• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Prostate, finasteride and HRT

Gwen

I sure hope someone has some input here. I'm going to see my urologist soon about a prostate issue (groan...), and I think he might recommend finasteride. I'm hoping to begin HRT in the next few months, and I'm wondering how the finasteride will affect the other medications. I'm really worried about the peeing problem with spironolactone, since I pee a lot already, and I have a secret wish that I'll be able to take less of it. After all, wishing is free :)

• Admin

The Finasteride is actually a VERY common med used in HRT as a "T" Blocker, so life should be fine.  Spiro is of course another anti-T whose "on label" use is a diuretic or water pill used to keep blood pressure in line. I still use it post-op for that reason since the T-blocker use is no longer relevant and the other most common diuretic crashes my potassium levels. I have not taken the Finasteride but know a whole ton of others who do and think it works just fine.  

Thanks so much, Vicky! (I'm sighing with relief.) I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how each HRT med works, but I'm sure one day all this info will seem less mysterious, especially once I start adding new pills to my weekly pill box. As I noted, I'm concerned about having to drink a gallon of water each day because I'm peeing so much. Sounds like there's hope I won't have to.

Hugs,

Gwen

Hi Gwen,

I've been on HRT for around 5 weeks, and I take Spiro. It took a little over 3 weeks for my body to get used to it. Only a few weeks ago I had considered asking the Doctor about finasteride or another antiandrogen because I was frustrated with Spiro. It DID cause a great deal of urinating, especially if I drank ANY caffeine or alcohol the same day.  And it took about 10 days to gain back the 3-4 lbs of water weight I lost from day one. I'm very skinny too so I really felt it. But I learned that I needed to divide my dose and take my first pill earlier in the day. Much better. BUT, my opinion is that spiro might be a bit of a blunt instrument for HRT in 2017. ....Just an opinion. Hope you get prescribed what works for you! I can't recall what the main concern was with Finasteride for HRT was...elevated risk of liver issues?

All The Best,

Sunny Kay

Hi Sunny Kay,

I seem to recall reading one of your earlier posts that mentioned your weight. I'm thin too and would hate to drop a few more pounds. On my frame it would be like dropping 10 which would leave me a bit bony :(  Fortunately I'm going to be seeing an endo affiliated with a transgender clinic at a major hospital. I'm sure he'll help me come up with the best cocktail. Meanwhile, I still have the make the Finasteride decision! Good thing I have therapy today, then two weeks to think about it. Spiro sure has its problems, doesn't it? I suppose the pharmaceutical companies aren't all that motivated to invest in HRT meds. 

(I do love my coffee ... it would be difficult to live without it!)

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Gwen

I was prescribed Spirolactone AND Finesteride for most of my transition. Spiro as an anti androgen and Finesteride for hair line restoration. It may have been overkill but my endocrinologist suggested it and my body tolerated it well.  They can be used simultaneously.

I have been on spirinolactone for 4 months now. The worst was the loss of strength but after 3 weeks things were back pretty much as they were. About 3 weeks agao we increased the spiro things are not too bad. I drink as much water as I can also some juices. I took the increase split be twine morning and night I did not like that much, all in the morning is not to bad for me. It's not hard to tell if i get behind in the fluid intake. I do not like taking Meds but hrt is worth the trouble. 

Good luck. Enjoy the journey. 

Thanks Rachel and DemimAndLace. It's so nice to hear from others who are actually taking these medications. I'll be transitioning at 60 and so I'm pretty set in my ways. If a doctor told me I had to drink an extra 15 glasses of water each day, I might not be able to do it!! And then, I'd spending the night in the bathroom - not fun. I hope I can use a combination of Spiro and Finasteride, like you, DemimAndLace. If I could regrow some hair I know my body dysphoria would diminish. In my 20s and 30s I had very long, thick hair, but no more. Life is not always kind.

Thanks to everyone who has responded :)

Gwen

5 hours ago, Gwen said:

If a doctor told me I had to drink an extra 15 glasses of water each day, I might not be able to do it!!

Like you Gwen, increasing my water intake isn't easily done for me.  I don't like water and therefore, I'm not diligent about drinking beyond thirst.  My endocrinologist wanted me to drink more water because my creatinine was on the high side and there was concern that my kidneys were being stressed by the mends.  To be safe, they had me do a kidney filtration rate test which indicated excellent function.  Why my creatinine runs high, no one knows but they saw no reason to take me off either drug and only suggested I use half as much.  ...Just for reference, I'm in my 40's and in excellent health.  I was on both meds for about 27 months.  Now I only take Finesteride for hair regrowth (+Minoxidil) but honestly, they haven't worked to my satisfaction.

