• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The Cosmetic Vaginoplasty

Guest KerryUK

Ashley, I'm with you on the headache of relationships, or ones which don't work out anyway. I'm so sorry for your experiences with this though. I've been married twice. The second one broke down in large part because she grew exasperated at my femme side. Not even a 'side'. More a core.

Allie, that statistic on post-op loss of depth / loss of opening is remarkable. I like that Ashley was so definite she wanted full depth, as are many many ladies in our position. But for me, I think I'm realising from this conversation that I'm nowhere near sure enough to put myself through the full depth variety.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tilly

• Jani

• missyjo

• Ashley0616

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is my third failed marriage. I never had to go through a contested divorce before and it's expensive. I'm hoping after I give the divorce attorney 3800 USD's that it will be enough and to finish everything off. 

• Forum Moderator
3 hours ago, Tilly said:

Surgery time: MDV vs Full Depth Vaginoplasty

Recovery length and ordeal: MDV vs Full Depth Vaginoplasty

Maintenance: MDV vs Full Depth Vaginoplasty (For example Allie do you have to 'do' anything down there apart from wash?!)

xx

Surgery time with Dr. Brassard was 1 hour 45 minutes for MDV.  He likes to brag about how fast he is!  🙄

Maintenance is just a matter of keeping it clean.  I had some issues with friction and scar tissue around my clitoris, for which vaseline works well.

3 hours ago, Tilly said:

Oh another thing, my breasts are so sensitive (and large) these days.

Must be nice!  Mine are sensitive, but I am not quite an A.

lucky ladies

I've heard look at your sister or mother n your boobs should get close to theirs in size. otherwise augment. smiles

higs

Is MDV much cheaper than full depth? I'm having issues finding out if Mississippi Medicaid will even cover for it. I know they won't pay full but if it's the majority of it then I would be happy. I know I won't be able to pay full price for surgery in US. In Mexico it would take years to come up with it. I might consider MDV if I can't get covered just trying to plan out all sides. 

12 hours ago, Tilly said:

So another question. I know that any surgery can have risk, even a 20-minute procedure. However on average and all things being equal (not the exceptions) does anyone know the relative differences:

Surgery time: MDV vs Full Depth Vaginoplasty

Recovery length and ordeal: MDV vs Full Depth Vaginoplasty

Maintenance: MDV vs Full Depth Vaginoplasty (For example Allie do you have to 'do' anything down there apart from wash?!)

xx

Tilly, beside cleaning, I have done nothing down there. I do insert a finger from time to time as part of my cleaning in the shower, but mostly I just use a <water balloon> bottle to ensure there are no odours. I have to say my recovery post op was very easy, no pain at all, and just some discomfort with sitting for a few weeks. 

My decision to go MDV was driven by my lifestyle, and I just knew I couldn't tell my grand children that I need private time, so dilating while I was looking after them just wouldn't have happened. I am almost 70, and they are the focus of my life.

Hugs,

Allie

Allie..sounds like  very unselfish decision. good fir you

Ashley I'd forget mexico..if you leave us I'd think thialand..but if you're a vet I think they pay for your medical dear

good luck all

hugs

23 hours ago, Tilly said:

I had a very gruelling 9+ hour facial surgery which worked wonders - people say I barely look 40 these days - but it took it out of me. That one was totally worth it but I wouldn't have the same motivation for a part that I wasn't going to use and no man is going to see, let alone use

I'm currently in my first evening after a 10 hour FFS surgery.  The eyes, cheeks, ears and chin don't hurt bad  but the neck and forehead hurt so bad I can't sleep.  Even thee painkillers and muscle relaxents don't help.  Right now I'm not sure I'm even going to have bottom surgery based on the current recovery.  Maybe not any other surgery as well.  Then maybe I'll change my mind in a month.

Hi Lauren,

You've taken me right back to it. I really feel for you.

If it's any help, this is exactly how I felt and many people say that FFS is far tougher than vaginoplasty. I was absolutely poleaxed by mine: same length as yours at 9.5 hrs.

You have a tough few days ahead but you will come through okay and it's a wonderful result.

Hugs 

xx

On 10/14/2023 at 12:52 PM, KathyLauren said:

Surgery time with Dr. Brassard was 1 hour 45 minutes for MDV.  He likes to brag about how fast he is!  🙄

Maintenance is just a matter of keeping it clean.  I had some issues with friction and scar tissue around my clitoris, for which vaseline works well.

Must be nice!  Mine are sensitive, but I am not quite an A.

Wow Lauren: 1h45. That's incredible!!! It's really helping me to make up my mind. I'm hoping that my orchidectomy might also speed things up a bit. One fewer bit to sort out!

15 hours ago, AllieJ said:

Tilly, beside cleaning, I have done nothing down there. I do insert a finger from time to time as part of my cleaning in the shower, but mostly I just use a <water balloon> bottle to ensure there are no odours. I have to say my recovery post op was very easy, no pain at all, and just some discomfort with sitting for a few weeks. 

