• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Transgender Murder Trial: Hate Crime Charge May Be A First

It's a mob mentality from the days of witch trials. People say they believe in equal human rights for everybody but it's just not true. There's them, then ther's us as if we are somehow less human than them. We are human beings and murder against us is just as wrong as it is against them. It is never OK to kill someone no matter what the reason. Do realize that certain family and religious groups that are against us believe that we are better off dead or out of their sight. They don't get that this is exactly like the cup cake days of pinning pink triangles to mark us. When you tell them that they are offended. Hatefull no not them. They're just fighting immorality they say. The fact that makes us second class human beings doesn't phase them at all. If they could find a way to get us all back in closets they would or worse.

Any Transgender person would say "whoa let's talk first" before having full sexual relations. She knew full well his discovering a surprise was going to threaten her life. I do not buy that this guy didn't know first. In fact it's likley he was told which is why he killed her. Because she was transsexual doesn't make murder OK. Those that feel that way feel we are less than dogs. Dogs would be protected at least. This is not the old West where you just string us up for an angry mob. While the law doesn't protect our community it doesn't say it's ok to murder us either.

As to deceit they;ll cheat on their taxes or with their neighbors wife. Being your True Self is not deceit. It's everyones right but apparantly not ours. Our only deciet is to oursleves before we discover what we truely are. Then we at least correct it. What else is left, non-existence. I don't know about you but i'm not wearing a pink triangle saying Transsexual in big letters to announce it to eveyone I meet for anybody. That's like painting a target on yourself. Aim here. Do note that their biggest fear of hate crimes legislation is that they will loose the right to their national sport of calling LGBT people names and tearing us apart. This is depite the fact it's not true and won't spoil their fun.

Laura

Guest karen_h
One question to ask. Does tacking a hate crime on to a murder charge make it less likley the crime will be committed? Do extra penalties deter crime?

Laura

One thing i find disturbing is that the jury will be allowed to consider the lesser charge of second degree murder, if convicted on this charge, the expletive deleted , could serve as little as 4 years for angies murder

kinda shows what kind of value we put on life

karen_h

Guest Elizabeth K

I did it again - posting the following after the update came in:

Elizabeth K April 20th, 2009 6:12 pm ET

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

I am very concerned with what I read in these comments. Much of it shows descrimination and hatred beyong reason. Please understand we transgender ARE responsible for our actions, and we know that. And Angie Zapata should have been 100% truthful - and I am not certain that she wasn’t. I mean, as the ‘deceased’ victim no one can ask her now. As a transgenedered person, Ms Zapata would not have been able to hide her ’secrets’ forever and I am sure that was on her mind.

But - as a transgenderd person myself - I am appalled at the remarks herein, from what are probably otherwise good, loving people. There are opinions - but no real knowledge - of what being transsexual really is all about. I repeat here, we do NOT chose this condition. It is NOT a life style choice, it is NOT a sexual orientation - it has almost everything to do with gender and almost nothing to do with sex.

This transwoman was trying to find happiness and was playing a dangerous game with an aledged gang memeber. He killed her because he was afraid of what people would think about him, not because he was angry - that’s my opinion.

But he will face - “something” - when the trial is over. Many here, some making terribly judgemental and inaccurate statements, will go on, unabatted, possibly passing on their hatred and misinformation to new generations.

It needs to stop. Everyone needs to research the transsexual phenominum. We are really just like you - but … hummmm… now I am not so sure that is such a good thing.

I guess I have a bit of an uphill battle - but I cannot let it go!

Lizzy

Guest Ryles_D

On another site there was a person who called transwomen "men". I couldn't actually figure out what they were talking about, because in one paragraph they said some were obviously supposed to be women while some just looked like men in dresses. I asked them, actually said please, to not refer to transwomen as men, partly because it was really confusing at first. I didn't even get into how offensive it is to call MtFs men because I didn't want to sound like I was being too harsh or critical. They acted like it was a direct assault and told me that I shouldn't attack people who are supporting us.

I was happy they wished us well and acknowledged they don't understand how hard it is to be trans, definitely. But that they had this "I accept you, so you better back off and let me call you what I want" attitude really got to me. Maybe I'm overreacting to this, but it seemed manipulative to react that strongly and say that I/we shouldn't be allowed to say a word against our supporters- even if their support comes in the form of calling women men.

