• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Make Up Assistance

Guest Emily_MI

Guest Emily_MI

I never played heavily around with makeup before, in the past I have done little and honestly the results were not too encouraging(more of something out of Rockey Horror Show, lol :P ), so I was hoping to get some pointers for just learning the basics of *basic makeup application* for girls like myself. :D

-Emily

Guest Elizabeth K

I had a similar problem learning to apply make-up, but I don't know if I have an answer. My face was semi-neutral, not extremely male nor obviously female. I use the term 'was' because in HRT my face has feminized pretty much and as it was never that masculine, I can probably fer away without FFS. I will have to wait to see. SO this means I no longer have to depend on make-up to look feminine.

BUT as i cross-drssed for years I did learn to apply make-up. It is a trial and error process, but because you are not a natal girl, neither your mother nor your friends your age are there to help. So it gets to the point you just try and experiment. Looking at fashion magaines WILL NOT HELP Those models and actresses are just that, women who are photographed. The airbrushing and computer tweeking ends up with a photo that is dramatic in the magazine, but something no woman would be able to wear except at halloween.

I use the word 'wear.' That's what make up is really all about. It's like clothing, some things look good on others but terrible on you.

So work on it. Look at the girls your age. See what colors work for different skin tones and hair color. That is a key. Also there are fashions, there are seasons, and there are levels of make-up preparation that vary acording to the activity you plan, the lighting you will be under, and the time of day.

Generally use as little make-up as you can.

After I discovered my TS condition and opted living full time at home, partially in public, I discovered I use 1/10th of what I originally did. Lipstick and eyeliner works for me. I rarely use much mascara - and hardly any eye shadow.

And, learn to use concealer and a light dusting of powder foundation. Make-up can cover up defects and temporary conditions. The key is to look as if you don't have make-up foundation on. The finding a color match to your skin is critical!

Thats all a good start.

Lizzy

Guest shanna_bana_1

when i started i just had to practice. but luckily these days you have stuff like youtube with people giving makeup tutorials and these girls know their stuff. so youtube some stuff. i always learn something new that i want to try.

Guest Emily_MI

Thanks, I did check out some Youtube videos which seemed to be very helpful, I just need to find out which Shade works for my skin tone for my foundation and concealer, I know that trial and error is the best way to learn when it comes to figuring out which will work best for me.

• Root Admin

One thing you should remember is, the less makeup you use, the better. Only use as much as is necessary. Use too much and you'll wind up looking like a circus clown.

MaryEllen :)

Guest Emily_MI
One thing you should remember is, the less makeup you use, the better. Only use as much as is necessary. Use too much and you'll wind up looking like a circus clown.

MaryEllen :)

lol, which is what I did before I think and why I looked like what I did. :rolleyes:

I addition to the you tube videos and magazines i got a book Making Faces it has mainly the basics.

Paula