• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

WestJet Flight Attendant Outs a Trans Woman During Flight

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

I don't know but they sure are close! 

You'd think with all the recent news about this type of thing that people in customer service positions would be more aware and discreet.  

Jani

• Admin

I am not sure whether I have been just plain lucky, or am too stupid to care about some people who have "outed" me in public transportation situations.  At least two of the situations had some small chuckles associated with them.  On TSA ID screener looked at my DL where the name matched the boarding pass, but I was traveling with a wig on.  Her comment was simply "Gosh has your hair grown since this picture was taken!".  No further problems until I made a plane change in Utah where they did ask to see my ID again, and the ID checker just stared at me, even after telling me to go on board.  That one was the least tasteful of the two.  None of the other passengers even looked my way though, and my worst problem on the flight was that I was in a middle seat, and the two males on either side of me were talking business across me and going through about 4 hard drinks apiece, totally ignoring me. 

The flight attendant on this one should get a downcheck since one of her co-workers told her things were OK and to go back to work at the beginning.  The FA was a nosy little biscuit who primarily was not doing her job.  As I supervisor myself where identity of a person was important and I was called to make a call, my employee going back to catch me in an error cost at least one of my crew a promotion twice.  It was neither stupidity or ignorance, it was misplaced and unearned self importance.  Paranoia was ruled out.