• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Getting Outed At A Gay Bar

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

This happened years ago but it still bugs me because this person had to be a jerk about it.

This was when I was living with another pre-op M2F and her gay friend roommate. Oh we also had another post-op friend. (some of this actually comes into play later on).

So we're at this local gay bar one weeknight because the three people I just mentioned play in a pool tournament. (I tag along as the designated driver) So we're in there having a good time, talking and whatnot and this guy comes up to us (individually) and the following dialogue ensues:

Him - Hi

Me - Hi

Him - What's your name?

Me - Allison (that's what I was going with back then, I just decided on Elizabeth last year)

Him - What's your name?

Me - Allison

Him - *leans in* What's your REAL name?

Me - *pauses* Allison

Him - *sarcastically* Of course it is, have a good night. you look fabulous!

He did the same thing to our post-op friend and even when she showed him her license with her name legally changed he still didn't believe her.

I personally wanted to punch the guy for his lack of tact. He asked my name, I told him, why did he have to be a jerk and ask my -real- name?

Would you have done the same? I mean being persistent with your name, not punching the guy. it seemed pretty rude to ask my real name and I wasn't about to tell him anyway.

:angry:

Guest Adam_Mazur

that goes to show how dumb and ignorant people are when it comes to things like this. people have no respect for human kind. I get asked at work all the time what my name is unfortunately i have to tell them because its "professional" but i have several friends that come into the store and when they yell for me they make it completely known "ADAM!!!!" so yes dear I would have myself most likely beat the nuts out of him...

hugs

ADAM

Guest Donna Jean
I personally wanted to punch the guy for his lack of tact. He asked my name, I told him, why did he have to be a jerk and ask my -real- name?

Would you have done the same? I mean being persistent with your name, not punching the guy. it seemed pretty rude to ask my real name and I wasn't about to tell him anyway.

Well...not punching him was a good thing, but he was a stone cold jerk!

Your name is your name...what you want to be called! It was extreamly rude on their part anyway, Hon...

Stick by your guns....be whatever you want to be called.....it's no one's business anyway...you tell someone your name and that is that!

I agree...a real dufus....

My opinion.....

Donna Jean

I met a local girl at an LGBT gay club a couple months ago, she went to dance when this guy comes up and starts small talk then asks if I'm a guy or a girl, well it turns out the only thing he knows about transsexuals is from watching Jerry Springer and Dr. Phil, we talked for awhile me educating him on who we are and that those shows are the way they are to get viewers. In the end he had a better understanding, at least he wasn't a jerk about it.

Paula.

I don't know if I would have been so polite.

I can hear the conversation.

Him - Hi

Me - Hi

Him - What's your name?

Me - Sally

Him - What's your name?

Me - Sally

Me - *leans in real close to his ear and shouts* Sally! Are you deaf?

Him - Holding his ears, OK, I heard that.

Remember, when he has leaned in close he is within Knee range if he tries to hit you. ;)

Love ya,

Gentle Sally

Guest Chrissie
I don't know if I would have been so polite.

I can hear the conversation.

Him - Hi

Me - Hi

Him - What's your name?

Me - Sally

Him - What's your name?

Me - Sally

Me - *leans in real close to his ear and shouts* Sally! Are you deaf?

Him - Holding his ears, OK, I heard that.

Remember, when he has leaned in close he is within Knee range if he tries to hit you. ;)

Love ya,

Gentle Sally

I think I would have done about the same, sally... Maybe I wouldn't have been so gentle... Maybe something like this...

Him- Hi

me - :huh: hello?

Him- What's your name?

me - If I told you I'd have to kill you

Him- You're Kidding right? What's your Name?

me- Cassandra and your name is?

Him- Whats your real name?

me - (after kicking him in the nuts and grabbing his hair to lift him up) C...A...S...S...A...N...D...R...A what's that spell jerk?

Him-Cassandra

me - Very Good I'm in a merciful mood tonight I won't sacrifice you to my Goddess...

