• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Lupron Injection for adult / replacing Spironalactone

Luna L

Hello,

Has anyone used Lupron (28-day injection or...)  as a replacement for Spironalactone?  I would be on ****MG injection monthly, **** Estradiol Cypionate weekly,  along with Tamsulosin (used for another purpose, but supposedly lowers T?)

Endo suggested stopping Spiro after my first injection (today)  but I'm worried about the "surge"  in T.    I'm not sure how worried I should be, or if the Tamsulosin and residual effects from the Spiro will be enough to mitigate it?

Thanks very much!

Edited by CyndiRae
Removed dosage info from post per T & C
  • Forum Moderator

I suppose this is a question for your Endo.  Obviously they feel the Spironolactone is not in your best interest.  There may be some countervailing issue they are seeing.  I'm not aware of the common use of Lupron.

I see you're new here.  Welcome!  Why don't you post an introduction?   Also take a look at the rules for posting.  Listing dosages are not allowed as we all are individuals and what works for one may not for another.

Jani

• Admin

Hello, Luna, and Welcome to TransPulse.  I concur with Jani's reply.  We aren't doctors, and even if we have personal experience with different meds in different combinations, what is right for us or worked for us may not be true for you, and we would be remiss if we provided opinions about it.  Please do ask your doctor about your concerns.  They should not be hesitant to give you an answer.

Carolyn Marie

Thank you for the replies. I stand corrected. I apologize! What I should have asked, is , does anyone know if it's really necessary to take another antiandrogen while starting Lupron to help with the "flare"  in your experience?

Not asking for an opinion, just experiences.   I'm already in close contact with my endo, waiting for email replies to my specific questions.

I guess I'm just anxious and wanting to not feel so alone in this particular scenario....

Thanks again.

• Forum Moderator

I'm not sure I understand the reference to "flare" in experience.  My changes came slowly although I understand they can be quick in some.  

I believe you hit upon the reason to not take Spiro in addition to Lupron as they do act as antiandrogens, so no need to double up.  I looked and there is some overlap in the side effects that probably should not be multiplied.  

Yes, we all tend to get anxious at first but take a deep breath.  This is a marathon not a sprint.  The changes will be cumulative and may arrive quickly followed by a period of dormancy, followed by another rush.  We're all different.  After my initial bump, the changes (mental and physical) have been slow and methodical.  It's certainly easier to deal with that way! 

Jani 

6 minutes ago, Jani423 said:

I'm not sure I understand the reference to "flare" in experience.  My changes came slowly although I understand they can be quick in some.  

I believe you hit upon the reason to not take Spiro in addition to Lupron as they do act as antiandrogens, so no need to double up.  I looked and there is some overlap in the side effects that probably should not be multiplied.  

Yes, we all tend to get anxious at first but take a deep breath.  This is a marathon not a sprint.  The changes will be cumulative and may arrive quickly followed by a period of dormancy, followed by another rush.  We're all different.  After my initial bump, the changes (mental and physical) have been slow and methodical.  It's certainly easier to deal with that way! 

Jani 

6 minutes ago, Jani423 said:

Jani 

Ah, thank you.  I meant an initial surge in Testosterone, or "flare."  The manufacturer and other sources say Lupron works by sensitizing the receptors or something like that, so you get an initial sharp increase in T for a week to a month, then a gradual lowering...not sure how gradual.  Apparently a lot of people use something at the same time, for those few weeks, usually Bicatililmide (sp??)  But of course I'm just going to follow instructions until I hear back from my Endo.

I've been on Spiro and E for 9-ish months, so hopefully the Spiro effects might linger a short while after stopping.  Crossing my fingers.  :o)

I stopped taking spiro so long ago because I ran out of money. The effects diminished slowly. In almost a month I had "boy stink" again. At three weeks I was irritable again from testosterone. No changes came on suddenly. I have never taken those other meds. YMMV