• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Sobriety and transition

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

As i sit here with my coffee i started to reflect on the similarities between the steps we have to take in transition and how they do mirror those we take to find sobriety. Maybe some is a stretch but the parallels are quite strong.

I was certainly powerless over my gender issues.  I had to ask and find a power greater than myself to help me have the strength to continue. I became open and honest with others (including my gender therapist).  i prayed for and was granted the courage to confront my fears and self loathing.  I spoke honestly to my wife and family asking for forgiveness, not for being myself but for the deceit of many years.  I have lived since then more comfortably as a productive family member.  Issues continue to come up and i do my best to confront them in an honest way, looking for the right answer not the one that is most convenient for me.  I continue to see my higher power both as an alcoholic and a trans* person.  Having found my own path i have found that my experiences can benefit others.
  Perhaps this is simply a matter of finding through the 12th step that i must "practice these principals in all of my affairs”.
Transition has certainly been a journey that my sobriety and time in AA has made possible.  Thank you all for being there.  I could not make this journey without the help and support of others who make me stronger by their understanding.
Now off to help my wife, walk the dog, feed the goats and start moving through whatever is given me to do.  
  Tonight i am looking forward to a Zoom meeting with other sober trans* folk from around the country and the world.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest Rachel Gia

Hi Charlize,

Although we got sober together on different side of the continent the miracles of AA happened and I learned about yours and other peoples struggles in the Trans community on this forum. Most all of us know the statistics published to do with substances and being transgender and maybe it really is a miracle that we found the strength and courage to leave the bondage of addiction and transition in a world that is just beginning to accept us.

You and others on this forum helped me in my transition and I thank you all.

Sometimes at meetings when some hardcore brings up "PEN TO PAPER!" I think , 'wow man, I don;t do that and I ams till sober" and then I remember how much I wrote about my feelings, mistakes, and happiness on this forum.

Rachel

PS don't look at the post count as the post count as it was reset after the revamp of Laura's Playground to Transpulse and I love the revamp!!!:D

• 3 months later...

Hi. My name is Julie, and I am an alcoholic. I got sober, and remain sober since December of 1978. I am transgendered and have only recently begun to transition. I am on hormones and am having electrolysis (ouch) and once my facial hair is under control I will present and live as the woman I was born to be but was genetically male by design or mistake. It does not matter about the particulars of how I came to be, I just am. I love my sobriety and am not tempted to run and hide in the booze as I journey forward in sobriety. I ask my Higher Power for help every morning and give thanks for who I am and where my journey is taking me. I am not afraid of what lies ahead for I have the tools to deal with life on life's terms. I do not cringe or cower before the pressures of being trans, I embrace and accept myself for who and what I am. All aspects of me had a hand in making me the person I am today, the woman I am becoming and the sober example of a transwoman in AA who has been sober for nearly 40 years. God bless all who struggle with addiction issues (whomever you choose to think of or call God) and please know that I am so happy I found the 12 Steps and a new way of thinking and living because of AA. I hope you join me on the road of sobriety as I trudge the road of happy destiny as I transition with the support and acceptance of our wonderful Trans Community here in Ontario, Canada. Stay true to yourself and above all, stay sober, One Day at a Time! 

This is my first time posting.

Thanks for reading my thoughts. 

Julie J

• Forum Moderator

Welcome Julie J and congratulations on your years of clarity!   I'm happy to hear you are moving forward with transition.  

Jani

• Forum Moderator

Welcome to Trans Pulse Julie!  Congratulations on 40 years.  I was given the gift of sobriety at the age of 58 so 40 years seems a bit of a stretch but i'll give it a sober try if that is to be.

Hugs,

Charlize

Thanks for the welcome Jani and Charlie. I hope I can learn and hopefully give back to those searching for recovery as we travel through this amazing journey! 

Big (((HUGS))) 

Julie J 

I was just reviewing my last message/reply and see autocorrect has struck again... Sorry about your name being misspelled Charlize :(

I'll try to be more careful when I check my messages before posting them. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 99 Guests (See full list)

• Antonia 7
    • MaybeRob
    • Ashley0616
    • April Marie
    • AllieJ
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

