was transitioning I came out to several stylists- all were accepting though my particular hair growth pattern and texture made getting the style and cut really difficult. Stylists have heard everything -as much as a Dr sometimes-and I have found them non-judgmental as a rule. A couple were even thrilled to meet a transsexual. My haircut challenges were about finding how to get my hair to adapt to a male cut rather than a problem with stylists. I would recommend as long as you are in the process of transitioning that you not go with a more radical or unusual style because anything that catches the eye will then cause people to look more carefully at all of you and judge in ways they otherwise would not.

At least in this area masculine lesbians wear very short hair but their styles are subtly different -not all really short cuts are masculine. Most hair cut places have men's style books too and you can go through and find one near what you like and discuss it with the stylist or barber . They will usually know what will look best

Johnny

Hey, here's my good two cents on hair (and oh how I'm a guy in love with hair).

I dunno what you're doing now or how your hair is currently but if its pretty long, I suggest gradually getting shorter. Less shock for you, less shock for others. Recently cut two feet off my lovely locks and already itching for shorter. So, I started looking at magazines and models and whatnot. Find a few pics of guys with similar bone structure to you first, then pick the style that best strikes your fancy, after that then go for it. Buuuuut, like Jay said, if you're still transitioning maybe go for something alittle more gender neutral. Luckily, its VERY fashionable for women to have many different kinds of male cuts these days. Thanks, hipsters! Haha

Good luck with your hair!

Like Rashaad, I had a TON of hair (nearly a yard) whacked off about four years ago, and never looked back. Every time I got a trim, I wanted it shorter and shorter. And I wasn't even out as trans yet. ;) When I came out to my wonderful "hair guy" last month, he was fantastic. I asked him if he would cut my hair any differently now that he knows I'm male, and he said he wouldn't. But I think he subconsciously went even shorter on the sides--and I love it. It's nice and tight in the back and over my ears. Only thing shorter would be a buzz, and with my thick hair I'd probably look more like a Buddhist monk or a walking scrub brush than an FTM if I did that. Ha!

Bottom line, it's really up to you. Like Johnny said, folks who cut & style hair have pretty much heard it all, and tend to be an accepting bunch. So find a good stylist/barber (maybe ask around, or find out where the LGBTQ folks go) and tell 'em what you're after. Showing them pics of styles you like will help, too.

Cool thing about hair is it grows back if you don't like the cut, and you can try again with a different barber in a month or two. :) Good luck!

• 3 months later...
Guest OllieEiriksson

I have been fighting myself on this topic for a little while here because I think long hair can be nice on men if it is well kept. I have an idea of a more traditionally thought of men's hairstyle in mind also but I sort of think that keeping my hair long and wearing a nicely groomed beard might be alright. Do you think that it is really best policy to "not scare the natives" and go with a traditionally more male hairstyle that is short? Took me a long time to grow it out.

• Forum Moderator

Personally I think it all depends on you and your circumstances. I also like long hair on men and many of my clothes have a bit of a rocker vibe which would go well with long hair BUT the reality is that I couldn't pull it off as well I think because I'm a small guy and while I haven't been misgendered in a couple of years-except accidentally by old acquaintances-it could be a clue that caused people to have to look closer to determine gender. I also wore my hair long much of my life and I know it would make it harder for those closest to me not to slip more because I would look more like I once did.

My hair was one of my best features-naturally blond and about twice as thick as normal but silky and baby fine. I expected to miss it but in my case knew it had to go.I was wrong about missing it though I haven't it at all. Not once.

But ultimately it's up to you. And different areas and groups of people can be different. If long hair is more the norm where you live or among your peers then it is less likely to cause a problem. If it isn't then you have to decide what the potential consequences will be and make you decision based on how you'd feel about them and if it would be worth it to you.

Johnny

Guest OllieEiriksson

Well I ultimately decided that I wanted to cut my hair. I had over a foot cut off, and I now feel so much lighter and happier. Now that I think about it, I probably would not have been able to pull off this will longer hair. Looked too much like a girl.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 124 Guests (See full list)

• April Marie
    • Adrianna Danielle
    • Petra Jane
    • Justine76
    • Ivy