• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Travels With Charlize....a trans US journey

Charlize

Just read the entire thread Charlize. Having just flown back fron San Francisco I am in awe of the size of the west. It looks so arid in the Great Basin from above. You make me want to drive out there, too. Have a wonderful time!

Hugs

Michelle

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charlize

• Carolyn Marie

• gennee

• Michelle 2010

Wolf Creek can be fun in the winter. You should have seen it before it was improved. I am really glad you had a good time in Mesa Verde and wish we were with you for going up to Canyonlands.

Mia

• Forum Moderator

We went to Arches NP today. The views and colors continue to simply amaze me. You do need to drive this Michelle to get an idea of the scale and magnitude of the country. Unfortunately everything seems under pressure from oil and gas exploitation. I'm so glad the parks we have can protect some land. Moab Utah where we are tonight is under a great deal of pressure. Now we will follow the Colorado south. This journey is such a great adventure and oddly living as myself all across the country, without the comforts of home is so affirming somehow. Every campsite wants my picture ID and i simply feel like a kid handing it over.

Another long day but so worth the exhaustion.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest MostlySwell

I was going to suggest that you stop at arches while you're in the area. Natural Bridges is right around there, as well. I'm guessing you're planning on stopping by the Grand Canyon?

Sad to hear that there's so much pressure in the area for drilling. Fracking, I imagine.

Also, sounds like a joy to be well received.

It's been several years since I've been in that area. Your updates are jnspiring me to tak a trip there, myself.

I am a member of the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance which is the main group trying to keep things wild and not let mining in. They have done a great job but the mining companies keep trying to get the BLM to let them build roads and ruin much of the area.

Glad your having a good time. We usually stay at a campground just to the north of Arches that has good service.

Mia

• Forum Moderator

Mia this area is so beautiful. All it lacks is good wifi. This may or may not post depending on the mood of the camps wifi. Oh well we have been having a wonderful time. It is so beautiful. Yesterday Canyonlands and then north, west and south to bring us through Capital Reef National Parks. The land and geological features are like a sculpture garden of enormous proportions. A lovely Mexican dinner and then to sleep in our cramper. Got a dirty look at the ladies room but only because there is only one and there was a line outside just after sunset. Sorry but a girl has to go. An odd arrangement with two toilets right next to each other and one sink. Not the best for tis trans girl. We are going to keep heading south so they we can make our campsite on the south rim of the grand Canyon Friday night. Will stay in a motel tonight and maybe have better internet. Now to post this and hope it goes.

Hugs,

Charlize

I am so happy you are having a good time. You just can't describe with words or even in pictures the way this area looks. We have all seen movies or pictures but until you are surrounded by its beauty one just can't realize the full scale of the area. Thank you so much for sharing and I wish you both a save and wonderful journey.

Mia

Mia this area is so beautiful. All it lacks is good wifi. This may or may not post depending on the mood of the camps wifi. Oh well we have been having a wonderful time. It is so beautiful. Yesterday Canyonlands and then north, west and south to bring us through Capital Reef National Parks. The land and geological features are like a sculpture garden of enormous proportions. A lovely Mexican dinner and then to sleep in our cramper. Got a dirty look at the ladies room but only because there is only one and there was a line outside just after sunset. Sorry but a girl has to go. An odd arrangement with two toilets right next to each other and one sink. Not the best for tis trans girl. We are going to keep heading south so they we can make our campsite on the south rim of the grand Canyon Friday night. Will stay in a motel tonight and maybe have better internet. Now to post this and hope it goes.

Hugs,

Charlize

Back when I first joined Laura's it was 24k dialup. Satellite internet was considerably better, but had data limitations. I am now on a Motorola Canopy system with a regional ISP, so its much better now.

If you head on west via I-40, Kingman has pretty good internet access. Wish you the best on your trip!

Huggs,

Opal

• Forum Moderator

Today was pretty easy. We left camp on Rt 12 and turned down to Bryce Canyon. So much of it requires hiking and with my wife in a wheelchair it was a bit disappointing. We did get to sunrise point and went along the rim to sunset point. The rock formations are almost comical and the trails below were inviting. I'm not all that fit either having had two heart attacks so the better part of valor was to beat a retreat. We kept heading south and are now at a motel in Kanab Utah. A hot shower and a salad from subway was made even better by good internet and a chance to do my Skype AA meeting. I need that grounding and remembrance that while those beers that everyone else can drink on vacation will only cause me a return to hell. Saw a lot of cows and cowgirls and cowboys herding them into pens. The aspens and cotton woods were so beautiful as you looked down from the alpine meadows. Such a dramatic landscape. Tomorrow will be a night on the south rim of the Grand Canyon if all goes well.

Considering that this is our first vacation in 16 years it was worth the wait. Glad we're doing it while we can.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Admin

I've been to Utah twice and love it. I have photos of Bryce and Zion that hang on my walls. No more beautiful and majestic a place exists in the U.S., in my view. I'm glad you have a chance to see it, Charlize.

Safe travels.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest MostlySwell

I'm very much enjoying your travel journal, Charlize. It's been a long time since I've had the chance to be out that way. 16 years since a real vacay!? I'm glad for you that you're taking this trip. I'm completely off of alcohol due to an injury. Not that the reason matters, except I suppose, I don't have AA as a support around abstinence, per se. But, I get the need to remind oneself that those casual drinks that others take would have deleterious effects for me if I partook.

