• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Gender therapist and support for trans in France?

Hello everyone, I hope you're all doing okay.

Some of you maybe already know it, but France doesn't seem very open about transgender stuff and it's hard to find anything that could help. 

I couldn't find anything in my area and I don't really know what to do...I also live near Geneva and Lausanne in Switzerland, being close to the border, on the french side.

Does anyone know any therapist around that area? If not, do you perhaps know places in the world that will take care of a foreigner?

I'm going to Japan this summer, and I guess I can plan other trips in the future if that's what it takes to access help..

If anyone has advice, I'd love to hear it

Thank you

Oops, I posted in the wrong place..it was supposed to be in 'therapy, and I don't know how to delete it

I apologize for that

3 hours ago, Jani said:

No problem with the place!

I found this listing for therapists in Switzerland

http://internationaltherapistdirectory.com/switzerland/

This office even has Japanese speaking counselors

https://www.therapygeneva.ch

I didn't see anyone in your area in France.  

Best of luck searching. 

Jani

Hi Jani, thank you very much, I'll look it up

Question though: are all therapists/psychologists supposed to be able to deal with transgender people?

• Forum Moderator

Great, I hope you find someone that is a good fit for you.  Generally speaking, they all should be able to address your feelings and I have friends who continued seeing their previous therapist when the started transition.   But in reality not all are comfortable with gender or sexuality so if at all possible seek out someone with Gender qualifications.

All my best!

Jani

5 hours ago, Jani said:

Great, I hope you find someone that is a good fit for you.  Generally speaking, they all should be able to address your feelings and I have friends who continued seeing their previous therapist when the started transition.   But in reality not all are comfortable with gender or sexuality so if at all possible seek out someone with Gender qualifications.

All my best!

Jani

Okay, thank you a lot Jani :)

• Admin

All Gender Therapists started out as the garden variety Marriage & Family Therapist who worked on all Behavioral Health needs UNTIL they had their FIRST patient with Gender Dysphoria.  If they were not afraid or prejudiced toward Trans People, they quickly found out what a super great bunch we really are when  properly treated.  They then became Gender Therapists.

• 2 weeks later...