• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Bad Voice/No Voice - Apparently Doesn't Matter

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

I've had a cold the last few days, and yesterday and today I pretty much lost my voice. What I have left is a hoarse croak at best. I wondered how that might play out with the public. Yesterday I was on the museum floor for two hours, and today I was running around doing errands, including getting one ear re-pierced and a manicure.

I just pointed to my throat and tried to look pitiful, and everyone seemed not only to understand, but I got a lot of sympathy, too. No one thought anything of it. My manner, approach to people, and whatever womanly physical attributes I possess got me through without anyone looking crossways at me.

So yes, voice is important, but sometimes it isn't what you say that matters, or even how you say it; its just the confidence to know that your womanhood shines through. :)

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

It has sure taken me a while to get to that realization myself, but oh so very very right. I am me confidently and that gets me a pass to where I need to be and do. Sorry about the croaking awfuls, l was there two weeks ago, and it did not get the "That's A Man" fingers pointed at me either.

• Forum Moderator

I understand that.

One of the things that I have said in the past here is that I regard myself as a woman with a speech impediment (at least until my speech gets better), and carry on regardless :D

Tracy

• Forum Moderator

"So yes, voice is important, but sometimes it isn't what you say that matters, or even how you say it; its just the confidence to know that your womanhood shines through."

This is so true from what I've learned from others and experienced myself. Just own it!

Jani