• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Restrooms & Locker Rooms Pose Problems Even In Progressive Places

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

I do think we're losing sight of the fact that the issue is significantly different if we are talking about restrooms vs. shower/changing rooms. If someone isn't presenting well, their using the women's restroom is not such a big deal. There is no one in there walking around naked (or shouldn't be, anyway). And if anyone is there peeking through door cracks or under transoms, they are committing a crime, trans or not.

The privacy issue becomes much more acute with changing rooms, and there, facilities should provide privacy options for everyone, not just trans folk, and its there that some standards need to be imposed. What those should be I don't know; perhaps some combination of things that are reasonable and workable. Compromise is the key, and our community needs to be as willing to do so as everyone else.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

According to the advocates that "loophole" is zero risk there has never been a documented case of a trans woman doing anything inappropriate in a women's restroom or locker room. That typical statement "no trans person" side steps the loophole. Is it an intentional sidestep or is he complete blind ignorance. I tend to believe it to be the former rather than latter. The statement is false in any regards because, as Sarah reminds us, Colleen Francis was unequivocally part of the umbrella and not some fundi Christian playing a game.

Okay, I think I see where you're going with this? There's never going to be a solution to this that is going to keep 100% of predators out 100% of the time. Our opposition is looking for that 100% solution. It didn't exist before these laws, and it's not going to exist after these laws. When predator crimes continue to happen even after bathroom bills are passed, then our opposition will be left floundering for a solution because they thought (bathroom bills) was the solution but it turns out those laws didn't change anything.

Guest Sarah Faith

Okay, I think I see where you're going with this? There's never going to be a solution to this that is going to keep 100% of predators out 100% of the time. Our opposition is looking for that 100% solution. It didn't exist before these laws, and it's not going to exist after these laws. When predator crimes continue to happen even after bathroom bills are passed, then our opposition will be left floundering for a solution because they thought (bathroom bills) was the solution but it turns out those laws didn't change anything.

Yes and the extreme from the communities side of the argument of "Anyone under the umbrella should just be able to walk into the bathroom of their choice on any given day based on how they are identifying at that particular moment. " is also pretty inane and frankly silly. I mean seriously at that point you might as well just abolish the concept of gender segregated bathrooms (or spaces in general) because it would practically hold no value what so ever beyond now giving certain individuals the satisfaction of using a women or mens only space.

• Admin

. I mean seriously at that point you might as well just abolish the concept of gender segregated bathrooms (or spaces in general) because it would practically hold no value what so ever beyond now giving certain individuals the satisfaction of using a women or mens only space.

I understand that in some European countries, they have done exactly that. The result has not been the destruction of society as we know it.

Carolyn Marie