I want to see the world change in my life. I want to be able to be myself, my non-binary, neutrois gender identity and have it accepted. I want people to stop being killed for being themselves, and if that's not possible I want people to at least see it for as awful as it is. It probably won't happen, but I want it to. And it's sad that I'll probably never see it, and the next few generations might not, either. As long as it happens some day, though, and what I do in my life helps, even if only a tiny bit, to make that day come sooner- I guess I'll be happy with that.

Guest mia 1

I don't know if adding extra charges really has much of an effect. I think what you really need is education and you need people to realize that we are all just people. Adding up more charges and having people sit in jail longer will not help anything except an increase in our taxes :(

April

I know you don't like being reduced to a stereotype and no one does but we do pay taxes for a reason. Throw the monster in jail and I'll pay for it myself..!...Living outside of Colorado your taxes are not paying this state's prison system.....we will take care of our own and if we have to hang the monster at high noon we will...(but we won't) he will rot in jail and I'll guarantee Guilty of Murder In The First Degree.......

Guest ~Brenda~

Laura,

Your caring and concern is certainly comforting. I am concerned for you, my dear, that your fear has moved to such anger that you are very militant! The good works you have done has been absolutely astounding. You literally have helped so many people throught the world!! Many of us can attest to the fact that we were terribly lost until we found your website! But now, I think it is time that we helped you. You don't have to take this all on your shoulders alone!! We are all here to help you too. We love you. I love you. It is time that I start working on building a bridge that we all can walk safely on. This is my risk, not yours! You deserve to let others start walking for you.

My thoughts for you

bernii

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 120 Guests (See full list)

• LC
    • Kerrigan888
    • KathyLauren
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Aleksandria
    Newest Member
    Aleksandria

