• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

doctor and forms of hrt

Susan

Hello all. So tomorrow is my first doctors appointment for getting on hrt. I am kinda nervous but I am also excited. I am just wondering which form I should take? The pill or patch. I have talked to a couple about it and one says the pill is safe but the other said the patch is better. Should I just ask my doctor or ? Thanks all Susan

• Forum Moderator

It's an exciting time Susan. It's really up to your prescribing doctor to decide what method is best for you personally.

My Dr started me on the patch, and told me this delivery method was safer than pills. I relied on her professional judgement.

Best to you

Cyndi -

• Forum Moderator

I am also on patches as my doctor explained the delivery method was easier on my liver.  I apply them once weekly so there is no forgetting. 

If you go this route, follow the manufacturers instructions for application.  They can generally be placed on the posterior or stomach at waistline.  Clean the area well with witch hazel before applying the patch to remove body oils.  I found that adding a coverage of clear bandage material like Opsite Flexifix or Tagamet (both avail on Amazon) works to keep then well attached in the shower and from rubbing on underwear.  

Best of luck on this new phase of transition.

Jani

• Forum Moderator

I am also on a topical E as it is easier on the body.  Many doctors may well recommend a different route.  It really is between you and your doctor.  For me it has been an amazing journey regardless of the form of HRT.

Enjoy!

Hugs,

Charlize

aww, I'm so happy for you ^_^
I can't wait until I get to that stage! I just have to tell my parents first. ?

Thanks all for the comments. I will talk to my doctor and see what she thinks and I will take her advice. Susan