• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

When insurance billing for GCS goes haywire !

Cyndee

• Admin

All I can say is, "what a nightmare!"  She was smart to alert a press ombudsman to her situation, which may not have been resolved in her favor if she had not done so. 

The surgeon for my orchie billed the insurance company over $20K for a procedure that should not have cost more than $5-8K   It was an outpatient procedure that lasted all of three hours, start to finish.  I was shocked, but the insurance company paid without a squawk.  That's the way the business goes.

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

I heard this tonight and I was appalled at the amount the hospital charged the insurance company.  I understand they bill higher to get the net amount they want but 5 times!  That is insane.  

Jani

That is what happened to my insurer, of course I know they did not pay that much in the end. It is a bit scary to see that though, especially when you know that the surgery is 30K or less in cash.