• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Alcohol and gravity don't mix

Though not a participant in the 12 step world, I have found my own path to being alcohol free for almost 2 years now.

It was given to me by our friend, gravity.

No DUIs, no crazy situations involving law enforcement, just a simple failure in the enter/exit bed process. You don't even have to leave the house for alcohol to get you! Simply trying to use my own bed during a blackout, my head met the edge of the nightstand, breaking the nightstand a little,and leaving a nasty 4" gash on my scalp. The scar remains to this day as a nice contour. I remember every time I touch my head.

needles to say since then even the thought of alcohol makes me nauseous.

This is after 27 years in & out, 13 of them sober non consecutive. 10,000 meetings literally, I was involved.

Not criticizing approaches, there are many paths to sobriety. But finally, it took a swift knock on the head from good ol gravity to sober me up.

Even when you try to do things right, not drink and drive and all that. Plain old falling down gets the drunk every time.

Just a good thing to remember, alcohol & gravity do not mix.

• Forum Moderator

I'm glad your accident did more than cause a scar.  That seems a small price compared to some the alcoholic caries. I think my head was too hard to stop drinking because of a fall.   Congratulations on sobriety.  Any way we get there is a good way.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

Hi Laura,

Some come to a point where they can take it or leave it on thier own. My granfather who was a heavy drinker just quit, with the exception of one Christmas drink a year. Just remember to keep doing the things you're doing to stay sober, and never take that gift for granted.

Lots of love,

Timber Wolf?

The reality is pretty much everything we touch is "addictive" and we get ourselves into all kinds of trouble with "bad habits". One can make one's self crazy chasing down all those "bad habits" in the quest to live a "clean" life.

The important things is to take care of the ones causing the most damage. And is idea of altering the state of one's mind is not in itself a bad thing at all. When done responsibly.

AA does work, for a lot of people, but it is not the last house on the block. It is not the only game in town. I am not some outsider, criticizing aat who barely stepped in and did nothing. I've had years several time, I've been an active service member, I've done my homework and know the philosophies and motivations that led to the formation of AA as well. I've known many old timers and had many very long deep conversations with them into the wee hours of the night. I am by no means a "newcomer" in that fellowship.

But life has it's complexities and I have found the need to divorce myself from AA and the 12 step world. I knew a number of very nice people there, but I also knew a great many of very dysfunctional trainwrecks there as well and had bad experiences trying to come to terms with my gender and talking to transphobic sponsors.

I know that's not everyone in AA, but having lived so long valuing AA, the transphobia I encountered really felt like a great betrayal on the part of the fellowship itself. Seeing people with decades sober, "respected" members of that community, exhibit as much ignorance as when they were drunk just plain drive me well away from AA and anything 12 step.

I still have to be at peace with it because AA is in my family, My mother is 27 years active AA/Al-Anon. it's the "family religion".

I'm not trying to argue or criticize. I'm just sharing my "experience, strength & hope"

Now I'm going to go enjoy recent new legislation (in the substance dept) of the pacific northwest, something which I would be judged harshly for in an AA meeting, but is completely legal here for adults over 21. You can smoke like a chimney, but not "that" stuff.......lol.

I don't even know if I am allowed to mention my "alternative approach" to not drinking alcohol, for it is such a harshly judged habit in this world many places. That's how much of a prevalence the 12 step philosophy has over the world of not drinking alcohol.

...one more thing I remembered.

Learn all you can about that circle and triangle. AA is only borrowing it from a much much older set of teachings.

I would say more, but it is an esoteric lesson that will take years, but be very valuable once you know and understand it.

• Forum Moderator

Thank you for your share Laura.  AA has proved a lifesaver for me.  I'm sure there are other routes to sobriety but it is the only one i found.  It took time but i am quite well accepted in the rooms as myself.  It may be that being who i am disturbs some but that is beyond my control. I enjoy the meetings i attend a great deal and look forward to going.  I find both the message and the social aspects very helpful in achieving some peace in my life as a sober person.

At tonights meeting a woman shared who had long term sobriety since 1985.  after many years she stopped going.   She now has 33 days after years of smoking pot. She didn't drink but when several years ago friends were smoking and having a good time.  She joined them and like many addicts more was the right amount....always more.  She ended up in a local institution where she tried to commit suicide.  Legal or not substances can cause us great harm.  Alcohol is just one of those substances.  Some can have just a bit i can't.  The same goes for pot.  It is legal in several states now.  I've been in some but i know that once i start i have a history of going to extremes.  Instead i choose sobriety.

Hugs,

Charlize

One nice thing about AA is that it neither endorses nor condemns outside issues...  As with any group, it's comprised of fallible human beings.  I started my journey by attending the skype group here, and subsequently  out of town women's groups and regular open meetings.  I was never shunned or ridiculed.   I think it's always hardest when people have an identity in their minds of who we are and then we come along and change it. 

Im glad you found a path that works for you..

8 minutes ago, Michelle 2010 said:

One nice thing about AA is that it neither endorses nor condemns outside issues...  As with any group, it's comprised of fallible human beings.  I started my journey by attending the skype group here, and subsequently  out of town women's groups and regular open meetings.  I was never shunned or ridiculed.   I think it's always hardest when people have an identity in their minds of who we are and then we come along and change it. 

Im glad you found a path that works for you..

I like this, Michelle.  I am always wary of any group that elevates itself (or is done so by it's followers ) to a position of absolute authority in any situation.  All institutions of human origin are fallible. The best we can do is make the best of what is available to us.