• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I Would Like To Dress More Androgynous

Guest ericc

Guest ericc

I identify as Androgyne and I want to get myself a new line of clothes for the summer. Only problem is stores like Koals and Bobs have Gender Binary clothing and not so much Androgynous or Unisex.

I would like to dress more like how I feel inside in terms of being Androgyne / Bigender.

Guest Ryles_D

Maybe you could mix them up or try to find clothes that can be worn by either? T-shirts (not baby dolls) are relatively androgynous, there are some pants int he women's section that look like they belong in the men's and vice versa. It's hard, of course. The only thing I could think of is to see how you present (do most people see youa s male or female) and focus on clothes in the other section, but continue with some clothes in yours to see if you can get a wardrobe that isn't obviously one or the other. :/ Good luck.

Guest adamblue

Hmmm...

What look are you going for? One thing that helps me is checking out people in the news with whom I identify. That kind of "click" that goes off in my head that says: "Yup, that's it"!

Then I can go shopping with that mental picture in my head.

I also try to pick the people and the looks that I sense will look good on my body type.

Because I like to look good~!

lol!!

Is there anyone who you would like to look like?

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nire

I like the store Ross, it has low priced clothes which is nice and a very wide selection. Anyway some clothes don't have much gender value and some binary clothes may have some room to be workable. But if selection is a problem I recommend stores like Ross. Maybe Macy's might have some stuff, this one time there was this epic hat that I wanted to get but my parents said no (it was the girl's section) Word of advice shop alone.

Guest Valentine

Most of my pants and shorts are woman's and I wear them year round. I mostly wear t-shirts, woman's shirts and blouses tend to be too feminine to wear around, although I have some.

Guest Elizabeth K

Well

I am androgynous by default right now. So I present one way one day, the other way another day. Then I started mixing the two - heck I am getting the strange looks anyway. My favorite is casual denim wear - jeans are girl-jeans but only becausse of the stitching on the back pockets - and a tank top with a denim men's shirt. And clogs. To this i add full jewelery - bracelets, rings and stuff, usually silver. I have a gender neutral cross on a chain. I style my hair up, and out I go.

THEN if I want to present male - no earrings, make-up or purse. If I want female - add lipstick and earrings back in. MAGIC!

The key is I get read both ways regardless of how I present. TAA DAA Androgynous - "Can I help you ma'm - errrr sir.... err, can i help you?"

So - buy in all sections of the store. Mix and match. I have some beautifully feminine shirts I bought in the men's section, and some masculine blue denim shirts I bought in the women's side. Young people's stores carry good stuff - even the hip-hop stores, if you don't mind paying big bucks.

Go for it! BUT stay safe... and avoid using either restroom!

Lizzy

Guest androgynous

I like to buy cloths for both and & woman, but both not being too much of it. If you get what I mean? Many feminine clothing feels very comfortable, but the main problem here is size, since everything works totally different with sizes. I barely fit into the XL range fro woman (male I am an L), and not many cloths are those sizes, but some are. I do however like clothing that is a bit neutral, I wouldn't wear screaming pink allover, cuz that spoils it all.

• 2 months later...
Guest Mesingw

some things i buy exclusivley mens (underwear and pants for example) but other things like shirts and whatnot you can't go wrong with. I usually get mine at stores near me that sell alternative clothing (Hot Topic is a start, although i think there selection sucks anymore).