My decision to go MDV was driven by my lifestyle, and I just knew I couldn't tell my grand children that I need private time, so dilating while I was looking after them just wouldn't have happened. I am almost 70, and they are the focus of my life.

Hugs,

Allie

Hi Allie, this is so helpful. Thank you. If it's not too personal can I ask how deep yours is?

And the same question for KathyLauren too but I understand if either of you don't want to say. It's kind of very intimate ;) 

• Forum Moderator
3 hours ago, Tilly said:

can I ask how deep yours is?

Mine is about 1/2 inch deep, maybe 3/4.  It is wide enough to get my fingertip in for cleaning.

7 hours ago, Tilly said:

Hi Allie, this is so helpful. Thank you. If it's not too personal can I ask how deep yours is?

And the same question for KathyLauren too but I understand if either of you don't want to say. It's kind of very intimate ;) 

Tilly, about an inch.

hugs,

Allie

Thanks so much ladies, much appreciated.

I'm nearly 100% that this is what I am going to request for. It ticks all my boxes.

xx

On 10/13/2023 at 5:33 AM, Tilly said:

if later in life you decide you cannot go through with the daily dilations the vaginal cavity closes up in time, right? Is that a complication, a risk? Or does it just seal without danger?

I am a bit late to the discussion.  I went for full depth as I very much wanted penetration by men (at the time hypothetical men). The first surgery left me barely able to shuffle around for 3 months.   I had massive amounts of granulation tissue from the surgery which I got "treatment" for this for many months.  It bled heavily for 6 months to a year.  I got to the point I couldn't dilate.  I had a second surgery to try to open things up eventually there was so much scar tissue and granulation tissue I again got to the point I couldn't dilate. At this time I gave up.

13+ years later it can still bleed a tiny bit if I ride a bicycle but its effectively closed up (not sealed).  I don't know if its safe, it seems to be OK.  I guess that's life.  I go through all that and still can't do the thing which was the whole point of the operation.  Still glad I had it though, as at least I gave myself a chance, and it did reduce the dysmorphia.  But then the simpler operation would also have done that with a lot less trouble.

I don't want to put anyone off though.  Complications can happen but I guess they are rare.

On 10/13/2023 at 9:53 PM, AllieJ said:

Lauren, I sometimes worry about the advice therapists can give regarding this decision. It is a very personal decision which needs to suit your lifestyle now and into the future, and I feel the best advice you can get is from those around your age who had their procedures some time ago. [...]

I've come back to this thread from time to time to re-read the many wise comments, and this is such good advice Allie. Thank you x

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info.

I’m 72 and would not want to do all the dilating.  Not worth it at my age.  Does anybody know how long the waiting list is in the US  for this?   I don’t want to wait very long to get “finished”.

31 minutes ago, Rishaya said:

Thanks for the info.

I’m 72 and would not want to do all the dilating.  Not worth it at my age.  Does anybody know how long the waiting list is in the US  for this?   I don’t want to wait very long to get “finished”.

You have to wait a year on HRT. Usually you go for a consultation and then wait 4-6 months then you can finally get it done. 

• Forum Moderator
19 minutes ago, missyjo said:

Ashley is that for any vaginoplasty or just zéro depth?

The one-year wait on HRT is the standard WPATH recommendation for any vaginoplasty, zero-depth or full-depth. 

The 4-6 month wait for the procedure is dependent on the surgeon.  Most have wait lists in that range.  Some might have shorter or longer waiting lists.

14 minutes ago, KathyLauren said:

The one-year wait on HRT is the standard WPATH recommendation for any vaginoplasty, zero-depth or full-depth. 

The 4-6 month wait for the procedure is dependent on the surgeon.  Most have wait lists in that range.  Some might have shorter or longer waiting lists.

WPATH Standards of Care Version 8 now recommends 6 months on HRT pre surgery.

Hugs,

Allie

Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 8.34.30 am.png

On 10/14/2023 at 6:37 PM, missyjo said:

Allie..sounds like  very unselfish decision. good fir you

Ashley I'd forget mexico..if you leave us I'd think thialand..but if you're a vet I think they pay for your medical dear

good luck all

hugs

There is an ongoing law suit with that. The VA has dragged their feet for over a year and still no decision. They simply don't want to fork over the money because there wouldn't be us vets that are taking testosterone blockers and I'm sure just like any big pharma out there they are making lots of money off of us IMHO.

Things drag under the NHS in  the UK too :(

I’m on the waiting list for the ‘Surgical Opinion Appointment’ which seems to be the official gender clinic vetting procedure.

Has anyone else been through this and, if so, any tips about what to expect?

xx

• 2 weeks later...

I could be wrong, but from what I have read, you need to dilate everyday for 3 months post surgery. Then after that once a week for the next 3 months & once a fortnight after that onwards. 

This is the link to the article. It doesn't say if it hurts or not so it would be useful to talk to someone who has done it.

https://www.thelondontransgenderclinic.uk/general/how-does-dilation-work-after-gender-confirmation-surgery/