Guest Zack L

I haven't had that happen at this point thankfully, but I can certainly say I'd be fighting down an urge to punch that guy too. Or maybe I just would, certainly would make me feel better. XD

that goes to show how dumb and ignorant people are when it comes to things like this. people have no respect for human kind. I get asked at work all the time what my name is unfortunately i have to tell them because its "professional" but i have several friends that come into the store and when they yell for me they make it completely known "ADAM!!!!" so yes dear I would have myself most likely beat the nuts out of him...

hugs

ADAM

Cosign!

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Maybe I should have just kept saying a different name each time?

What's you name?

Allison

What's your name?

Gertrude?

What's your real name?

Princess Elizabeth Anne Rebecca Lorraine...but you can just call me "P.E.A.R.L."

Guest doodle

lots of gay men don't like trans women. In fact they hate them because they don't believe that it is possible to be tans . they think they we are really gay and can't accept our homosexuality. I can't tell you how much crap I have to take from gay men in the past Don't ever hit a guy in less you can really defend yourself.. I did once for a really good reason. I gave him a bloodly nose but he just stood there and said " You think you can take me . you Transgender wanta be sleeper. " and then beat the hell out of me. The worse beating I ever had.. I was black and blue all over, my face as swollen. I cried and cried . It took a long time to get over it. He was an ex=lover. oh well. What I do now when some one is mean to me is tell them that I don't accept other peoples anger. go and give it to someone else then ignore them.

doodle

Guest mia 1

This happened years ago but it still bugs me because this person had to be a jerk about it.

Well the guy was probably loaded and had a mean streak and a bullying attitude and I bet a good chunk of change that he was homophobic as well..So it was a good thing you didn't POP him,,he would have fought back and the cops would have been called and both of you hauled off......Been there done that....

Good choice on your part Lizzie....Pat Pat Pat on the back and a hug......Mia B)

Guest Nelly

Hi,

inspired by the "Let me show you what I have in this jar" I would say after the second questions for the real name "My real name is not speakable for humans". This is done often in SF movies if the author has no idea about alien namens.

Greetings

Nelly

• 2 months later...
Guest Marrion

oh yikes that sucks.

Reminds me of when I first moved to North carolina, everyone kept making me pronouncing things because I had a pretty noticable Longisland accent.

People are naturally rude, If I were you i'd have gone for the groin and said 'Hi my name is Allison, and now I have spared you the trouble of forgetting your children's names. Have a pleasent evening!'

Then again I can get a tad violent, hehe.

Guest Valentine

Next time try this.

Him: What's your name?

You: Allison (or whatever.)

Him: No, what's your real name?

You: Well, my real name is unpronounceable by humans, but you can call me "Speaker to Morons." Would you care to continue the conversation?

oh yikes that sucks.

Reminds me of when I first moved to North carolina, everyone kept making me pronouncing things because I had a pretty noticable Longisland accent.

People are naturally rude, If I were you i'd have gone for the groin and said 'Hi my name is Allison, and now I have spared you the trouble of forgetting your children's names. Have a pleasent evening!'

Then again I can get a tad violent, hehe.

XD! I was going to say I just plain would've punched him... But that's better!!

愛 Eth

Guest (Lightsider)

This was when I was living with another pre-op M2F and her gay friend roommate. Oh we also had another post-op friend. (some of this actually comes into play later on).

So we're at this local gay bar one weeknight because the three people I just mentioned play in a pool tournament. (I tag along as the designated driver) So we're in there having a good time, talking and whatnot and this guy comes up to us (individually) and the following dialogue ensues:

Him - Hi

Me - Hi

Him - What's your name?

Me - Allison (that's what I was going with back then, I just decided on Elizabeth last year)

Him - What's your name?

Me - Allison

Me - *pauses* Allison

Him - *sarcastically* Of course it is, have a good night. you look fabulous!

He did the same thing to our post-op friend and even when she showed him her license with her name legally changed he still didn't believe her.

Some people are so unhappy with their lives that a sadistic spot in them grows and eventually consumes them. Consider the source and be happy. They are not worth wasting your time on with any thought.