1. Conner_Sent_By_Cyberlife
      Conner_Sent_By_Cyberlife
      (22 years old)
    2. CtN1p
      CtN1p
    3. heyim_finn
      heyim_finn
      (21 years old)
    4. Jayn
      Jayn
    5. joni_girl_1988
      joni_girl_1988
      (51 years old)
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
      Do you use make-up? If so, why and what  types?
    • Heather Shay
      Pride is primarily about yourself, even when it is not you who did something that you are proud about. You can also be proud of something someone else did, who you associate with, such as your children or your favorite football team. People can feel proud of their culture, their family name, or their appearance, none of which require them to actively contribute to the praiseworthy thing1. However, the opinions of others are of crucial importance, as best demonstrated when you purposefully do something that other people praise. Pride is a social emotion, and to feel proud, you need other people’s (real or imagined) confirmation that you have a reason to feel that way. Because of this, other people can also ‘be in your head’ and prevent you from feeling pride. Namely, what is praiseworthy is subjective. Things that may be considered good in a certain (cultural) group may not be praiseworthy in another (e.g., if you grew up in a family that greatly values academics, your athletic abilities may not evoke much praise). Moreover, what is praiseworthy is relative (e.g., if you are a good runner in an athletically average school, you may regularly feel proud about your times; but if you move to a school with highly competent athletes, these same times may seem unremarkable to you). Thus, the more exclusive your quality is in your surroundings, the prouder you feel. Pride has recognizable features. Although its static facial expression (typically a smile or laugh) does not clearly distinguish it from other positive emotions, it typically results in a bodily posture, gestures, and behavior that are clearly recognizable: lifting your chin, looking people in the eye, walking confidently, or in extreme cases, raising arms above your head. In a way, you try to make yourself larger and more noticeable, as if to say: ‘look at me!’ You may also exhibit more perseverance in your activities2. People generally find it very pleasant to experience pride, as it elevates our feeling of social self-worth and status3. At the same time, many social groups, religions, and cultures (especially those that are highly collectivistic, such as the East Asian or African culture) believe that pride needs to be checked. Unchecked pride leads to arrogance and misplaced feelings of superiority (‘letting something get to your head’, ‘hubris comes before the fall’), and social groups typically do not tolerate members feeling like they are superior or deserve special treatment.  
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • April Marie
      Thank you @missyjo! You do wonders for my ego.   It turns out that pastel colors were the "thing" at Kentucky Derby Day so my dress was perfect. I went with white 5" heeled sandals and a wide-brimmed fuscia hat. Dinner and Mint Juleps added to the fun of watching the (recorded) festivities and races.   Perhaps, we'll repeat it for the Preakness in 2 weeks.   Right now it's just blue striped sleep shorts with pink flowers, a pink t-shirt and flip flops. I can't tell you how much wearing  sleep-rated breast forms at night has done to quell my dysphoria. 
    • April Marie
      I can still rock 5" heels.
    • April Marie
      Good morning, everyone!!   My wife and I had our yearly Kentucky Derby Day evening. Dresses, heels, hats, Mint Juleps and a light dinner while watching the festivities and races. Relaxing and fun. I think we'll do the same for the Preakness in two weeks.   It's rainy and cool here today so it's pretty much going to keep me indoors. Ahh, well. A day of rest.   Enjoy and be safe!!
    • Ladypcnj
      Thanks Sally Stone
    • KymmieL
      Thanks, Mindy. It has been so far. Tomorrow, work some more on the wife's grand monkey. Got the right side of the hood primed, just need to do a little more work on the left then I can prime it. Then a 600grit wet sand.   I promised the wife we would take out the bike this weekend.   Kymmie
    • JessicaMW
      During my last visit with my psychologist (who has agreed to provide required letters of recommendation along with a colleague to provide the second) we discussed the shift towards my wife's acceptance. It was a long discussion but one point I mentioned was how much the two of us sitting down and watching this documentary helped:  The Kings | A transgender love story (2017)
    • Betty K
      Oops, I did not mean to post that comment yet! I was going to also say, having read a mountain of commentary on the Review, I think Julia Serano’s response (linked by Vicky above) is the most accurate and thorough. You can also read a non-paywalled version at Substack: https://juliaserano.substack.com/p/the-cass-review-wpath-files-and-the   To me the three key areas in which the review is deficient are:   1. As has already been said here, its views on social transition;   2. Its attempts to give credence to the “ROGD” theory (without ever actually mentioning ROGD because presumably a canny editor knows that would be too transparently transphobic);   3. To me, most crucially, its claims about trans youth and suicide, which are dealt with summarily in about five pages and do not stand up to any deeper scrutiny.    I will be writing about each of these issues in isolation over the next few weeks and appearing on a radio show and podcast to discuss them late in the month. I will post links to these on TP later if anyone is interested.   All that said, I actually think it’s dangerous for us to respond with outright vitriol and condemnation to the review since, like any effective piece of disinformation, it does actually contain some factually based and even helpful recommendations. The Tavistock Gender Identity Service really was underfunded and understaffed and certain staff were not adequately trained. Trans kids really were funnelled away from mental-health support once they started gender-affirming care too. So yes, more investment in youth psychology services would help, as would a less centralised model of care, more training in treatment of trans kids, and more research.   One last thing for now: beware the claim that Cass ignored 98% of studies. That’s not strictly true. She seems to have taken other studies into account but leaned heavily on the 2% that met her standards. Nor does she ever claim that only randomised controlled trials are good enough evidence to justify the use of blockers for kids; just as with ROGD, she strongly suggests this, but is too canny to say it, because she knows such trials would be impossible. For now, I think the best response to this comes from the Trans Safety Network: “[…] we believe there to be systemic biases in the ways that the review prioritises speculative and hearsay evidence to advance its own recommendations while using highly stringent evidence standards to exclude empirical and observational data on actual patients. “ (https://transsafety.network/posts/tsn-statement-on-cass-final-report/)   To me, the scariest aspect of all this is that, if it follows Cass’s recommendations, the NHS will very likely follow Finland’s recent model of trans care, which seems to amount to a prolonged form of conversion therapy. I can’t find the link right now, which is probably lucky for anyone reading this, but I bawled my guts out reading the testimonies of kids who had been mistreated by that system. Truly horrific. To me, at least from my Australian perspective, the Cass Review is the most frightening development in trans rights in recent years. To me, the safe care of trans kids is THE number one issue in politics atm.   Ruth Pierce has a good summary of responses from trans folk and their allies sk far: https://ruthpearce.net/2024/04/16/whats-wrong-with-the-cass-review-a-round-up-of-commentary-and-evidence/    
    • Sally Stone
      Welcome to the wide, wild world of transgender, M.A.  It can definitively be overwhelming, but everyone here is amazing, so no doubt you'll get bunches of wonderful support. I think you'll be happy you found us.   
    • Sally Stone
      @Ladypcnj  This is so true.  I think all of us here have had a post or two that didn't get a response.  Sometimes, it's as simple as adding to your original to post for a clearer explanation, or re-reading what you wrote originally, and rephrasing it.  But don't despair, we aren't ignoring you.   Hugs,   Sally 
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.