• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Therapist Question

Dakota16

When I started working with a therapist about 2 months ago, I asked about a gender therapist. They matched me with someone who's helped quite a bit, but last night raised a red flag. During the session we talked about the thought processes and feelings I had during the restroom fiasco a couple of weeks ago. While she knew there were issues with restrooms, she wasn't familiar with North Carolina's HB2 or my state's laws on the issue. That's when the red flag shot up. It seemed odd to me that a gender therapist wouldn't at least be familiar with HB2 or the state's laws on using restrooms since it's a significant issue right now. Am I overthinking this or should I be asking some extra questions about who I've been paired up with?

• Admin

I wouldn't necessarily say you're overthinking it, but it would be a good idea to evaluate this fact against her overall handling of gender issues so far.  Does she seem competent in dealing with the psychology of gender?  Is she able to understand the thoughts and feelings behind non-gender-related issues you bring up that may exist only because of the gender issues?

If she's generally competent in those areas, I wouldn't worry that she's not in the loop on current events.  Most therapists use their free time to read industry journals and scientific publications so they can keep on top of the psychology end of things, which leaves them with precious little time for anything else.  If it comes down to it, I'd let her reaction to learning about these current events from you be the deciding factor.  If she's able to see quickly why they're a problem, I'd say she's a keeper.

• Forum Moderator

I am always amused that some people are oblivious to current events that are so widely known.  But I have to concur with Dev's assessment that some do bury themselves in their work to the exclusion of all else.  Given this specific subject is related/connected to gender issues I do find it odd that they would not be aware but, we are all different.  Just look at candidate Gary Johnson's response when asked about Aleppo in Syria.  "What is Aleppo?"

I have to agree with Jani and Dev on their assessment.  It's amazing at how much out of the loop people can become on current events.  I'll share from a professional perspective, with few exceptions, those that tend to excel in their field spend a lot of time keeping up on their continuing education at the expense of other things in their world.  I was away this last week on through the weekend for some work training (...and a little family time) and honestly, all I saw was bits and pieces of the news.  Today is the first day I've had 2 minutes to catch up on the news and what's going on, and for that matter also on here.  Info and issues come at us fast and furious in today's mass media world and it's easy to miss things or at least not have the full picture.  As Dev said, if she's competent and meeting your needs, you're probably in the right place.

• Forum Moderator

I would also suggest that you talk to her about your feelings.  Awkward yes but therapy involves a trust and if you have doubts it may be best to discuss it.  Openness and honesty is critical.

Hugs,

Charlize

Charlize, that's an excellent point and so true.  As a side benefit, it may help the therapist realize that while it's important to keep up professionally, personal time and current events are important too.