• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The Past Shaded Pink

VickySGV

• Admin

This article brings up a problem that may affect us for all of our lives.  We and others do not have memories of us as our Now Selves.  Maybe we never can get away from out past, but can learn to embrace it and celebrate it, no matter what we may cry to the winds of change.

https://www.themaven.net/transgenderuniverse/articles/the-past-shaded-pink-Erc9AgUVnEqtIE5tdJF5YQ/

• Forum Moderator

This is a good article.  I think if you change the authors name and pronouns to male expressions the same is true for the guys.  I liked this opening quote. 

"Memory is constructed as much as it is recalled. We own our pasts in a highly personal way: our imaginations fill in gaps as we remember bits."  ..."What I wasn’t prepared for was how completely the now can shift recalling the past."

and this...

"My mum would tell me to not get wrapped up in the outcome. She didn’t mean to not think about the future, but it’s a way of keeping oneself open to what may come."

Thanks for posting it.

Jani

• 2 weeks later...

That was a very good article.  Thought-provoking. 

I'm a trans guy and HAD to wear dresses or skirts to school when I was a kid, in the 60s.  Other than that, though, my memories have a sort of dichotomy.  I FELT like a boy, playing football, climbing trees, in my cowboy suit and playing with my Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars.  But I also remember the savage joy of the day when I COULD wear pants to school, as well as the frustration of being trapped in Home Ec class, instead of able to go to Shop.  Things like that. 

Did we all do that?