• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Progress report with a medical question

Guest sharonmoore

Guest sharonmoore

After a long time waiting I am finally on a hormone treatment course, Gorserelin implant for testosterone reduction and Progynova patches for estrogen.  Mostly Yay!!! but since starting with the Progynova, I have developed eczema like flaking skin on the penis.  Is this a temporary glitch or something I should be reporting to my doctor?

• Forum Moderator

I would certainly mention it to your physician.  Is the dryness just localized to the one area?   Be aware that reduced T and increased E will dry your skin out somewhat as your body gets used to the new dynamic.  Overall my skin is much drier than it was.  I really noticed it on my arms.  I regularly apply lotion to moisten my skin.   Stay well hydrated.  

Jani

My girlfriend had this problem too. It comes and goes for her. I'm not sure if she did anything about it, but she has not complained about it within the last month. 

• Admin

Definitely consult with your doctor if it becomes persistent and is giving you discomfort.  I am using an Estradiol patch myself and after one has finished its course on me, I am left with a reddish bump where it had been that a day or two later turns into a spot of flaking skin. On the doctors orders I do use an OTC cortisone salve on the spot to keep it from itching.

• Forum Moderator

When i was using E patches i often had a reaction at the site but it was localized to that site.  I would definitely mention the reaction to your doctor and while it may be ok there are also other methods that are as safe as the patch.  i am on a spray at this point which i like.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest sharonmoore

Thanks,  use of an eczema cream seems to have got it under control.  Definitely worth discussing with endocrinologist at next appointment.