Gwen, you are only ahead of me by a couple of years. I am 58 ooh I forgot a girl doesn't tell her age. 

Cheers just one more glass of water?

22 hours ago, DenimAndLace said:

Now I only take Finesteride for hair regrowth (+Minoxidil) but honestly, they haven't worked to my satisfaction.

So sorry the regrowth has not gone well for you. I'm sure it's something that many of us struggle with, especially as we get older. In my 20s and 30s I had very long, thick hair. No more. I've worn hats for years, as a male, but really hope I can abandon this habit when I transition. It's all up to nature :)

Gwen

• Admin

While I did not have the drastic loss of hair due to ordinary Male Pattern Baldness that some do, I have one picture in my gallery from a couple of years ago where I show off my extent for a reason but that is listed on it.  I did not use the Finasteride but when I went onto Estrogen, my hair did change in texture from moderately coarse to baby fine over a three year period.  Big issue with hair is that it goes through several stages of growth, one of which is a dormant stage for the follicles and your first hair effects will occur as those follicles wake up and start a growth cycle over again, the good news is that the Finasteride / Estrogen combo wakes up some that might have gone to sleep on a more permanent basis.  In my case it did take about 3 years for the process to be completed with "old growth" (T-fueled hair) living its appointed life cycle, and then dying off and then hit by E when the follicle came back to life.  Mine came back female fine and straight as a board.  My hair stylist  who knows I am Trans and I both agree that my hair is the only straight part of me!!  Give it time and your hair will be better.  Save your satisfaction rating for a while, like a year or two, and then see what it is like.

Thanks for this very encouraging and detailed information. Someone's personal experience is the most appreciated. Much of my hair loss is due to the medications I've been on for years so I'm hoping there are plenty of hairs waiting to rise from their slumber. I find it fascinating how hair texture would change on estrogen, and I can imagine the joy of shampooing longish, silky hair down the road. Something to look forward to. It seems like so much comes to fruition by the two-year mark - a good time for a celebration!

Gwen

9 hours ago, VickySGV said:

Give it time and your hair will be better.  Save your satisfaction rating for a while, like a year or two, and then see what it is like.

Agreed, I'm not trying to discourage anyone from trying.  It just didn't do much for ME and I'm a few months short of 3 years on HRT.

• 3 weeks later...

Since My last comment comment here things have changed, I thought I was handeling the increase in spiro, but when reality set in I was not. I drank just as much as I could but still got behind, and then woke up with a leg cramp, went to get some water and tripped and fell. I am ok but have stopped the spiro due to the fact that I am unable to Handle  the blood pressure drop associated with spiro. If you notice anything that does not seem normal please call your doctor imeditaly. 

Have a safe journey. 

I'm so sorry to hear that Rachel. I know that spiro is hard for some of us......I personally am on day 4 of taking only half my prescribed dose to give my body a little rest and so I feel a little better. It's hard to live with so little vitality and energy for day after day long term. I think for me the blood pressure drop is tough to handle too, since I already have low BP. 

Well, I do hope you find a way to continue your journey and move forward somehow. Your in my thoughts!

Hugs,

Sunny Kay

Very sorry to hear this too, Rachael. Your fall must have been a scary moment. Our lives can be challenging enough without these extra health issues. I hope you have a good relationship with your doctor and can get some adjustments made.

Sunny Kay, your comment worries me. I've been blessed with excess energy most of my life and I would be disappointed if I had to live with less. But I won't know until I'm actually taking more mediation. So far, the Finesteride is tolerable after two days. And best of all, it allows me to drink regular coffee! Life is good :)

Gwen

Guest Rachel Gia

Hi everyone.

I had many troubles at the beginning with spiro in the early months and the loss of vitality in the first couple of hours was hard to take for sure and there were times that I almost packed HRT in.

I had clashes with certain food groups but found a way to deal with it but still have problems here and there.

The light headed-ness lestened after a while and I don't really notice the drug at all as long as I can stay away from clashing food groups.

I drink water during the night even though I have to pee more which is a habit I developed during the process of hrt.

I am a recovering alcoholic thus no alcohol pour moi and the food is pretty strict for the most part although I do enjoy meat here and there.

Contrary to popular belief a steak won't spike your testosterone and is actually on the opposite end of the T spikers.

Look for stuff with good amounts of iron like wild rice and unprocessed natural cane sugars.

This really helps.

Diet and water really help:)

• Forum Moderator

Sounds like you are adjusting to the changes.  The light headedness will lessen after a while.  

Jani