• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Train Pass Issues

tracy_j

• Forum Moderator

I had an experience earlier this week which got me thinking, and it will crop up again.

Due to the current congestion on the roads in Lincoln UK I decided to invest in a senior railcard as they were offered at a reduced price and I don't live too far from a station. This proceeded without problem but, as you may realise, it was supplied with my male name as I am legally male (and specifically Mr) as elegibility is verified via driving license or passport.

This was all Ok until I went out the other day to catch a train and use it. Of course I was dressed, essentially as a woman, clothing, makeup etc. When the guard came along and I presented my card prior to obtaining my reduced fare ticket I felt somewhat strange and he did look very closely at me (note: railcards do not carry photo ID). He did not comment at all and gave me my ticket but I did wonder:

Was he wondering if I was male or was it whether I looked old enough to have a senior railcard? I am still wondering which would be the option I would choose :unsure:

Tracy

• Forum Moderator

That must have been awkward Tracy.  I'm glad he didn't make more of a scene.  Your experience brought to mind a trip i made before i was legally female while i was still drinking.  I went to a large airport to pick up a friend who knew about my gender issues.  While i was waiting for her delayed flight to arrive i went to a bar and sat at a booth to have a quiet drink(or two).  When i made my order the waiter asked for my ID.  Mmmm. Why?  I'm sure i looked younger than my 50's because i was wearing a wig but........

I always have wondered.  At the time i was just glad to get my drinks and go my way.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Admin

I do get "carded" for senior fares on rare occasion, but my ID (state driver's license) does say female.  Smile and it puts it on them.  Congrats,