• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Seeing the Gender Psychiatrist sooner than thought

Laura Beth

I needed to take my truck to the mechanic yesterday and while I was in the bank to get some cash the doctor's office phoned.  My son told me the about the call but not which doctor who called so I had to call them back. I have been waiting since July 2016 to get in to see one that is two hours away but I received a call a couple weeks ago that it would be another year before I could get in. They gave me the option to see a different one that was suppose to have a four month waiting list before I could get an appointment, but I will be going on June 8 to see her for the first appointment. It will be a three hour drive one way but it at least gets me one step further on my journey.

I hope that I will be able to be referred to by my preferred name. My GP still calls me by my old name even when he receives blood test results with my preferred name on them. The last prescriptions I received the one item was not covered as it was but if made into two individual ingredients they are covered. So the pharmacist called the doctor to get it changed and referred to me by my preferred name and called me she when making reference to me on the phone. 

Laura Beth

• Admin

It sounds like you are on the way.  I have found that the "preferred" psychiatrist / psychologist may not be the best one for us after many years, so you may in fact have the RIGHT one even if you do not think so now.  Be open and truthful with what you tell them even if you are afraid that it is absurd or will not be helpful.  There is no "formula" that you need to concoct in their minds, your story is unique and it is yours.  Safe travels.

• Forum Moderator

I'm sorry to hear of the lengthy wait but it does seem you are on your way.  I agree with Vicky and hope this is the RIGHT psychiatrist/psychologist for you.   I would definitely remind your PCP about your preferred name.  

Jani

My GP will not use my preferred name until I get it legally changed. This is something I have tried in the past to get him to do. My Gender Doctor has no problem with my preferred name and that is how the pharmacy learned of it from a prescription for my hormones. My old legal name is still connected to the accounts at the pharmacy and GD office but refer to me as Laura.

• Admin

I know, from talking with many folks from both Canada and the UK, that your health systems can be mazes to navigate and involve huge wait times.  I sometimes wonder if it might be worth it to spend money on private therapists if one can afford it, rather than wait for the public health system for approval.  But I know it can be very expensive.  I do wish you luck on this new therapist, and congratulate you on your patience and fortitude.

Carolyn Marie