LostAndForgotten
    Newest Member
    LostAndForgotten

1. Bddk
      Bddk
      (28 years old)
    2. Belladonnakarapinskia
      Belladonnakarapinskia
    3. Breanne_O
      Breanne_O
    4. Danielle57
      Danielle57
    5. ferh.li
      ferh.li
      (20 years old)
    • April Marie
      Seeking Helen Mirren's grace and style.
    • Heather Shay
    • April Marie
      Good morning, everyone!!   Yesterday was lawn mower battery day. I've been nursing the battery on my Zero Turn mower for two weeks. It gave up the ghost when I stopped to refuel yesterday so I had to run over to the local shop to get a new one. And forgot my wallet so I had to drive home and back again.   Then, I was using the garden tractor with the bagger to pick up the clippings. I cut about 7 acres so it took me awhile. When I was done, I went to refuel it and, of course, it wouldn't start when I'd finished putting in the gas. I'm hoping it was just some corrosion on the cables - cleaned them up, gave it a quick charge and it started right up. We'll see if it will hold a charge now or turn out like the Zero Turn.   House cleaning day today. And then I'm going to just relax outside for a bit and enjoy one more warm day before our temps drop and rain comes in for the weekend.   Enjoy this beautiful day we've been given!!
    • Heather Shay
      Striking your head against the wall, you can lose 150 calories an hour. Blue color attracts mosquitoes in two times more than any other. Most toilet paper sold for home use in France is pink. In 2014, a missing woman on a vacation in Iceland was found when it was discovered that she was in the search party looking for herself. In 2005, Mark Zuckerberg unsuccessfully tried to sell Facebook for $75 million. Back then it was called TheFacebook. Strawberries can also be white or yellow, and some can even taste like pineapples! The Boston Marathon didn’t allow female runners until 1972. Banks have therapists known as ‘wealth psychologist’ who help ultra-rich clients, who are unable to mentally cope with their immense wealth.
    • Birdie
      I attend a medical day-centre in Texas for needed medical services. It's religious oriented, so not gender fluid friendly. I of course dress 100% in female attire yet androgynous to keep both "them happy", and I really don't mind.    I of course am imposed rules that no other participant is bound by. The examples are the allowed size of my backpack, or how many visits per day I can see my Representative payee.  The gender neutral restroom use was a compromise that all off us have agreed to.  Not being able to wear tanks tops or shorts that aren't "Bermuda length" are other examples of where I am restricted more than any other participant. "Bra talk" is strictly forbidden, even though their doctor and occupational therapist were the ones that told me I needed support due to neck pain.    I found myself being reprimanded by staff three times yesterday for very petty details, and they have constantly pushed for me to remove myself from the program voluntarily. I am of course someone not welcomed in the program, but federal discrimination laws prevent them from removing me. They instead are just making life miserable with the hopes that I will leave on my own. 
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Nope.  I live in a rural area.  Pride events are for city folks.  The normally quiet LGBTQ+ club kind of changes atmosphere during that time, and things get a bit political.  As a non-Democrat, I avoid it.
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      For me, definitely the size thing.  I'm 5'4" on a good day, and 100lbs.  I can pass as a teenage boy, but never for my real mid-30s age.  And since my husband looks older than his age, I'm often assumed to be his kid.  Or folks think there's something illegal going on.      Also, my lack of the typical aggressive "masculine" demeanor.  I don't really desire the typical masculine social role, nor could I do it even if I tried really hard.  I'm usually quiet and kind of timid. 
    • MaeBe
      I am sorry for your struggles. I cannot empathize, but I can surely sympathize. I wish only the best for you! 
    • Birdie
      No, they are the only provider of services I need an my area. 😑
    • RaineOnYourParade
      My size. A lot of guys aren't 5'3" at seventeen. My hands. It's a less noticeable one, but my hands are very "feminine"? If you know what I mean. My voice. Very high-pitched. I don't just sound like a female, I sound like a little girl sometimes My chest. I've had to stop binding due to frequent aches doing so, and it's not nearly small enough to just cover with baggy clothes My family. They still call me she/her, so that's an automatic out. My anxiety. I might be able to pass better if I had the courage to correct people. Instead, I'm too scared to speak up, so I find it hard. My lack of men's clothes.   Anyone else have these problems, or other ones?
    • violet r
      From what I have read and heard most people are so.busy with their everyday lives and either looking at their phones or in a hurry to notice you out and about. 
    • RaineOnYourParade
      This exactly ^^^   I actually really liked games where I was required to play a male character. It felt homey, in a way. 
    • violet r
      I been play texas chainsaw massacre game most recently. It free on game pass right now. Just need a good team
    • violet r
      Anyone play war and order on their phones?  
    • violet r
      I can relate.  I have always played a female character when given the opportunity. Not really and reason except I just alway pick them since I was young   
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.