• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Why Most Men Still Don’t Casually Wear Dresses

SugarMagnolia

• Forum Moderator

A very informative article.  Thanks Julie. 

Jani

• 2 weeks later...

Great articles. I bet if a more men casually wore dresses and skirts they would find them extremely comfortable and want to wear them. Now for heels I doubt that. :)

• Admin

Toward the end of my "male wardrobe" days I bought myself a kilt that is not made of a Tartan Plaid fabric that was made for men who operate specialized harvesting vehicles where the ability to reach a number of foot controls is needed.  The kilt is also preferred by some men in certain construction trades.  I wore my when I was erecting portable communications towers as part of my Ham Radio hobby, and it was much easier to climb ladders and even the towers than it was with slacks.  Some of my gay friends want me to see if we can get a company that makes / sells them to do a fashion show for the guys at my LGBT community center.  Even now that I am transitioned and only a few people remember that I was male presenting I still prefer the kilt (and have since gotten a second one) to slacks of either gender when I can get away with it. 

A kilt is a distinctly male wardrobe item, albeit a fringe/marginalized one. 

Thanks for that, Terry. I didn't know about it, and it brought a smile to my face!

I’ve always felt that way about fashion. It’s a double edge sword. And why? It’s all just clothing. I don’t think that clothing should have any basis in sexuality, or gender. People should wear what they like no matter what it is. I’ve been wearing leggings for 2 years now. They aren’t men’s clothing persae, but I love them. So I wear them. Now I love a pretty skirt too and I don’t wear them. And why?! I guess it’s because of the fear of backlash. But honestly who cares. It’s all just clothes. And clothes are meant to show our personalities. So we should all start doing that. 

Great article Julie. 

Very interesting article.  I do think it is funny that I put one feminine clothing and feel free and at ease.  But I have to admit I have zero desire to wear female clothing when presenting male.

• Forum Moderator

I wear female clothing all the time, just leaving my old male clothing for specific occasions (weddings / funerals and working on the car). That said, I do limit going as far as wearing a dress or obvious skirt in public to those times I am presenting as fully female (ie not with a group who still think of me as male). There are times when, although it may or may not worry me, it would be difficult and embarrasing for those I was with. As Kirsten said, it's all just clothes.

Tracy