• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Too Much Hormones?

Guest nova

Today someone told me that if a MtF takes too much estrogen, it will be converted into male hormones by your body. Does anyone know, is this true? I've been taking estrogen for four years and I would think that my prescribing doctor would have gone over that with me. This person who told me this is not trans, and is not a doctor. I didn't pay much attention to what he said because I thought it was nonsense, but it's been bugging me. Anyone heard of this?

Guest Zabrak

Yes, I've read somewhere that if a MTF or a FTM takes too much of the other hormone it'll convert to the hormone that your body naturally produces. So taking more then your doctor proscribed does not speed up your transition process, but it can slow it down. Also taking too much can cause more problems then that...you could have heart attacks, blood clots, liver problems. You can seriously HURT yourself doing this.

That is just one of the reasons to have all of those blood tests - to avoid over dosing and reversing the process as well as the health risks.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Little Sara

I know too much testosterone will convert to estrogen. I think if its even possible for it to go in reverse, the amount needed is vastly higher. But yeah, it carries a lot of other risks with no benefits to overdose.

A too small dose will also carry risks (osteoporosis for one - besides wasting one's time).

Guest Elizabeth K

Sally nailed it - the reason to be under a physician's care is not only for moitoring side effects, but also to keep you balanced. It is unlikely any physician would allow you to take too much estrogen. Also, you need to quit suppliments and protoestrogens because you want only prescribed estrogen in your body.

Friends mean well, and most of what they may say will have some truth in it. But you doctor is your best source of info - IF you have a good doctor.

Hope this helps

Lizzy

Guest Leah1026
Today someone told me that if a MtF takes too much estrogen, it will be converted into male hormones by your body. Does anyone know, is this true?

I'm glad to report that this is a trans myth. Probably started by doctors many years ago to keep us in line.

Excess testosterone IS converted into estrogen. Just look at weight lifters who over did it with testosterone, they have "b*tch breasts".

Excess estrogen is NOT converted into testosterone. Instead the body excretes it.

Theoretically it is possible, but it doesn't happen in reality.

But just because this is a myth doesn't mean you shouldn't be careful. NEVER self-medicate. See a doctor regularly to monitor your HRT.

Wow, forum software automatically changes breasts into breasts. Interesting.

Guest Little Sara
I'm glad to report that this is a trans myth. Probably started by doctors many years ago to keep us in line.

Excess testosterone IS converted into estrogen. Just look at weight lifters who over did it with testosterone, they have "b*tch breasts".

Excess estrogen is NOT converted into testosterone. Instead the body excretes it.

But just because this is a myth doesn't mean you shouldn't be careful. NEVER self-medicate. See a doctor regularly to monitor your HRT.

Wow, forum software automatically changes breasts into breasts. Interesting.

Probably has to do with the chemical complexity:

Cholesterol degrades to testosterone degrades to progesterone degrades to estrogen, is ejected.

Guest Pól_Eire

Are you sure this is a myth? I slept through a lot of my chemistry lectures last year, but I think there was a diagram in our text book showing how given certain initial conditions, testosterone is converted into estrogen. It has something to do with estradiol, maybe? I'm way to lazy to research this, but I'm not so sure it's a myth.

-Pól

Guest Little Sara
Are you sure this is a myth? I slept through a lot of my chemistry lectures last year, but I think there was a diagram in our text book showing how given certain initial conditions, testosterone is converted into estrogen. It has something to do with estradiol, maybe? I'm way to lazy to research this, but I'm not so sure it's a myth.

-Pól

Testosterone is more chemically complex than estrogen. It can get less complex but not more complex.

This illustrates the phenomenone very well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Steroidogenesis.svg

I have to make an appointment to talk to her but my blood work has always been good.

I've also read that a woman's body converts excess androgens into testosterone, but not the other way around. As I was saying, I think that my doctor would have told me if excess estrogen is converted to testosterone in a MTF's body.

Because black market hormones are so easy to get around here, maybe this guy was trying to scare me. But if I took extra doses, it would show up in my blood monitoring, and I don't want to delay my transistioning by acting irresponsibly.

Guest Leah1026

Did you read my whole post? I said testosterone is converted into estrogen, but not the other way around.

Guest Pól_Eire
Did you read my whole post? I said testosterone is converted into estrogen, but not the other way around.

Oh... :blush: Sorry. I guess I misunderstood it.