Anyway, enjoy the S rim. It'll knock your socks off. The Grand Canyon gives the words "awesome" and "magnificent" new meanings. Fortunately, there's no need for hiking in order to have views. Y'all can just sit at an overlook and experience what's in store.

Thanx for all the updates Charlize.

I'm happy to hear that you and yours are able to make this once in a lifetime trip.

Unfortunately not all places are able to be chair friendly.

However, as MostlySwell has mentioned, the South rim is viewable even from a chair.

Safe travels to both of you.

Huggs, :wub:

Joann

• Forum Moderator

Having breakfast in a new time zone at the Grand Canyon. No wifi mostly. We got a pass because of my wife's disability that will allow us to drive where only the tour busses can travel. It should make it possible to see more. Even so my first view after arriving by Navaho lands on rt 89alt and 64 made me cry. For once it wasn't the E just the sheer magnitude of what stretched out before me. Miss you guys and gals but i can't say it hasn't been worth it. One big check on the bucket list.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

This evening we watched the sunset at Yaki point. Simply better than any movie i've ever seen. It is more than this little mind can take in. English seems to be a second, third or perhaps 4th language here but all seem polite (for the most part). Exhaustion sets in simply from trying to comprehend. The canyon is only 7 million years old. (only) The rocks at the bottom are almost 2 billion. Here i am with my little gender issues. Time will certainly wash them away as well.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest April Kristie

Charlize, how great of you to thread your way west for us. Know what you are feeling, as this is a remarkable visual country. Made the same footprints as you two are a couple of times. Big fan of Bryce n Zion, and of course. GC. Not too much light pollution out there the night skies are really lit up with the cosmos. I feel very small just think thinking about it. Happy Trails!

Guest Clair Dufour

Part of what you feel is altitude. At 5000 feet there is 20% less oxygen and the UV rays are 20% stronger. It takes time to get use to it. Yes its a lot to take in. Out here most of us live in little islands of irrigated green often a hundred or more miles to the next island. Its hard to notice but people farm and ranch in those open spaces. Most of the BLM land is leased by ranchers. If you see some along the way don't be afraid to pull in and start a conversation. Most ranch women are touffer en nails and do more work than men and have kids to boot. Ain't much gender on a working ranch.

• Forum Moderator

Leaving the Grand Canyon after three glorious days. Next stop the glitter and noise of Las Vegas. I've been told that one has to see the glitter of the strip but for my part the stars in the clear air of this elevation with little light pollution is so much better. We'll see.

Funny one in the ladies yesterday. I went into the ladies room right after another woman sat myself down and had a pee. Unfortunately as a vegetarian who has been eating bean chili there were a few other notes. A scream rang out "Was that you mom" "No it certainly wasn't" came the reply. Oh well i can't say i haven't had trouble in the ladies anymore. Glad for the anonymity of the stalls.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest ashleynikole

Funny one in the ladies yesterday. I went into the ladies room right after another woman sat myself down and had a pee. Unfortunately as a vegetarian who has been eating bean chili there were a few other notes. A scream rang out "Was that you mom" "No it certainly wasn't" came the reply. Oh well i can't say i haven't had trouble in the ladies anymore. Glad for the anonymity of the stalls.

OMG!!! ROFLMAO!!!! :o:lol::Crylol:

Charlize there are tears streaming down my face from that. I can not stop laughing and crying about it. Oh I need to stop re-reading that because I have a business call to make and they are going to want to know why I'm laughing.

Good luck with your trip and thanks for keeping us all informed on your travels.

Ashley

Guest April Kristie

Charlize, don't forget downtown and Freemont St. The show on the big ceiling is way cool. Then there is Red Rocks park just outside the valley. Worth the trip!

• Forum Moderator

Two days in Las Vegas. Mostly we rested up. I had a chance to clean up not the city but the laundry that had collected over a couple of weeks on the road. it has been years since i've gone to a Laundromat and this was my first time as a woman. i actually enjoyed the process and will certainly enjoy the fact that my clothes are clean. It is hot here which is so different than at the higher elevations. I'm sure it will be hotter yet as we travel into Death Valley. Our water tanks are full and i'm actually looking forward to getting past the amazing glitz of this town. A drive up and down the strip was enough and i couldn't help but notice the homeless camps on the edges. Just like Atlantic City, a place of real and false wealth combined with terrible poverty. As a country girl this and most cities are interesting for short times only.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

Keep an eye out for the ghost of "Seldom seen Slim" from Ballarat out there....

Have fun !

Hugs

Cyndi -

• Forum Moderator

Camping at Stovepipe Wells tonight 5 ft above sea level. We were a hundred plus feet below today at the lowest point in the US. I'm looking forward to the stars tonight and a temperature below 90. It should also be a lot quieter than Las Vegas. The colors and terrain here are just beautiful.

I asked and then changed our campsite. When we pulled in the guys who were there, with lots of bottles of wine to drink in a tub of ice looked like they were drooling at us. Two chicks in an RV next door. Time to move on.

Hugs,

Charlize

My nephew was in Vegas a few weeks back for a conference. Told me it was hot then. There are slot machines in the airport. Guess they want to remind you what you came to Vegas for :P . Sounds like the trip has been therapeutic for you both.

:thumbsup: