• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

7 Realities Of Being Trans Back Before You Knew We Existed

VickySGV

• Admin

This matches up with much of what I knew and have known about since my childhood in the 1950's and 60's and explains some of my own hiding of my real self until I was in my 50's.  One bad word at the end of the article, but it is the description of the subjects feelings.  This may explain why some folks who are here with a long post op past feel and respond if they do.

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2456-i-was-transgender-before-that-word-existed-7-dark-realities.html

Sounds like one of my friends, she transitioned in the mid 70's found a partner (another MTF) and lived and worked quietly as two women who live together until her partner passed away. After that she decided to rejoin the community and meet new people.

I came across this the other day. I found it very interesting. Growing up in the 80s and early 90s and realizing I was transgender then, I remember the idea that transition was kind of like entering the witness protection program. You could do it, but be prepared to move away, cut all ties and create a backstory for your early life.

I can appreciate the position that heightened awareness of transgender people may put people in if they are used to living quiet lives. However, I also feel like visibility is the only way we're going to get anywhere.